It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intriguing New Development on Tabby's Star (KIC 8462852)

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
a reply to: Bedlam

List the data that unequivocally implies a mundane explanation over an alien race building a mega-structure.
No, the absence of alien civilisation discoveries in our history is not that data.

Works both ways.

I'll wait.

Au contraire. It is perfectly valid. We haven't yet detected anything that's identifiably an alien race.

And there's nothing coming from that star that's screaming "aliens" either.

All you know is that the light's varying. To jump from there to "must be alien super science" is illegitimate.

There's nowhere near enough information to conclude anything at this point. Show me some patterned EM or some monochromatic light and I'll rethink it.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
Au contraire. It is perfectly valid. We haven't yet detected anything that's identifiably an alien race.

And there's nothing coming from that star that's screaming "aliens" either.

All you know is that the light's varying. To jump from there to "must be alien super science" is illegitimate.

There's nowhere near enough information to conclude anything at this point. Show me some patterned EM or some monochromatic light and I'll rethink it.

Au contraire au contraire. In this case, it is most certainly not. It shows statistical favorability, but not an unequivocal implication.

Agreed.

I'm not jumping to that.

We aren't concluding anything at this point - it is confirmed as neither aliens or any other such explanation. (Equipment error, natural phenomena, etc.)

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
To my understanding H0 (H-zero) is still prevailing in this case. Simple light amplitude variation can be explained by various mechanism.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: StanFL
a reply to: StanFL

I guess everybody knows that it looks like the dimming is from poor calibration of the very old Harvard University Observatory photographic plates. False alarm...

Dr. Schaefer has responded to the new paper by M. Hippke, and D. Angerhausen, which ascribed the apparent gradual dimming of Tabby's Star over a century to calibration errors in the Harvard Observatory photographs. He has ably defended his original findings.
As a experienced stellar photometrist, he was careful to eliminate sources of error from his analysis. This is apparently something his detractors did not do, in their own analysis of the images. See link below for more information on this:

www.centauri-dreams.org...
edit on 29-1-2016 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   

a reply to: bottleslingguy

List the data that unequivocally imply an alien race is building Dyson spheres over some more mundane explanation.

I'll wait.

must suck to be you lol

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 12:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: bottleslingguy

List the data that unequivocally imply an alien race is building Dyson spheres over some more mundane explanation.

I'll wait.

must suck to be you lol

Interesting. I'd say the same about you, because I find credulity, ignorance and jumping to unwarranted conclusions to be the sign of being a dolt. I guess we all have our preferences.

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
We aren't concluding anything at this point - it is confirmed as neither aliens or any other such explanation. (Equipment error, natural phenomena, etc.)

Well, it's gotta be something.

And it'll be interesting to find out what it is, if we ever do.

(peeks) If you buy Kindle books, I see they finally digitized "The Wanderer" by Fritz Lieber. It was written in 64, so it's somewhat to very dated, but the story is sort of wildly applicable to this thread, and it's only $3.99.

10 cent synopsis from memory, and some of this might be mixed up with the first part of Forge of God:

Astronomers spot anomalous gravity lensing that's coming and going. No one knows what that means. And a few stars are dimming. But people are really interested in it, and you get the same sorts of discourse in this thread.

And then something shows up in Lunar orbit. Only it's big. Really, really big. Not dense, but huge. It's spherical, it's decorated in yellow and purple. And it starts chopping the Moon up, and eating it. We have a Lunar colony in the book, so we're sort of pissed off over it.

The Earth is being wracked by all sorts of tidal forces, truly end times weather, earthquakes, vulcanism and the like. It's TEOTWAWKI.

The thing doesn't communicate. But a large number of small vehicles that are similarly colored show up and start stabilizing the disasters, as they can.

After a scene where there's a big MUFON meeting that sounds just like this thread as well, a few of the characters end up abducted so the author can have a few exposition scenes to explain what's going on.

The big object is a starship called "The Wanderer". The inhabitants are wildly mixed races from lumps of rock to vaguely humanoid, but none of them are anything like people. The lensing bursts are craft entering and exiting warp. And they're on the run from orthodoxy police. The ship is fueled by total conversion, the drive requires the energy of conversion of huge amounts of space crap, like the Moon, which will fuel about four jumps.

They picked the Moon to consume instead of, say, Europa because they don't think the space cops will fire on them due to Earth.

And they had some news to pass on. The entire Galaxy is Dyson shells, with the exception of the backwater slum/game preserve we're in. It's already done. It's just that the light hasn't reached us yet. It's one big housing development. And it's run by a single fascist government that makes 1984 look like Woodstock. And shortly, our astronomers will begin to observe all the stars begin to dim and go out, as the Dyson sphere building images reach us. That being the case, our usefulness as a game preserve is over, and it's our turn.

They're the last bastion of liberalism/progressivism, they stole the planet, and they're running for it. You can't jump to another galaxy, because you can't get far enough before you need to refuel and there's not enough lumpy crap in intergalactic space. There is an untried theory that you can do a cross-dimensional jump and do it, but jump theory is the sole province of the Government, and they're not sure of the math they worked out.

Eventually there's a big space battle that concludes it, and I'm sure Sol is on the list to get a shiny new Dyson sphere in the novel's setting.

So maybe this is the housing developers coming to build a nice slum high rise near us, in the name of a fascist Galactic government. Keep an eye out for anomalous lensing events.

edit on 30-1-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

I'll wait.

must suck to be you lol

Interesting. I'd say the same about you, because I find credulity, ignorance and jumping to unwarranted conclusions to be the sign of being a dolt. I guess we all have our preferences.

lol thanks!
I guess one man's trash.... hunh?
Thing is can you say as much about my "unwarranted conclusion" if people like Kaku agree with it? I don't think anybody is saying anything conclusively at this point. You are acting a little hyper-sensitive over possibilities. what's up with that?

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Thing is can you say as much about my "unwarranted conclusion" if people like Kaku agree with it? I don't think anybody is saying anything conclusively at this point. You are acting a little hyper-sensitive over possibilities. what's up with that?

Not at all. If you want to see little space buddies in every new event, it's yours to do.

BTW, Kaku makes his living on TV appearances and pre-chewed 'golly gee' popular science books for the most part. If saying "Sure! It's really possible that it's space aliens" sells that sort of thing, well, it is possible. If he said "It's possible, but about as likely given the data we have to be a dancing chorus of space unicorns", then the TV spots and popularized science books go down.

eta: or, of course, I'm a paid shill, and you have found me out! That must be it! SHIIIIILLLL!!!!!

edit on 30-1-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I don't really care if you believe in space unicorns rather than other sentient beings like us. Mine is the more plausible consideration seeing how we already know sentient beings exist on this planet. so yer correlation is flawed.

a reply to: Bedlam

posted on Feb, 1 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
The scientific paper that started this whole business about Tabby's Star ( Boyajian, et al) notes that the dips in the star's brightness occur at multiples of about 48 & 1/2 days. Further, that there are two separate sets of dips with this same time distribution, offset from each other by about 1/2 of this period, or 24 days.
This might look like the effects of a planet with a period of about 24 days, except for the fact that most of the times when it should appear, no dip is seen. In the paper, the astronomers noted this ~ 48 day spacing of dips in light output, but assigned no particular significance to it.
Treating the two offset groups of dips separately, and their members serially, I found that they were separated by the following multiples of the ~ 48 & 1/2 day period: Group One--- 2, 9, 15, 16. Group Two--- 6, 15, 6, 1.
These numbers have no immediately obvious significance; nothing that jumps out at you. I finally noticed, though, that nearly all of these are what have long been known as 'figurate numbers', which are based on simple geometric shapes.

From a square made of three parallel rows of three dots each , we get 9. From one made of four rows of four dots we get 16. A hexagon with a dot at each angle gives us 6. One with two sides in common with the first, but with three dots per side, when added to the smaller one, yields 15.
Together, these two simple shapes provide us with all of the numbers in the Tabby''s Star data, above, that are large enough to make geometrical figures. Its seem unlikely that all these numbers would occur together by chance. It seems possible that they reflect a structure made up of objects dimming Tabby's Star.

edit on 1-2-2016 by Ross 54 because: improved paragraph structure

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I see that there is an error in my last post. The first group of temporal spacings, of multiples of the basic 48 & 1/2 day period should read: 2, 9, 15, 1 .

An additional note: the hexagonal numbers can also be gotten from triangles. One with a three dot base, two dot middle, and one dot top makes 6. Add a base of four dots at the bottom to get 15. This supplies three out of four of the numbers in the second group of temporal spacings of the dips in light observed from Tabby's Star: 6, 15, 6, 1 .

In all, five out of eight of these numbers from Tabby's Star, which were reported in Dr. Boyajian's scientific paper, can be gotten by a well known numerical treatment of the two simplest geometric forms, the triangle and the square.
edit on 2-2-2016 by Ross 54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   
A better evocation of the numbers I refer to above can be found in the well known form of the centered triangle. See the link, below for an explanation, and a diagram of this.
It holds, by itself, seven of the eight numbers implied by the dips of light output in Tabby's Star. These are based on multiples of the basic period of 48 & 1/2 days, noted in the scientific paper-- Boyajian,et al-- 'Where's the flux' ?. Again, these are : 2, 9, 15, 1 ; and 6, 15, 6, 1 .
It seems even harder to understand how how all of these can appear in a single geometric figure, and also in the data from the star, by chance.

mathworld.wolfram.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 07:36 PM
link   
so the thing could be a giant triangle or groups of triangles many times larger than Jupiter?

a reply to: Ross 54

posted on Feb, 2 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
It's tempting to think that this could be possible. The triangle is the strongest geometrical shape. The equal-sided triangle is also one of only two shapes that can be linked together solely with duplications of itself to form larger versions of the same shape (the other is the square.) That would probably help simplify construction.
If the megastructure explanation for KIC 8462852 is correct, one would suspect that its makers are quite interested in triangles.
Dr. Freeman Dyson worked out many years ago that it would be possible with conventional materials, as we know them, to make thin, light weight solar collectors in stellar orbit, up to the diameter of a good sized star (~ 1,000,000 miles across.)
edit on 2-2-2016 by Ross 54 because: added information

edit on 2-2-2016 by Ross 54 because: added information

edit on 2-2-2016 by Ross 54 because: improved grammar

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 05:18 AM
link   
fractals

www.askamathematician.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2016 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yes, that's the Sierrpinski Triangle. Interesting connections to cellular automata. Suggests the possibility of a Dyson Swarm constructed by automated, self reproducing machines. This is probably the only practical way to tackle such a truly enormous job. See link, below, for more information.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 7 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I see that the centered triangular numbers, whose perimeters seem to match the intervals between dips in light output from Tabby's Star, have another interesting property. The areas of these same equilateral triangles have the ratios--
1, 4, and 9 . What's so special about these numbers? They happen to be the squares of the first three positive integers, 1, 2, and 3. (1^2, 2^2, 3^2). These same numbers have appeared before, in writings about extraterrestrial intelligence. Does anyone recall where?

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I know 1, 4 and 9 were mentioned in the 2010 movie and book.

Anyway I found another article from Popular Mechanic's about how the James Webb telescope might be able to solve the mystery.

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   
If some race had the ability to construct a Dyson Sphere, I have no doubt they would have the ability to travel to another star.

The only Dyson Sphere you will ever see

Dyson Sphere

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join