It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colossal star explosion most powerful supernova ever detected

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
SOURCE: Jonathan Amos BBC Science Correspondent

Snippet:

Astronomers have seen what could be the most powerful supernova ever detected. The exploding star was first observed back in June last year but is still radiating vast amounts of energy. At its peak, the event was 200 times more powerful than a typical supernova, making it shine with 570 billion times the brightness of our Sun.

I am sure with our modern sensors a great deal of information is currently being gathered from this event. What is interesting to me is the duration of this event. The article explains it pretty well. Looking forward to the follow on data as it is gathered and processed.

edit on 01pm2016-01-14T16:45:57-06:0004451America/Chicago45131 by machineintelligence because: errata

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

It doesn't say how far it is from us, but this shows what it would look like from 10 thousand light years away!

I looked on Sky and Telescope and it says -

www.skyandtelescope.com...

Spectra have confirmed that the object's blue-colored light has been traveling toward Earth for the past 2.8 billion years -

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Wow. Our star was pretty young when this explosion took place. The scale of the universe is described in the light years that it takes for us to see events that happened so long ago but appear to us just now.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Maybe a new bang.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Makes one wonder what's next in the astronomy field. I expect 2016 will rekindle an interest of what's "out there".

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Wow ! 570 billion times the brightness of our sun. I can not even begin to fathom how bright that is, nor begin to comprehend the enormous amount of energy involved.

The universe is strange and beautiful.

new topics

top topics

join