It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cat behavior questions

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Teddy916

We don't what gender either cat is. My family and I usually refer to Kitty as a "female". Though it's not confirmed. And we don't know nothing about this cat. The only other cats Kitty socialized with where cats my neighbors owned: one adult siamese and two friendly, curious kittens.

How would someone tell if a cat's male or female without harming it?

It's easy. If the cat is a feral male, it'll be unaltered. Look for the testicles. They'll be very easy to spot, right underneath the anus on an unaltered adult male cat. Fuzzy, roundish things the same color as the animal's fur (usually).

As far as your cat's behavior, it could be many things. She could actually be ok with this cat sharing her things. If she were intimidated or scared, you'd know it. She would not calmly sit there and allow it to munch on her food. She could have had a litter of kittens that you don't know about, stashed somewhere. She could be inside someone's home too; just because she doesn't like to go inside yours does not mean she doesn't go inside elsewhere. Or...she could be ill. If she hasn't been eating her food at all, regardless of the presence of the other cat, that's a possible indicator of illness or injury. And they will go hide when they're not feeling well.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AccessDenied

Lots of cat experience here. Sounds like your fav kitty is being pushed aside by the newcomer because as you say you leave food and a comfy place outside. This can attract any homeless cat and even some with homes if your kitty food is better than what they get at home. This newbie could chase kitty away entirely. I have had this happen and sadly things work one of two ways. Either find a way to get rid of the new cat..or you might find yourself with two ...or worse.

Or alternatively (and more responsibly), go out and look for your cat, find her and take her to the vet. There are vets and local shelters who work together in every community to provide low-cost spay/neuter programs for feral animals. If she's spayed, she will not attract feral males and thusly will not reproduce. If she allows you to pick her up, she is not a "wild" cat and cannot be classified as "feral", either. She is your pet.

<< 1   >>

join