It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God save the Queen to be removed from national anthem??

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: OpenEars123

I am both religious, and somewhat of a royalist, so naturally I oppose ANY change to our national anthem of any kind, for any reason, either now, or in the future.

However, I know plenty of atheists who would not want to see the anthem changed, because they see no reason to inflict their views on others, or change traditions by the doing of it. This is, in fact, what marks them out from many other groups and organisations, religious or otherwise. One might suggest, that an atheist who is trying to change the world they live in to fit their beliefs, has missed the point of atheism entirely.

I imagine you are one of the few people who still stands for the national anthem and knows ALL of the words

As to the OP I am an atheist, dislike most sports and have no real opinion either way about the queen so could not care less.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

That would be sad, I quite liked the Sex Pistols, in their day.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The more secular we become the more deprived we become.

~ Secular Societies Fare Better Than Religious Societies

~ Wealthier nations tend to be less religious

~ Happiest Countries are the Least Religious

The facts say otherwise

According to your chart, you are too late, Britain is already secular.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Of course I stand for it.

Singing while sitting down reduces ones vocal output by a significant degree.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:28 PM
link   

I am both religious, and somewhat of a royalist, so naturally I oppose ANY change to our national anthem of any kind, for any reason, either now, or in the future.

However, I know plenty of atheists who would not want to see the anthem changed, because they see no reason to inflict their views on others, or change traditions by the doing of it. This is, in fact, what marks them out from many other groups and organisations, religious or otherwise. One might suggest, that an atheist who is trying to change the world they live in to fit their beliefs, has missed the point of atheism entirely.

You must have missed the threads along the lines of 'why should I be subjected to Christmas?' that appear every November and December on here then, and I can tell you they are always started by atheists - as atheism is a personal belief and not a group one, you can't take the opinion of one or even several as being representative of some sort of manifesto. Anyway, slightly off topic I guess.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Well not really I am sure I could go off and find studies proving a link to happier lives and religion on a much more individual level.

Possibly, but your comment wasn't on an individualistic level, it was on a national one, and my links show that the statement that secular society goes along with positive effects, rather than a negative one like you stated earlier.

If you want to prove it on an individualistic perspective, you can go ahead and find studies on it, but we're not talking about individuals, we're talking about nations.

It's not quite as simple as saying here are two links your opinion is wrong.

Three*, and I could find more if you'd like.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

a reply to: nonspecific

Of course I stand for it.

Singing while sitting down reduces ones vocal output by a significant degree.

Do you also salute and stick your tounge out Benny Hill style?

I can imagine that somehow.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
We need something that accurately reflects our culture and upholds English virtues. Maybe change it to Vindaloo by Fat Les

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:02 PM
link   
As an American, I have trouble with both.

What is that supposed to mean anyway, God Save the Queen?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
In this context, "save" = "keep safe".
It's about stability of government. Hence the verse about dealing with the country's enemies;
"Confound their politics
Frustrate their knavish tricks".

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   
As an upstanding (or downsitting, or even supine) Ahmurican, I think they should KEEP the "God Save...anyone" in our fine title track.

And it ain't fellow "English" ... it's "Muricans" ... shhheeeesh ... read a book once in a while.

**I want to be very clear that the above is poor parody mocking a certain segment of the U.S. population and in no way reflects my own misinformation and ignorance... I get you're speaking of the U.K. and think the notion to remove the line is a fine one.**

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:18 PM
link   
@nonspecific, because the whims of the internet will not allow me to reply for some reason.

I do not salute at all, because I am not, nor have I ever been a member of our armed forces, or indeed our law enforcement agencies.

Basic etiquette and decorum old chap, do catch up!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I think they should keep "God Save the Queen" but replace the rest of the song with the classic Sex Pistols ditty:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I agree, and for the record I am not an atheist. More agnostic if anything.
I oppose the word God in the national anthem because it is based on a religious God, and I don't believe in religion.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In this context, "save" = "keep safe".
It's about stability of government.

God save the queen from her enemies then. England always had a lot of those.

Over here we're less about personage. Its just, "God Bless America."

I think God was on our side when it came time to choose between the Crown and the Colonies, lol.

I think we both lost it, though.

Now its just another slogan.

Lawyers, guns an money defend the realm.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123

originally posted by: DISRAELI
For decades now, the stands at England football games have been ringing to the sound of "God save our team".
Do you want to stop that as well?

Of course not! I MUCH prefer that, just remove the word God. Not everyone believes any more you know? It's 2016 and religion is on its way out (excluding Muslims) but that's a whole nother thread.

Based on what exactly? What you've seen here on ATS? got any sources to back up that claim? or should we just do what you want because you prefer it.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpenEars123
I love the idea.

Not because of other countries feeling uncomfortable singing the words, but because for 2016 I feel it is disgustingly presumptuous that everyone believes in god, when clearly (especially in this day and age) a lot of people don't.

I would feel a lot more pride about my national anthem if it removed the word God. I'm not so bothered about the word Queen, although I am definitely not a 'royalist'

So what do my fellow English men/women feel?

Obviously if you are religious or a royalist you will disagree, and I wholeheartedly respect that and won't tell you you're wrong, each to their own.

m.bbc.co.uk...

Thanks

isn't this more about having an anthem peculiar to England, as does the Welsh and Scots have their country's national anthem, as opposed to God save the queen which is really a recognition of the United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, (not as theothersideofthecoin has written in his/hers avatar..hrrrump!)
The only problems I see, is that if the Queen is present anywhere, say like a rugger match in Scotland, there is a need to do the two jobs..
the other is Northern Ireland...Meh! maybe there is a song for Northern Ireland I don't know.
I noticed on the ITV channels today that they..(ITV) are suggesting/AKA pushing, 'Jerusalem' not sure if they mean just the music or what? I dunno about that, nice tune though.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:10 PM
link   

As long as it's not removed from the Sex Pistols song!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Lawyers, guns an money defend the realm.

Too true, though there are a few grunts and several thousand megatons of nuclear "end- it-all" to consider, too.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:21 PM
link   
For one, any one knows that is up to the Queen, whether we sing about her salvation or not. Secondly, if it is prayer, incorporated into a national anthem, this not only goes against the claim that the commonwealth is a secular state, also, are we to stand on a corner and proclaim our righteousness? Something sure seems to be off, in the Denmark of doublespeak.
edit on 13-1-2016 by kenzohattori69 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join