It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blood Test Results One Year Later After Going Vegan

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: AnarchoCapitalist

My fasting glucose has steadily declined all the way down to an 82! My total cholesterol dropped significantly after going vegan and has held steady since. Look at those LDL numbers drop like a rock. It’s interesting that my HDL has remained completely flat this whole time, but I suppose it doesn’t matter since I have a total cholesterol of 152, which means statistically, it’s next to impossible for me to contract heart disease no matter what my HDL ratio might be.

Next to impossible? How's your blood pressure? For someone to make such an assumption based off of one study and possible factor in the development of atherosclerosis is pretty childish.

I’m not sure what’s going on with that spike in triglycerides. It’s probably due to the huge amount of carbs, along with alcohol, I consumed over the weekend prior to the blood test.

Most likely the alcohol unless you're also consuming fructose in higher amounts. Fructose and Ethanol are metabolized by the liver and the end product is VLDL and Triglycerides.

Looking at these results, when I see people claiming nonsense like this, I have to question their sanity. I noticed Chris Kresser used that Egg Board funded egg study on cholesterol to back up his absurd claim that dietary cholesterol has no impact on blood cholesterol levels. As you can see by my own results, eliminating dietary cholesterol caused my total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels to drop like a rock. Further, I still consume a modest amount of saturated fat from things like french fries and the occasional processed snack food with coconut oil.

So Chris Kresser who is referencing scientific studies is making absurd statements and is likely insane, but your statements based on anecdotal evidence from a self experiment involving many different factors is to be taken as NOT ABSURD?

That's ridiculous. Out of all of the things you eliminated from your diet, you somehow conclude that it's the dietary cholesterol that caused a drop in lipoproteins? I'm now questioning your own sanity. You don't have the slightest grasp on how biochemical processes work, much less how confounders affect scientific experiments in any way.

Studies that claim to show that dietary cholesterol has no impact on blood cholesterol levels are all completely rigged.

It's not really even a question as to whether dietary cholesterol increases cholesterol or not. There are multiple, corroborated studies showing the exact same thing. Just as eating fat doesn't magically make you fat, eating cholesterol doesn't magically increase blood cholesterol.

As you can see by my own dietary change experiment, it is clear that dietary cholesterol has a massive impact on blood cholesterol levels.

The fact that you insist on your self-experiment as holding any weight removes all credibility.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: AnarchoCapitalist

I can't believe that someone thinks keeping cholesterol under 150 is ideal. Have you read anything about what low cholesterol can do to a person?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DevolutionEvolvd

I can't believe that someone thinks keeping cholesterol under 150 is ideal. Have you read anything about what low cholesterol can do to a person?

I'm aware of the studies done on elderly people showing that low cholesterol is a predictor of early mortality, particularly cancer, and I'm also keenly aware of why those studies have no basis to claim a cause/effect relationship. Low cholesterol in an elderly patient, who is eating a diet containing cholesterol, is likely caused by an underlying condition. It would make sense that if a person is consuming a cholesterol laden diet, yet their total cholesterol is very low, that some bodily process has gone wrong.

Do you understand the difference between having low cholesterol because of a medical condition vs. having low cholesterol because of a vegan diet? For example, we know that low cholesterol is a predictor of cancer in elderly patients. However, when we look at cancer rates among vegans, we see significantly lower cancer rates, lower all cause mortality, and better longevity. If a person is on a vegan diet, obviously they are going to have extremely low cholesterol levels. The average vegan comes in below 150 TC. There are absolutely no papers proving a cause/effect between having low cholesterol and early mortality.

My comment that blood cholesterol can be completely controlled by diet doesn't rely entirely on anecdotal information. We can see that heart disease is reversed with a plant based diet, as proven by angiography, in a randomized control trial. No other diet can claim to show such proof. And there have been hundreds of metabolic ward experiments done where people are fed a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol that demonstrate conclusively that blood cholesterol can be completely controlled by dietary cholesterol/saturated fat intake. In fact, you can do your own dietary change experiment with a home cholesterol testing kit - eat a stick of butter every day and watch your cholesterol shoot up - eat a vegan diet for a week and watch it plummet.

Having high cholesterol means living with a greater risk of heart attack. For every 1 percent increase in the amount of cholesterol in the average American’s blood, there is about a 2 percent increase in the risk of a heart attack; conversely, every 1 percent reduction from the average cholesterol level reduces the risk by about 2 percent.

Incidentally, while the average cholesterol level in the U.S. is 196, the average vegetarian’s cholesterol level is 161 and the average vegan’s cholesterol level is 133. People with cholesterol levels below 150 virtually never have heart attacks, while nearly one-third of meat-eaters will die from one.

edit on 1/20/2016 by AnarchoCapitalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I would be interested to know what your Dairy intake is. I gave it up and everything improved. Even a slightly deaf ear improved significantly.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

I would be interested to know what your Dairy intake is. I gave it up and everything improved. Even a slightly deaf ear improved significantly.

Zero.

Vegans don't eat anything coming from animals.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Zero.

Thanks, but you would have to analyse just about everything to be sure, my thoughts are that the main culprit for a host of medical problems, is the fact that the human body has to waste its immune system dealing with foreign protein . Dairy being the main culprit as its designed for Calf growth not human.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Zero.

Thanks, but you would have to analyse just about everything to be sure, my thoughts are that the main culprit for a host of medical problems, is the fact that the human body has to waste its immune system dealing with foreign protein . Dairy being the main culprit as its designed for Calf growth not human.

I do analyze everything I eat. If I'm unfamiliar with a food product, I would never eat or drink it without reading the label first.

And I agree, diary is just as big a problem as meat. Dairy is also the number one food people have allergic reactions to.

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I was wondering if you feel better then before?

posted on Jan, 20 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
I was wondering if you feel better then before?

Yeah, I do.

I dropped down from 215 to 190 without too much effort. I'm 6'2", so now I have a normal BMI. I look better and I have more energy, which definitely feels better than before. Along with the feeling better, my man parts are functioning better than ever. If anyone is struggling with erectile dysfunction, a long term vegan diet can reverse a lot of the damage caused by cholesterol and saturated fat.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Remember all of the things that vegans do other than not eat meat that make them healthy. These observational and anecdotal points are proof of cause.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DevolutionEvolvd

*Are not

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think you are way off course here. I think a person is much healthier eating ham and eggs than eating potatoes and pasta. Potatoes and pasta are very high glycemic levels(how fast the food turns to sugar) and shouldn't help diabetic patients at all.

The key to health is to eliminate most dairy, all processed and fake sugars, all grains and grain fed meats and don't eat or drink anything above 60 on the gycemic index. Such a diet helped my love one recover 100% from stage 4 cancer and reduced her Cholesterol from over 300 to the 120's a swell as improving all her other blood markers, all while getting Chemo as well. We eat much grass-fed beef and free rage chickens as well as eggs. We also eat uncured pork based meats. We eat many fruits and veggies and limit ourselves to olive and coconut oil. It's basically paleo with some limitations.

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Good luck with that. I am sticking with Steak and Cheese. eggs, butter, ham, Big Macs, for another 50 years of clean arteries.

Near 50, Clean Arteries, and they should not be!
edit on 28-1-2016 by Xeven because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Well you can see the results of pasta and potatoes first hand in my blood tests. Low TC while eating a diet high in cholesterol is a typical sign of cancer, particularly in old age. Its not the diet causing those low readings, it's the disease.

edit on 1/28/2016 by AnarchoCapitalist because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join