It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sufferers of headaches/migraines: What do you do?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Do you suffer from headaches? Do you get migraines?

I regularly get headaches, at least once a week. I suspect there are a few contributing factors including working from a computer, sitting under fluorescent lights, very bright sun (my city is a very sunny place), and stress. Often I will take some aspirin or neurofin, and for very bad headaches/migraines, I will take a tablet with some codeine.

I have always been susceptible to headaches, but it concerns me that the tablets I take may have a detrimental effect on my health. I often feel groggy after I take some headache medication. I've found that exercise can sometimes help reduce/remove a headache, but not always.

How do you deal with headaches? Any suggestions for ways to deal with this problem?
edit on 14-1-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold
Stress is a real killer. It probably causes most of your headache/migraine pain.

I used to suffer from migraines a lot. There are supposedly pressure points that you can press to help you deal with them but it never worked for me.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Depending on the type of headache, the cure is often different. If it is a headache caused by popcorn, apple cider vinegar with mother, sugar, and water will take care of it. So will a couple tablespoons of pickle juice.

If it is because you ate sulfites or a lot of sulfur food, eating high molybdenum foods or a molybdenum supplement will get rid of those sometimes. Those are sharp and throbbing headaches.

If it is from acetelaldehyde, or a hangover or too much sugars, sometimes the molybdenum will work good, seven up and sprite have that in them.

Could also be too much methyl, then you need to eat some nitrogen foods. If it is too much nitrogen you get a little lightheaded or dizzy when you stand up but it can lead to a headache sometimes.

Too much aged food, eat some chocolate or stick some turmeric into some milk. The organic copper in chocolate can make it all better.

Milk headaches can be taken away almost instantly with pineapple or grapefruit, the enzyme in them works quickly. If you want a pill, you can take Betaine HCL with pepsin and bromalain and papain. That digestive enzyme works pretty fast. These enzymes are denatured by heat over one hundred twenty degrees, so it can't be canned pineapple or grapefruit juice.
I take a multimineral and it knocked out most of my headaches, I researched why it worked. It took a lot of reading of research to conclude this and I have tried it out. One thing I can't tell you though is how to determine what each headache is, you will have to try to experiment with it on your own to put it together. My headaches may be different feeling than yours so it is hard to say what they may feel like to you.

Aspirin works well sometimes and motrin others. Tylenol does nothing for me.

I haven't figured how to get rid of the change of air pressure headaches yet, that is a sinus issue.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:25 AM
link   

yikes. That sucks.

AVOID MSG. LIKE THE PLAGUE. I can eat it, but it sends my mom into a migraine every time. And hydrolyzed whey protein. Avoid that too. And red wine, apparently. I don't have the food sensitivities as a migraine trigger, but i know that many people do.

I get them very infrequently. I get the aura, the sharp stabbing pains, and also flashing light things. I then proceed to have a headache for the next few hours. Sleep is a relief. If you get to sleep before the pain sets in you're good to go. And before that, pop a Midrin. Midrin helps a lot. Thankfully I don't get them very much. But yeah, just avoid light, go into your room, and try to sleep.

a reply to: rickymouse

lol I have no idea what you're talking about, Willis.

When you have a migraine, if you eat, you puke basically. I don't think you can cure it with any of those things. Migraines don't just get cured. You kinda have to wait them out. You can take the edge off the pain but that's about it, honestly.
edit on 14-1-2016 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:57 AM
link   

B group vitamins (with vitamin C) but don't OD on B6.

Lots of water but with a few drops of lemon (makes it more palatable & you don't get that over full feeling).

Coedine & Asprin (Codis) and Maxalon (I/V) when I had a migraine. The Maxalon allows the absorption of the Codis tablet & suppresses the nausea. Also, Sumatriptan helps too if I have a migraine.

Now I have discovered that my migraines correlate with to Hypoglycemia episodes (I am diabetic) so I have to ensure my sugars don't drop too low, while also ensuring that it doesn't go the other way, either.

If you get the hungers and sweats, it may be worth while getting a glucose tolerance test. I was probably diabetic for 20 years before being diagnosed.

edit on 14/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I get headaches that last for three days or more when I eat gluten. I use to get a lot of headaches before I went gluten free but now usually only get them when I eat gluten. Not saying this us why you get them but it could be diet related or the other things you mentioned I usually take panadol or nurofen. Hope you get it sorted.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I've been migraine free for over a yr. now. I use thc in a tincture and make a nice lttle cup of tea if I feel one coming on..

Amazing results. .

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Try this
It may sounds strange but it actually helped for me, might not help for everyone though.
I've been headache-free for couple months now, while before i had them more or less once a week.
When i had headaches i used this trick and couple minutes later they were gone or were significantly less.
Only had to do it on couple occasions, since the last one i never had anymore and that's been 5 months now.

I never took any meds for the pains also, i'd rather suffer than put those in my guts.

Hope it will help for you and others.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:55 AM
link   
If they are true migraines the first thing to understand is that yours are going to be yours and necessarily different from everyone else's. They are highly individual. So you need to create a journal: track weather, food, your personal physical cycles, daily activities and your headaches. Any details you can think of.

You will need to do this for at least months, long enough to begin to see patterns. What you're doing is looking to identify your triggers because there are a lot of things that can cause migraines, but not all of them will cause them for you.

My personal triggers were a mix of weather, light, hormonal with a bit of stress. I also have neck issues with a problem with the nerves and now a bone spur creating problems along my neck's trigger points which also exacerbate things. I only have one food trigger in alcohol and then that's more of a stress issue as I get dehydrated with excess drink.

To manage them, I take daily medication and when I get an attack I use a triptan with a strong dose of anti-inflammatory. My neurologist and I do other things to try to help manage the nerve issue in my neck like trigger point injection when I pinch the heck out of that nerve. But since I cannot take opiates or muscle relaxers without potentially triggering chronic migraine response, I usually am limited to non-medicinal remedies.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Actually the reason you get migraines is because of a lack of certain enzymes which break down the tyramines, particularly glutamates. Increasing that enzyme in the body can often fix the problem. MAO is the enzyme and certain foods increase or decrease activity of this enzyme. So dietary changes can cure the problem for many but not all people. I have reductions in MAOA and MAOB activity and I always had headaches, at least fifty a year even after quitting drinking. Half the sickness and fog from drinking alcohol is because of this problem. Another problem is a problem with aldehydes being detoxed. I looked at what food choices I was medicating myself with, reeses peanut butter cups contain some of the required chemistry to neutralize this.

Look at what you like and then wonder why you like it. Our subconscious does not tell us why we have cravings, it just gives us the cravings.
edit on 14-1-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Agree with ketsuko. Track your food. I have food-triggered migraines. Chocolate, bananas, citrus, aged cheddar, avocados, MSG and several other foods can trigger them. I avoid chocolate and bananas like the plague.

I also have weather-related headaches. A high-pressure system can drive me nuts. Heat works to relieve it a little bit, but I usually end up taking a Sudafed.

Headaches suck! I'm so sorry!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Believe it or not, my migraines subsided after I threw my wife out of the house. I had to pay her to leave, but it was worth it. I guess the stress was what brought on my migraines.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I get classic migraines where you lose your eyesight & it degenerated into numbness that affected my mobility.
Ok.....that's about ridiculous.

I take Max-Alt meltaways
I drew an imaginary line like the Department of Motor Vehicles.....the stupid needs to stand behind the line!

Works like a charm.

For those who don't want to use meds, ok then.....maybe your migraines didn't have you slamming your head against a wall cause it actually feels better, or puking your brains out or screaming cause you know.....daylight. Max-Alt is a miracle drug as far as I'm concerned. Stops a migraine right in it's tracks with no loggy feeling or nausea. You get right back to your daily life it's a flipping miracle!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

I regularly get headaches, at least once a week. I suspect there are a few contributing factors including working from a computer, sitting under fluorescent lights, very bright sun (my city is a very sunny place), and stress. Often I will take some aspirin or neurofin, and for very bad headaches/migraines, I will take a tablet with some codeine.

I have always been susceptible to headaches, but it concerns me that the tablets I take may have a detrimental effect on my health. I often feel groggy after I take some headache medication. I've found that exercise can sometimes help reduce/remove a headache, but not always.

How do you deal with headaches? Any suggestions for ways to deal with this problem?

I was hit by a car when I was 2, I wasn't supposed to survive, but here I am.
Unfortunately, though, it's left me with frequent migraines for my entire life. I'm 36, btw. So that's approximately 33-34 years of on-off again migraines. I remember many years as a kid where it would hurt so bad, that all I could do was sit on the sofa and cry. Oddly enough they just became regular headaches throughout my teen years, only turning into what I call the "moving migraine" in my mid-20's.

SNIP

ATTEN:

Please review this quote from the Terms and Conditions of Use.

i) Narcotics and illicit mind-altering substances, legal or otherwise: discussing personal use or personal experiences as the result of such substances is not allowed in any form.

Having had migraines for almost 34 years, I've tried all sorts of meds, been to the doctors plenty of times, had cat-scans done, all that jazz. They've never been able to figure out what causes them. That's part of the reason why I'm not a fan of going to see doctors anymore, I got tired of spending tons of money on "I don't know's". lol
edit on 1/17/2016 by Blaine91555 because: snipped TAC violation

edit on 1/17/2016 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Life long sufferer of migraines here.

My suggestion: make a headache log. What are your triggers? Do they happen after you've eaten? If so, what did you eat? Do they happen when you haven't eaten? (Low blood sugar.) Do they happen before or after exercise? During stressful times? Find and isolate your triggers or possible triggers and slowly eliminate them to the best of your ability.

When you get a headache, if it's at all possible, try hot/cold therapy. You can use hot towels, ice bags for this, or just hop in the shower. Alternate high temperature with low temperature to confuse the blood vessels into expanding and contracting. This can alleviate some of the pain.

I used to get migraines once or twice a week until I isolated my triggers: sodium nitrites and low blood sugar are my two biggest triggers. Anyways, I get migraines maybe once a month or less these days, and they are lesser in severity.

Hope this helps.

CX

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I get migraines when it gets overcast or stormy. Not sure if it's an air pressure thing.

Stand poceedure for me....painkillers and anti inflammatories, dark glasses, sleep it off, don't talk to anyone....usual with a bout of vomiting in between.

Lovely.

CX.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

My daughter has been suffering for some months. 5 to 7 (or some weeks all 7) days a week...
She has been getting debilitating headaches accompanied by nausea and sometimes vomiting.
She cannot tolerate light, touch, or sound during the episodes. It can last hours. She is, often, unable to eat or drink.
She is also unable to swallow pills or capsules so, we are limited (sort of) to medications that can be taken by sublingual or buccal route or most recently she is trying sprinkles...

I had to laugh (to keep from hitting the Dr.) the other day when she said, "You need to eat better"...Do you realize that she CANNOT eat?! "You need to have regular sleeping habits"...Do you realize that THAT is impossible when she is in PAIN and when she is MEDICATED, THAT is all she CAN do?!"...

She has had blood tests, CT scan, vision tests, vitamins, herbal remedies, "allergy" tests for foods, lots of different meds including drinking promethazine. We have, so far, been unable to figure out what is triggering them, how to relieve the pain, how to relieve the pain without the accompanying "drugged" effect or "coma like" after effects of the medications.

She states and demonstrates that they are occurring on , predominantly, one side of her head. She describes it as being "round" in shape (like a fist).

This is what we do, for now, to try to alleviate her symptoms while waiting for the next scheduled test or procedure, or "hey! let's try THIS medication"...
So sad and frustrating for her...
It really makes a Mom angry, also, when you just can't seem to help!

SMH...

I don't know what the "cure" or answer is to chronic head pain but, I hope to find the answers soon...
She has mentioned suicide...(she is talking with someone).
THAT is a possible side effect of some of the meds...

I feel sorry for anyone having to experience this!
Good luck!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

I have one right now, had it for 2 days. I always get them.
Mine is generally a combination of Lack of water/too much caffiene and not enough sleep.
That creates a toxic sludge in my stomach which manifests itself as a migraine.

My only ways to get rid are:

Stay of the PC and phone (light sensitivity)
Drink more water.
Get some rest.
Cut down on Caffeine or anything else you're doing too much.

EDIT to the guy above. I was like that as a child and the only thing the DR's could say is "stay away from cheese and chocolate and other things"
So i didn't eat chocolate for 10 years, imagine my horror when I had a mars bar in my 20's and I was fine..
edit on 14/1/2016 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

If you can get referred to a neurologist that would be best if your GP can't do the job. Unfortunately many GPs don't understand the size of the problem. I rattled around GPs for years until we got to one who looked the size of my file and said, "I see these migraines are quite an issue for you. I don't think I'm going to try with those. I'm just going to refer you on to a neurologist."

I felt like jumping up and hugging the man.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart
I have a co-worker that gets migraines if he doesn't have his daily caffeine. Coca-Cola is his beverage of choice. His headaches have required hospitalization.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join