It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mrs Obama's $2,095 Dress at the State of the Union Address

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I would imagine that Mrs Obama has personal assistants/stylists that also shop for her. This particular dress was sold at Neiman Marcus and went on sale on Black Friday for around $600 dollars. I would imagine that her assistant was forewarned of the upcoming sale and that's when it got snapped it up.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
a reply to: bucsarg

The message is that SOME people, will go to any lengths to criticize those two for no apparent reason.

~Tenth

No. The observation is that what was expedient in 2009, at the height of the financial crisis, is today glossed over and unimportant despite the many struggles of the citizenry.

There were some stats put up yesterday prior to the SOTU that indicated that a majority of Americans still felt that the economy was huge issue. The Obama's, however, must not feel that way.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Should she have worn sweats?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Of course. I'm sure Nancy Reagan shed a proud tear.

a reply to: zazzafrazz

Girl, you know that's a straw man. There are any number of fashionable and attractive suits or dresses she could wear without going to Dress Barn. Or Neiman Marcus for $2000 plus dollars.

edit on 1/13/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The dress is lovely, she looked very stately. it sold out in 1 hour, there you go she supported the economy.
I believe in freedom of speech, and freedom on how to spend your own money on what clothes you want.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

Aren't you glad they are just one of us Middleclass Americans.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

I believe in freedom of speech, and freedom on how to spend your own money on what clothes you want.

Oh absolutely, there is no disputing that. But what she chooses speaks volumes and people are also free to talk about it.

edit on 1/13/2016 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don't understand the problem.
This is not important.
She wanted to look nice. And she apparently sold a lot of dresses by doing this.
Seems good for business.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Here's how Joanna Rosholm, press secretary to the first lady, explains it: "Mrs. Obama pays for her clothing. For official events of public or historic significance, such as a state visit, the first lady's clothes may be given as a gift by a designer and accepted on behalf of the U.S. government. They are then stored by the National Archives.''

Designer outfits are donated. The designers gets the publicity then jack up the prices of their other outfits to cover the cost of the materials.

They always make a ridiculous profit off what some people are willing to pay for show.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
This is nothing compared to some of the other expenses Obama has racked up during his personal time as POTUS, at the tax payers expense of course...

Judicial Watch announced today that it has obtained flight expense records from the U.S. Department of the Air Force revealing that President Obama incurred $7,396,531.20 in flight expenses alone for his 2013 vacations to Hawaii and Martha's Vineyard and his trip to California to appear on the Jay Leno Show.

First Family Vacations
edit on 13-1-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Quality fabrics cost a lot. It is also about the tailoring, fit and finish.

Of course it is and for women you can still get gorgeous outfits with quality fabric and a great fit. Unless a dress is studded with real gold and diamonds or whatever, it isn't worth a couple of thousand dollars. Some women really need to learn how to shop. LOL

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Welcome to hypocrites anonymous !!!

Watch what I do, but don't do it yourself.

In the case of our President "Do as I say do , not as I do"

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Oh absolutely, there is no disputing that. But what she chooses speaks volumes and people are also free to talk about it.

You could NOT have said that better

The following is not directed at you kosmikjack....but of the people who are overly concerned on Michelle's wardrobe "speaking volumes"

Please see number 7 in the following link

www.instyle.com...

(oops - are we also speaking volumes on Mrs. Reagan or does it only count for Michelle? Doesn't matter that she hand made it...$22,500....1981 value no less)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Are you equally upset about this?

archives.politicususa.com...

I would imagine not...you know...since it's GWB and all

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

It's funny how you just assume that I care more about one incompetent president then another incompetent president. It's that kind of divisive left-right brainwashing that is preventing real change in America.

I thought I would stay on topic considering the OP is about Obama, not the other self-entitled presidents who also consider themselves to be royalty.
edit on 16-1-2016 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join