It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEVELOPING - Sydney Opera House evacuated, Ferries cancelled, massive police operation underway

page: 1

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Police operations are underway at the Sydney Opera House and in Manly this afternoon.

A NSW Police spokesman confirmed the operation at Manly was linked to the one at the Opera House.

"There’s nothing sinister that has been found at this stage," he said, adding the Manly operation is expected to finish soon.

A NSW Police spokeswoman earlier confirmed an operation was underway at the Opera House this afternoon

Police are clearing people from the area and some ferry services have been cancelled.

The 1.20pm ferry from Manly to Circular Quay has been cancelled due to the operation, a Department of Transport spokeswoman said.

The usually bustling tourist hub has been left eerily quiet, with police seen turning back several pedestrians and bike riders who attempted to approach the area.

Temporary fences are also being erected to keep people back from the Opera House.

Read more at www.9news.com.au...
www.abc.net.au...

Nothing definitive at this stage but I can't help but think it's related to a terrorist threat of some description, especially since it's a high profile public target and all access to and from the Opera House has been restricted.

More info will be posted as it comes to hand.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh no

I pray everyone is ok.

Keep them in your hearts

Love love
AlienSupernova

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   
My guess is its terror related. Why else would this happen? Has anything like this ever happened there before? Hope it turns out to be nothing. Stay safe, friend.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
I don't know how close you are to all of that but keep your head down. Stay safe.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I'm wondering if there is a correlation between this situation and what has just transpired in Jakarta with those bombings and shoot-out at the Starbucks opposite the mall - the timings of both were within the same hour (although there is a 3 hour time difference between Sydney and Jakarta, they were still relatively synchronized) and this appears to be a signature move of ISIS / Jemaah Islamiyah and other terror groups to execute simultaneous attacks on innocent civilians / soft targets.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone, I am on the other side of the country in Perth, Western Australia, but have family and friends over there - I've called them all and they are safe and sound, which I'm very relieved about

edit on 13-1-2016 by Sublimecraft because: spelling + added comment

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I noticed that. It does seem a bit odd.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:42 PM
link   

I agree, almost as if the intel they got either made them think Sydney Op house or was deliberately designed that way.

perhaps, when they spoke about targeting UN in Jakarta, they called it '' the opera '' as a code..

edit on pm1142318132016-01-13T23:42:55-06:00112016p by Agit8dChop because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

I am glad that you and your family and friends are ok. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Here's hoping it was all a drill or a misunderstanding and nobody is injured.
Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Looks like it was a hoax bomb threat. All clear now.

source

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Thanks incoserv - much appreciated.

Here is a further update.....

"Following information on social media, police conducted an operation in the vicinity of the Opera House and Manly ferry terminal as a precautionary measure," police said after concluding operations in the area.

A New South Wales police spokesman was quoted as saying that 'there was a threat'.

A Sydney Opera House employee posted an internal email to Reddit from the head of security, Emergency Planning and Response which said all performances and tours had been cancelled while employees were allowed to stay inside, the report said.

"Colleagues, A security threat has been received by NSW police which they advise may involve the Opera House. Police teams are on the site currently assessing the situation. The site has been closed to the public," the email was quoted as saying by the report.

A police operation was also carried out in Manly area of New South Wales.

According to Fairfax Media, the operation was believed to be prompted by a threat that a bomb was on board a Manly ferry.

www.rediff.com...

new topics

top topics

join