It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Reason Poverty Exists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
We have the resources to provide, we have the technology to provide, we have the workforce to provide ten times over, the reason we don't is greed plain and simple. This will be my shortest thread post because it's a very simple concept.

As long as we work for needs, big business has all the power, as that need forces we the people to beg at their feet to service them for table scraps. This allows them to use us, and abuse us to their hearts content. It allows them to engage us in unfair, and unequal trade. Where we give more than we receive.

If we work for wants instead of need, however, the situation reverses. It instead empowers we the people, as it forces big business to have to entice us to work for them. It puts on more equal ground in negotiations. Since we don't need to work for them, they can't just walk all over us. As a result, when we work, it will be because it feels like a fair and worthwhile trade. At that point your not working because you have to, but because you want to.

This is why poverty exists, and continues to exist, to foster desperation so that we the people can be taken advantage of in deals counter our best interests, as our very lives are held hostage. It's not a fair contract between most employers and employees, as the root of most employment is coercion.
edit on 1/13/2016 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Controlled scarcity.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The system was set up to fail to begin with in my opinion. When the economy goes under, who are we going to turn to for help? The ones who ran it into the ground to begin with and profited off of it, the ones with billions sitting in their offshore accounts.
edit on 1/13/2016 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

The problem as I see it is they are already holding all the cards.

People don't have much of a choice to work for what they want, they just know that next paycheck better be coming or Little Jimmy can't get the medicine he needs.

I totally agree with this though - we do have the resources, technology, etc. for everyone to at least be fed and housed... but that won't happen unless society gets turned over on its head and there is an opportunity to re-structure the power

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   

At some point you will have to grow up and earn your own way. The world is not rainbows and unicorn tears. Yes, if everyone worked together and sang kumbaya around the campfire there would be no hunger, wars, poverty, global warming, and orgies with unlimited wine.

There has always been poverty and always will be poverty. All you can do is get out of the way so people have a chance to remove themselves or their family from it. Some will succeed. Some will fail. That is the circle of life my friend.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Poverty Exists because there is a yin to very yang

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Defeatism and excuses for the corrupt in every word of that drivel.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   
we are a consumer based oligarchy stop consuming and pppppfffffttttttt she is gone
We had a water main break try living without running water for 4 days.
edit on 13-1-2016 by raypsi13 because: fyi

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   
And just how is it that people would get themselves into a financial position whereby they could elect to work, or not work?

Perpetual access to Welfare that pays a Middle-Class income?

I think you also left out other facets of how/when/where poverty exists. Things like:

1) lack of education/skills
2) lack of ambition/effort
3) mental health or substance abuse issues
4) lack of resources or infrastructure in close proximity to people

Among other things, that have nothing to do with a ruling-class wanting to enslave a hapless (but otherwise capable) population.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Give a room full of 100 people a stack of lumber, a box of nails, a hammer and a saw each and in time you will have 100 houses; only someone is still going to have a stack of lumber, a box of nails as well as their hammer and saw.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I'm starting to sound like a broken record but modern economics is too convoluted and unbalanced for it's own good and that will lead to poverty.

In a simpler time goods were exchanged for currency and taxes were paid. Now we have stocks, bonds, inflation, exchange rates, interest rates, investment portfolios...Jobs will continue go as long as their employers continue to play wall street roulette.

Wall street, Hang Seng-the players on those courts will be the death of the modern economy.

edit on 13-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Poverty is necessary to provide a sword for those who want to control us. If we see poverty we will think twice about questioning society and government.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

We are playing musical chairs not realising there are enough chairs for everyone. It's a system based on ideology, instead of based on the possibilities of reality. Socially, we are not very concerned by reality as much as we are concerned by reality in the scientific activities. In science, reality is a permanent referent and ideology has very little room to breathe, and that is why it is so efficient : ideas and theories are constantly re-examined and refreshed, while socially the process is very slow because the interface with reality is distorted by ideologies : all we do is confronting ideas with other ideas instead of confronting ideas with reality.

I believe like some people that the 21st century is going to be the century of social science.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:21 PM
link   

We have the resources to provide, we have the technology to provide, we have the workforce to provide ten times over, the reason we don't is greed plain and simple. This will be my shortest thread post because it's a very simple concept.

I think it is greedy to expect someone else to pay for your expenses in life.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
And just how is it that people would get themselves into a financial position whereby they could elect to work, or not work?

Try getting a job when the Chinese put you out of business.
Or when the Saudi's crash the price of Oil and put you out of work in the oil fields.
edit on 13-1-2016 by raypsi13 because: fyi

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   
People are poor because the value of human capital is diminishing. Without the knowledge, the ambition, or solid community, the hopes of advancing greatly decreases. Someone with the knowledge, the ambition, and a solid community, can advance dramatically out of poverty to wealth. Those who make themselves valuable will be valuable. Those who don't will not be.

Big business isn't getting their profits from highway robbery, but from people who are willingly handing over their money. People consume despite not having the resources to do so for their own reasons, not because "big business" is forcing them to. It's a simple matter of putting one's wealth back into his own pocket instead of squandering it to someone else because some commercial said we should. Stop buying it. If one isn't getting paid enough, do not work there. If a community is crime and poverty-ridden, move. No gun is at anyone's head.

Yes; circumstances are never fair, but circumstances can be changed. Look at Oprah. The poor are not blameless.
edit on 13-1-2016 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I think it is greedy to expect someone else to pay for your expenses in life.

Where did the OP say that one should wait for others "to pay for expenses in life" ? I can't find it.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
What is the purpose of a financial penalty.
I suggest that it is to teach a lesson.

What are we learning, then, in these economic times?
    • That the money masters have to keep us poor, or military enlistment dries up.
    • That we are 1000 times more productive per person than the 20's, but can't afford to buy a house without a loan.
    • That all scarcity in the modern world is by design, to keep demand high.

Poverty is proof of corruption in high places

Mike Grouchy
edit on 13-1-2016 by mikegrouchy because: format

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: Edumakated

Defeatism and excuses for the corrupt in every word of that drivel.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics."

-Thomas Sowell

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Big corporations have hijacked governments, pushing for certain laws, so yes it is robbery and they are forcing people to function the way they want. Your vision of those matters is very short.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join