It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pursuing the FamCore Dream

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:54 PM
link   
ATS has become my extended family. I come here on a daily basis to catch up on current events, and to participate in the conversation on various topics that are important to me.

Because ATS is such a big part of my life, I wanted to share.

I’ve heard “if your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough”. I think there is some truth to that – but some dreams are just not meant to be. For years I have been consulting and working with an individual who is very unique and talented in his field. He has met with everyone from Senators, to Hopi leaders, to even a few B-list celebrities. But I’ve been conflicted about taking a big leap of faith, which will require me to leave my current job to transition to working with another organization, on work that isn’t really related to what I’m doing now (although there are many transferrable skills, and I do possess the credentials to make this career change) .
Anyway, for a long time I have thought that this was kind of “just for fun”, something I enjoy and am good at, but could never be a full-time job. I no longer feel this way about it.

The quick and dirty explanation is that the organization I will be transitioning into executes federally sponsored research & development programs in the biotech. industry.

Now, there have been so many obstacles preventing me from making this transition. One of the biggest is the fact that my immediate family members don’t fully support this move – I’m close with my family even though I live in another state, and I typically will involve them (or at least clue them in) in my big life decisions. Up until recently I was reluctant to make this switch primarily because of my family’s viewpoints.

I realize that, although they may not agree with it, this is something that I need to do, and hopefully something that will be good for me. The MOST important thing is that I believe in it, and am willing to go after it.
The next biggest obstacle is the fact that most of the labs and offices under these programs are located too far away (I’m on the east coast of the US, and the biggest demand is for programs on the West Coast). But I’ve been talking with my contact (the primary individual I work with), and with a bunch of sites going active in the next few months, there are plenty of opportunities for me to do this AND stay on the east coast – I’m pretty damn excited about that.

I’ve had dreams about talking over my “career change” with my father, who is strongly opinionated and who I have had a tough past with. But in the dreams, overall he seems supportive. In real life, not as much. But as I mentioned before, this is something I believe in with all of the substance of my being, and I know I would never forgive myself if I don’t at least try to go for it.
I’m also in a very serious relationship, and my significant other has another year + of school to finish before she can move anywhere. I am trying to work out logistics so that I don’t have to live too far away, or can work remotely, but if that doesn’t work out I also don’t see this as something that will stop me from moving forward.

It’s scary to think about family and significant others being upset about this decision.. not to mention leaving my current job where I’ve been at for 5+ years. I’ve committed to being a project leader for some large upcoming projects at my current employer, which should be completed by the end of the summer (mid August it sounds like). I’m also a renter, and my lease here runs out around that same exact time.

At this point in time I hope to be making that transition. This should also give me and my colleague time to figure out logistics for a smooth(ish) transition. And in the meantime, I’m coaching myself, journaling, reflecting, and just trying my very best to stay focused, stay productive, and not scare myself out of it.

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback about this I’d definitely appreciate it – but I really just wanted to put this in writing and share with my ATS friends. Thank you everyone at ATS for being here and for sharing all of the great information found on ATS. Thanks for reading and hopefully by next year at this time I can update everyone on the career change and new life chapter.

FC

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Sometimes you have to take that chance and do it. If it feels right for you, it feels right.

Look, when my husband's door came, we had to close out our old life completely and be totally relocated within a mere two weeks on next to nothing monetarily. It was HUGE and he was only temp to hire, not even promised a full job.

It was an enormous step, but it felt right, so we took the risk and it made his career.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Godspeed in your endeavour FamCore.

Many of us on ATS feel a similar comfort in the community here. So many brilliant and beautiful minds.
edit on 13-1-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Ummm...it almost sounds as if you want us to make the decision for you...

The way you initially described this new position was as if you were unsure if the skill sets from your current position were maybe 50% compatible with the new position...

First questions...what does this new position maximize...?
How do you gain maximum credit from making such a transition...?

I sense this move is of an spiritual nature/advancement...therefore the only method of quantification...would be a measure of expenditure...

Go for it...if you have the chance to measure up under a "master" then apprentice yourself already...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Ultimately, nobody can tell you what to do but you. Follow your conscience and your heart. Do what would be the most fulfilling to you. Good luck!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You're being rather cryptic about this. i suspect there are some ethical issues involved. But the bottom line is that your "family" doesn't get to live your life; you do. They're not responsible; you are.

You do not need to justify to them what you are doing. You're an adult, right? What's the problem again?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I will give you two things to think about.

1. When I was a young girl, it seems like a gazillion years ago, my father told me if I have the choice between a job that pays $50 an hour that I hate, and one that pays $5 an hour that I love, take the $5 an hour job. He said the only thing in your life that you spend as much time doing as working, is sleeping.

I followed his advice and walked away from more than one extremely well paying job, because it became a misery that was eating away at my core. I have not to this day, regretted walking away from a job that I hated.

2. Don't ever sell yourself short. No company is going to pay you more than you think you are worth, and will purchase your skills, talents, and knowledge, at clearance sale prices, if you are willing to make that deal.

I was lucky enough to learn this when I was offered a job, that required a knowledge of a particular task that was completely foreign to me. When I rejected the offer because of this lack of knowledge, I was told they didn't need me to know how to perform the task that went with the job. They said they could teach almost anyone to do the main task required in the job, it was my skill set that set me apart, and why they wanted me to work for their company.

I still wasn't that interested in the position, until they made it clear how much they valued my skill set, and we made a contractual agreement that was more than satisfactory for the both of us.

We often forget that we bring a lot to the table as employees of a company. That experience includes a lot more than being able to perform a simple task, no matter how well you perform it. We grow bored, dissatisfied, and become stunted, when we are locked into positions that do not provide growth, mobility, and innovation.

Just a couple of things to think about that may help.

edit on 13-1-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Clean up.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Fam my friend, you know the answer. It's time to experience our Uberlords generosity, just be sure you deliver the goods.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

You're right, I left out certain details to protect the identity of my blood relative, who is also the one overseeing these research programs.

I have talked about this many times before so I might as well give you more context about what the research is all about - it's medicinal cannabis, which is also why some of my immediate family members are opposed to my decision to move into this type of work.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

You're right, I left out certain details to protect the identity of my blood relative, who is also the one overseeing these research programs.

I have talked about this many times before so I might as well give you more context about what the research is all about - it's medicinal cannabis, which is also why some of my immediate family members are opposed to my decision to move into this type of work.

Medicinal cannabis you say?

All i have to say is this:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   

FamCore,

Let me put things in perspective. I have no opportunities outside of my current profession. No qualifications worth a damn. Just about the only thing I do well, other than my job, is writing poetry and short fiction, and because I have a day job which kicks my rear on a daily basis, I do not get nearly enough time to do that stuff these days.

But on top of that, there are people relying on me to do what I do, every day. My mother relies on it, and my son, who will inherit whatever is left of the company by the time I pass on, is relying on it, although he has no conception of that just yet. He still thinks that "YOUTUBE MEGASTARDOOOOOOOM!" is his safest bet for job security in the future...he may be right, but a father has to do, what a father has to do, and I intend to do it.

Now, if you said to me, "TrueBrit, you now have no one depending on your success or failure, presence or absence, and nothing you do has any consequence, but for yourself...what are you going to do?" I would elect to bugger off to a remote valley in Wales, write book after book of poetry, sell as much of it as possible, and publish several political pamphlets decrying the conservative ideal to boot, and hand them out free at bus stations, soup kitchens, libraries, parks, and outside the Houses of Parliament.

I guess what I am trying to get across, is that if you have no one depending on you for the stability of their living situation, or indeed their future well being, then my advice would be to do whatever the hell it is you want to do. Donate your body to an ill advised effort to create the first fully integrated cyborg lifeform. Help to create an army of semi-robotic killer hamsters, design and produce a sentient AI with organic logic circuits, which will one day take over the internet, and hypnotise world leaders with constant barrages of cute cat pics, and videos of puppies taking care of babies. Do whatever floats your boat sir, because you can, and while you can, you probably should.

And for goodness sake, do let us know how it all turns out!

edit on 13-1-2016 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: OneGoal

yes, including pure cannabinoid extracts (such as CBD, which doesn't even give you the "high" effect, so it can be used for medical treatments in children, pets. etc.)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:39 PM
link   

yes, including pure cannabinoid extracts (such as CBD, which doesn't even give you the "high" effect, so it can be used for medical treatments in children, pets. etc.)

More power to you.

CBD has many uses for both mental and physical disorders and ailments.

THC is harder to define. I could talk about it personally as i have much experience, but i will bide my time for now.
edit on 13-1-2016 by OneGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

You literally could NOT speak about your personal experience here, because that would be a violation of the terms and conditions of the site, and a pretty thorough one at that. Just an FYI, its a good idea to read the terms and conditions here, because as great as this place is, it may harm your user experience if you fail to adhere to them.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well aware. Thanks Truebrit. I always enjoy and appreciate your posts.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Look, I don't necessarily approve of the object, but I also know that it needs study. There are too many advocates who make miracle claims out there. If my husband were to be offered a darn good job studying it ... I'd tell him to take it. I know it needs to be done.

Your family needs to understand that, and you need to understand that you need to do what is best for you.
edit on 13-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

executes federally sponsored research & development programs in the biotech industry.

Do you have the actual credentials (at the highest levels) to qualify for this position? If so, are you being used to land the contract?
When does the funding for these programs expire? If you're not familiar with government contracting ...
Are you willing to take (and can you pass) a urinalysis?
Is there a security clearance requirement?
Can you pass a polygraph exam?

No answers necessary. Just helping you think a little outside the box. If you decide to commit here, I can tell you there are some extremely interesting overseas programs you can springboard into.

new topics

top topics

join