It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Say you go hiking and you leave your car on a back logging road.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Say you go hiking deep in the backwoods and you leave your car on a logging road. How risky is that? Like say you left a note to passers by that you've gone hiking and that you're car is to be left alone. ...What about it getting towed? Could that happen? then where would you leave your car if you were going hiking in the backwoods and you could only bring your car so far with you before you'd have to leave it say on a logging road. Is that safe? What's your alternatives??

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I've done it a thousand times....

As long as you leave it on public property you will be fine.. If left on private property, the owner can tow it and you will pay the fee...

Oh yeah, one more thing; I would never leave a note but always tell someone where I am going and when I expect to be back..

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

takes a deep breath

if the logging road is a public highway - then unless there are signs forbiding parking - is SHOULD not get towed

if its a privatye road with permissive access - then contacting the land owner // BLM or the forrestry company that has the lease would be a good idea

alternatives - get a friend // realative to drive you up to the jump off point and collect you from the trail end in 3 days

YMMV - but i NEVER leave a note ` in car ` - as its a open invitation to criminals that the owner will be ansent for a while

NEVER go hiking etc with out leaving a " call out " with someone responsible to call mountain rescure if you dont make youir destination on time

detailing :

the location of your vehicle - its registration
your departure time // start point and planned finnish point // finish time
the time and date that they should allert authorities that you are overdue
which agency to call if you are over due
you phone number // details of any trackers // beacons you carry

thats absolute basics

bottom line - things can happpen to your car - whee ever you leave it - the thing is your plan has to be robust enought to cope with the posibility that your car is not there when you return

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:11 AM
link   

I live in WA. If you go hiking and leave your car on any road, let alone a desolate logging road, the last thing you need to worry about is getting towed. Upon return to your vehicle you'll find a window broken and your belongings gone. If you left anything of value in your vehicle. The tweakers are always on the prowl. It's an unfortunate situation here. Nothing is safe.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Obviously this is something you wish to do. I cannot add much that the above posters haven't stated already, even though I lived on a logging road. If you are worried, have someone else drive you to the destination, AND pick you up at a designated time. That way as well, if you don't show up, someone will know immediately there is a problem. also, I don't recommend back country hiking on a logging road, or any other area until you familiarize yourself with it.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Also done it a bunch of times...and planning to in spring.

If state or government land...let rangers known you're planning to be out there.

Hint: Take anything with your home address n valuables out of the car in case it gets broken into....not likely but it happens.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:54 AM
link   
PS: If its private land....it could get towed out unless you have permission from owners of the road/property

Is: logging company

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I've been overnight backpacking many times, but normally in state parks.

They normally have areas for you to park in, and you don't have to worry about it being towed. Being broken into is another mater and a risk you take.

As others have said: if this is private property, you need to get permission. Hell, if you're hiking on someone's private property you need to get permission for that!

As others have said: ALWAYS make sure you tell people where you are going, when you are going, and when you expect to be back.

Also: You could have a friend drive you and drop you off, and tell them when you be back for you. No car is left anywhere.
Downside of that is if you have an emergency and need that vehicle.

As always: Plan ahead, be careful, and safe trails!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I've done it many times. Leave the doors unlocked and remove any valuables. No broken windows and nothing for any would be thieves to take.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
My friend and I did that in Michigan. We went on a canoe trip and left my car. When we came back my window was busted out. Then again you have to ask if it's bear country. Bears can tear into a car. Otherwise, it should be fine.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:20 PM
link   
okay good advice. I won't leave a note in that case. One idea I had though was to find a cut line of some sort where I could drive my vehicle off the logging road and out of sight. What about that??? Is that smart or not??? I just think that if it's out of sight, out of mind sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I do a lot of wildlife surveys where I have to have a lot of expensive research equipment in the vehicle. A typical day out has me driving as far as the lease road will take me, park, and then It miles into the bush. One thing I've had to learn the unfortunate way is to stash my gear, even the documents in the glove compartment.

You can buy green or dark colored dry bags, some even come in the form of a back pack. I just tuck them in behind a tree a hundred feet into the bush or so. Even though it may take several trips to unload the vehicle, at least I'm not sweating over it the whole time I'm away.

Something else you can do to really reduce possible vandalism is to buy a steering wheel lock and then just leave all of the doors unlocked for whoever would otherwise break a window to rummage around.

And yes, as others have said, file a flight plan so others will have your back.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
okay good advice. I won't leave a note in that case. One idea I had though was to find a cut line of some sort where I could drive my vehicle off the logging road and out of sight. What about that??? Is that smart or not??? I just think that if it's out of sight, out of mind sort of thing.
Depends on the area. How remote it is,or well used. Also depends how long you plan to leave it. One or two days,anyone could think you had a breakdown and just took it off the road. But if you try to hide it or leave it longer,anyone stumbling on it might get suspicious. It really depends so much on the area itself and what you plan to do.

top topics

join