It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sanders’ Healthcare Plan Will Save Average American Family Nearly $1,200 Per Year

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
There is lot of grumbling about the ACA aka Obamacare, we all know the corporate owned politicians just shoved all of big pharma and HMO's lobbyists requests into a folder and passed it. We know the ACA is for keeping corporate medical profits, not for the benefit of the working class. The polls have been and are still showing the public wants the single payer option also known as medicare for all, or Bernie care.

Here at ATS there seems to be some confusion as to what the cost would be:

PolitiFact has conducted a “fact-checking” analysis of the Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders’ proposed healthcare plan, which promises better healthcare at lower costs for Americans. And despite widespread doubts that it would be possible to pay for Sanders’ proposed plan to expand Medicare to all Americans without increased taxes on middle class Americans, the analysis by the Pulitzer Prize winning project concludes that the Vermont senator’s proposed “Medicare for All” single-payer system would save the average American family and businesses thousands of dollars in healthcare costs.

The analysis estimated that it could save the average family $505 to $1,823 per year.

Although PolitiFact’s estimation of healthcare cost savings under “BerniCare” is significantly lower than the Sanders campaign estimate of a $3,855 to $5,175, Sanders’ supporters argue that the most significant point to note is that PolitiFact has confirmed Sanders’ claim that American households would pay less under his proposed single-payer healthcare system than they are paying under President Barack Obama’s Affordable Care Act (ACA).

source

So Sanders is giving people what they want, rather than shoving what the corporates want down the public’s throat. What a concept, a politician that represents the people!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I think PolitiFact is being a tad conservative here.

My personal opinion is that the final number (savings) would be between PolitiFact's high ($1,823) and BerniCare's low ($3,855), leaning more to the Bernie side.

$2,800-$3,000 ish.

(post by BlueJacket removed for political trolling and baiting)
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So basically, when Obama said I'd save $2,500/year, my premiums went up. Now Bernie is promising that total government control will make save me as much as $1,500 more per year than Obama promised?

Uh-huh, so should I just go file that bankruptcy now to beat the rush?

I can barely afford the extra money Obamacare costs.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad

As we already see, this type of comment is ruined by the failed execution of the ACA.
Now the arguments of why it failed is going to be highly contested, as would be the reasoning WHY the numbers didn't work out for some.
People that got screwed have every reason to be weary of this type of comment.

It saddens me that people think that the ACA is even close to socialized medicine, when I have my tin foil hat on it makes me wonder if that wasn't all part of the plan.
edit on thThu, 14 Jan 2016 15:36:38 -0600America/Chicago120163880 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
So basically, when Obama said I'd save $2,500/year, my premiums went up. Now Bernie is promising that total government control will make save me as much as $1,500 more per year than Obama promised?

Uh-huh, so should I just go file that bankruptcy now to beat the rush?

I can barely afford the extra money Obamacare costs.

No you should just read his policies and realize its not just a bunch of free stuff.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

While I believe it, I think a lot of people are going to be justifiably skeptical when they're told a new health care plan is going to save them $x/year.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan
While I believe it, I think a lot of people are going to be justifiably skeptical when they're told a new health care plan is going to save them $x/year.

Of course they will be.

It's not like there are any other single payer health systems kicking around, giving comparable values/capita or anything...

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
It saddens me that people think that the ACA is even close to socialized medicine, when I have my tin foil hat on it makes me wonder if that wasn't all part of the plan.

This is why, from the beginning, I was saying that it was unlikely that the endgame of the ACA was a one-payer system. I heard accusations that the ACA was just a liberal plant designed to fail so that a single payer system can be ushered in and other similar conspiracy theories. I just never saw that being the case. The ACA is not even CLOSE to socialized anything let alone socialized healthcare. It makes more sense that it would be something designed to sour people's opinions of socialized health care (by mis-characterizing it as such) so that when it fails we DON'T go to a single payer system.

You can even see it in this thread. People who were duped by the ACA lie of saving money aren't believing the statement about Bernie's REAL socialized health care plan.
edit on 14-1-2016 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amicktd

And you should realize that if I think it's going to make me file bankruptcy, I don't think it's "free."

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's because you don't understand. The ACA was designed to be so abusive that people will do exactly what most of you here are doing - crying out for the very same government who passed that law that is abusing you to come in a "save" you with single payer.

What are you people? Battered spouses in real life?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

???? I'm not battered in the slightest. I have health insurance through my work. It's actually pretty decent. It's cost went up a bit when the ACA went into effect, but I can still afford it.

I just want the single payer system because it would be a good idea to have everyone covered under health care instead of having to file bankruptcy every time they go to the hospital without health insurance.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:46 PM
link   

I don't want to to 'saved', just want us to catch up to other first world nations.

Funny how we always hear that we need to take care of our own people first, but the idea of a single payer healthcare gets so chastised.

The ACA was designed to make the private insurance a bunch of money, THEY are the ones that raised all your prices.
Sorry they took advantage of the idea that they get to pass their losses on to you while they get keep all the profit.
The battered wife's still defend that idea now.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Obummer care is truly the Corporates make big profit healthcare plan that was pushed through by the blue dogs and lobbyists. Do you or anyone else think that the action of repealing the ACA in itself would save you money???

Big business want the ACA or no regulations at all to keep their profits high, they fear Sanders cutting into those absurdly high profits, whaaaa!

edit on 14-1-2016 by AlaskanDad because: repelling replaced with repealing lol's

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

???? I'm not battered in the slightest. I have health insurance through my work. It's actually pretty decent. It's cost went up a bit when the ACA went into effect, but I can still afford it.

I just want the single payer system because it would be a good idea to have everyone covered under health care instead of having to file bankruptcy every time they go to the hospital without health insurance.

Why don't we take the reigns off the insurance industry so there can be some actual competition to drive prices down so people can afford it and decouple it from employers so people can shop around?

There are some basic regulatory changes that can be made that would help drive costs down that don't involve upending the entire healthcare market.

I'd try that first. If that doesn't work then we can talk about more extreme measures.

1) Allow interstate competition among insurance companies
2) Transfer all tax credits employers receive to individual tax payers so that insurance is no longer subsidized by employer allowing you to shop around for the best insurance deals. Employers can still offer to do so if they choose, but no longer will you be stuck getting your insurance through your employer.

There is no reason the health insurance market is not like car insurance other than the excessive regulatory barriers that prevent a real competitive market.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That sounds all too tedious and time consuming. Single payer would be a lot more painless and wouldn't require us kowtowing to the insurance industry again.

Answer me this. Why is health insurance even necessary?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

You mean the same first world nations whose sick can afford it come to the US for healthcare when it comes to life saving treatments because we have the best in the world?

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Sremmos80

You mean the same first world nations whose sick can afford it come to the US for healthcare when it comes to life saving treatments because we have the best in the world?

Are you sure we are number 1?
These Are The 36 Countries That Have Better Healthcare Systems Than The US

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Usually some context goes great with a comment like that.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join