It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private messages at work can be read by employers, says court

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
Says the guy during business hours........

Fine for you but not your employees?

When they start footing the bills they can start dictating how the services are used. Until that time, I will use, and restrict the use of, my paid for services as I see fit.

If they wish to discuss changes to this, we can discuss some changes to their compensation (pay/benefits) as well.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I see and understand the arguments. An employee shouldn't be using company time to shop or chat with friends or play games or similar. But somehow this still comes across the wrong way to me.

"Slippery slope" is often a term used to describe things which could potential lead to other similar, more expanded things. And it's often said it's a misplaced worry, since most things don't snowball.

Is it reasonable to expect someone to ONLY think about work when they're working? To ONLY work? I know when I work, I usually am thinking about other things WHILE working. I wonder if in the future it will be illegal to let your mind wander? Will they have pills for that? What about when you go home. Will they forbid you from ever saying anything bad about their company? Will you be forbidden from doing XYZ?

It's just another rule on top of all the others. We're becoming like robots. I'm convinced. It's a time when we should be becoming less like robots because robots are able to do those tasks for us which we previously had to do ourselves. But we're instead adopting the same things robots do. Why? Maybe because we're afraid robots will replace us, so instead of letting robots continue to advance we're merging with them to ensure our future survival. If you can't beat em, join them.

EDIT: I know it's not unreasonable to expect an employee to work and not waste company time. I already stated that. So nobody should be replying to me and saying I somehow don't understand that.
edit on 1/13/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Since when do YOU pay for MY smart phone or service?

If YOU did then sure subpoena away. If not......go f $ck yourself.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite
If an employee has the right to not stay focused on work during their entire work period, why should an employer be expected to compensate them for the entire work period? This slope slides in both directions...probably covered with snow too.

That being said, we are all human, employer and employee alike. We know that humans require social interaction to their own whims, not to dictation, to stay reasonably content in their position. Which is why the vast majority of companies are pretty damn lenient on improper usage of company products.

Do you think I even mention to employees when I see their phones log onto the company wifi once or twice a day (on shift, not on breaks or lunch) to do a quick check up? Of course not. Same goes for emails, a little online shopping, etc. As long as it is within reason, and they are completing their agreed to tasks, at the agreed to times, I let it slide.

But, there is always one that has to take it to the extreme, and ruin it for everybody. Those are the ones that cause cases like this, and cause companies to start taking much more notice as to how their resources are being utilized.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: IslandOfMisfitToys
When I bought your time, per the agreed contract.

If you wish to use your time as you see fit, you can do it on your own dime. When I have paid for it, you best be doing what I have paid for, or you will doing something else, somewhere else.

It is funny how have no issue STEALING from your employer (which using paid for time on no work tasks is), but have an issue with an employer wanting you to actually be accountable for your paid time.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420
It's usually the extremes which force us all to go under the same rule, like robots, even if we wouldn't breach it without it. Same with guns and gun owners. It only takes a few bad apples and guns are heavily restricted. And freedom of speech. It only takes a few people to abuse others with words for freedom of speech to start crumbling apart.

Freedom isn't free. That's why we eliminate it sometimes. Is a 10 year old free to drive? No because we consider its cost too high. They can barely see above the steering wheel and their brains are still forming. Is an alcoholic free to drive? No because the cost is too high. Is a convicted murderer allowed to be president? Generally, no. (despite the fact politicians have "murdered" lots of people in war and in economic policy.)

But the question is, are we eliminating too much? How do we know? It's a blurry thing, it really is. And generations change. BUT I believe there's one common thing binding it all together: Its spread. Historically, humanity has always been spread out and separated from each other by hostile lands and other barriers. Increasing technology and development has allowed us to shrink the distance between all points on Earth. What this has done is made us increasingly aware of our freedoms and their costs. We steadily erode at the base of these freedoms because we're coming closer and closer together. At some future time, we might police our own thoughts and even our nature, things which at present are freedoms.
edit on 1/13/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: OuttaHere

I feel sorry for the guy who thinks that he should have access to his employees' personal device while on company time. If you distrust your employees to that degree maybe you should rethink your hiring practices.

This is just the overflow from the rest of the dehumanization process that is part of our new society.

There used to be a time when businesses not only valued their employees, but they treated them with respect. Employees were loyal, and always provided the employer with more hours than they expected to be paid for. Companies realized that happy employees delivered a superior product. Superior products made for happy customers that were glad to part with their dollars, and more dollars made for a strong and lucrative company.

When businesses became mega companies and the bottom line became the primary focus, at the expense of the customer and the employee, this is what we are left with. An employer that thinks you are to be grateful that you have a job, and should be willing to work as a slave, at slave wages, and undeserving of any respect.

I truly blame the workers for things being able to deteriorate to this level. No one is going to value you, more than you value yourself. If you are willing to work for a company or an individual, that treats you like a marginal slave, that is disposable, and easily replaceable, than you can't complain when they do.

It is all my signature.

edit on 13-1-2016 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Word correction.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn
An employer that thinks you are to be grateful that you have a job, and should be willing to work as a slave, at salve wages, and undeserving of any respect.

This.......

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
What I want to know is how they are reading these private emails, and messages. Are they hacking people's accounts or something? If so that get's a lot more than just what's at work.

Any decent company with enough employees and a half decent tech crew don't need to "hack" anything. If you are sending anything using their equipment they are absolutely within their rights to monitor it.

By the way, if you go and use the "free services" of any local bar or restaurant, they will likely be checking your usage too.

If you are being paid to work, you work.

You are not being paid by a company to socialize and network on their $.

The idea that anyone thinks this is okay might explain why the youth unemployment rate in some cities/countries is so damn high.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: jonnywhite
I see and understand the arguments. An employee shouldn't be using company time to shop or chat with friends or play games or similar. But somehow this still comes across the wrong way to me.

"Slippery slope" is often a term used to describe things which could potential lead to other similar, more expanded things.

The argument that one thing will lead to something else and therefore nothing should ever change is not a sensible option.

This won't lead to what you fear, this is about people not using company time and services for their own needs. To do so is theft.

No one is hacking your phone, no one is putting spyware on your tablet. This is a court ruling that a company has the right to monitor what its own servers are being used for at all times, and that it's perfectly legal for them to fire someone for abusing their servers and their working time.

When a court rules that an employer has the right to monitor your private messages on your private equipment, then you'll have reason to complain. But, that's not going to happen, because that is a clear and obvious abuse of Human rights and privacy that no court in any sane country would deem legal.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

I understand that when at work you are expected to do your work.

What I took umbridge with is the employer who thinks he can subpoena someone's personal phone for sending a freaking text message.

To those types of employers......I hope your employees never learn how to make an OSHA complaint against you.........you think production was bad before, wait till the inspectors shut you down for a while.......Read days......
edit on 13-1-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
What I want to know is how they are reading these private emails, and messages. Are they hacking people's accounts or something? If so that get's a lot more than just what's at work.

You must be really inexperienced with networks if you think hacking is required to read a persons email or PM or IM or something else on an enterprise network.

I'm not sure how anyone can honestly think that an employee has a reasonable right to privacy when using a companies resources like a computer, network, phone, something else.

If you dont want your employer to know what you are saying then use your smart phone, depending on scenario you might have to deal with a DAS there, or wait until you are not at work. Anything else you do on a companies network though is not subject to any slippery slopes because it's just common sense.
edit on 13-1-2016 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

There was a poster here that said he should have the right to subpoena a personal phone or laptop if it is used during work hours.

That is what most of the responders here took umbridge with. Not the FACT that on company hardware you do company work.

I have to sign an agreement to such every time I log onto my computer.
edit on 13-1-2016 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

I wonder how many people commenting on this thread are at work, right now.

I used to belong to a FB group and I know many people in the group spent all day at work chatting online. But when they left work for the day, you wouldn't see them for the rest of the evening.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I wonder how many people commenting on this thread are at work, right now.

I am. Because I finished my tasks for the day.

But according to some that is enough to subpoena my personal info........

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Yep ,that is how things like JOBS get done ,not surfing on the net.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I'm the boss too, and I can tell ya, I have no interest in reading a personal email.

My interest is somebody being logged in to ATS from the time they arrive, to the time they leave, and yes I will look at history. I would fire them so fast it would make their heads swim.

One person said 'but I still get my work done".

Really? Then maybe I need to cut your hours back to part time.

I won't have it. And yes, it's do as I say and not as I do.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Well if your employees are finishing their tasks in half the time YOU hired them for maybe it's more a reflection on YOUR management skills?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: IslandOfMisfitToys
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

Well if your employees are finishing their tasks in half the time YOU hired them for maybe it's more a reflection on YOUR management skills?

How charming.
And sophomoric. @@
edit on 1/13/2016 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   
It all breaks down to the fact that if a employee is using company network for personnel work. The company can read those personnel correspondents. The computers and network belong to the company. I learned that back in college 5 years ago. So for would be surfers of the web at work. Be careful what sites you go to and what correspondence you traffic in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join