It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The privatization of Police, Prison systems and others.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   
tompride.wordpress.com...

An interesting issue, to say the least and one that hasn't received due attention on ATS as of yet.

I can see arguments both for and against and am undecided in general. I've held the view that our current prison system is an obvious failure and that failure has been ignored by both gov't and the general population for literally generations. An embarrassment and shame on all of us.

I've held the simplistic view that any change would likely be an improvement and have shrugged off the protests against this move, even on a trail basis, as public union based and the general campaign against corporations.

With this article on privatizing police in the U.K., I'm having seconds thoughts.

The apparent move by Obama to 'federalize' local police forces is a concern yet if privatized police systems end up under a massive, national corporation, do we not face similar issues either way. Private or public?

At a guess, the massive increase in private security industry is the real forerunner to all this general area of police and prison systems.

Simply put, the fact that these security measures are needed and wanted point, at least in part, to our police system, justice and prison system and the increasing failures of all.

One point of concern is what happens if the same corporation runs both police and prison systems? True, we have that now with gov't, yet one would think even more liberties might be taken if both systems were in the same corporate hands.

A signal example of police system failures might be Chicago with it's corruption that dates back lord knows how far.

Is this even fixable or are we down to 'picking our poison'?

I haven't looked beyond this general area and if some come up with other privatization areas of concern, feel free to bring them up.
edit on 13-1-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Dangerous. Just look at what has happened with private prisons. This scares the hell out of me. Businesses exist to make money and police only make money one way. Terrible idea...think 10 years down the road....talk about fascism

Nice thread thanks

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I too share your concerns. While government controlled prison systems and police systems suffer greatly from miss-management and over-reach, privatizing them and turning them over to corporations does not bode well.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Greetings- I was retired from a Ca. police dep't. and I can't see how the police force, any police force could ever go "Private" but many of the jails are Privately run by CCA® Corrections Corp.of America. When I was still working the idea was to issue a citation in the field and give the person a Promise To Appear, now these same folks are "booked" into county jails that are "Privately" run and the taxpayer for that area is milked.
When I was retired I knew I couldn't live in Ca. unless I got another job. I was fortunate that this was at the peak of the housing market and the 1292 sq. ft. home I bought in 1994 for $168,999.00 I sold in 2004 for $445,000.00 and moved to Central Florida. When I moved here the local jail was run by the County and in each day's newspaper, You could read who got busted and it was ended w/a "they were released on a citation" Now EVERY person gets "booked" and We get to pay for it.

Many of My posts here on ATS™ deal with this subject but I've since figured out another numbing fact... This is that "They" are directing folks into "Their" jails and prisons. I worked during 'The Crack War' when the target was the inner city, urban male. These were the guys who made even more $$ than the gov't. because they 'rocked' it up when the sub-Urban (read: white; affluent) received probation for using the same drug, coc aine but it was coc aine hydrochloride or 'powder'.

Now it is heroin. One of My last cases that I investigated was a heroin case, due to the fact that the city I worked was crawling w/heroin being used via eyedropper. Because I was on "Light Duty" I was able to really investigate this case. This was the latter part of 2001. At that time Afghanistan produced 7% of the world's opium. Since "The War" that number has grown from 7% to close to 88%

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bbc.com...

I'll come back and add a movie trailer for a movie I recommend anyone to watch who may have some concerns. Those who are being targeted are usually low income folks who cannot afford an attorney, hence the numbers for those who are incarcerated are there on a "plea bargain" at 95%..

namaste

Proud Member of LEAP. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Edit: This is the trailer for the movie American Violet.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: added a movie trailer

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It's just a matter of time until the neocon corporate oligarchy takes over all decisions that should be up to the individual.

Corporate lockups, corporate LEOs, corporate lawyers, .....only the stock holders in the corporations will have any freedom, everyone else is SOL.

Don't forget corporations are now people and all people are created equal but some are more equal than others.

All decisions made by a board of directors, who are paid by the corporations....

edit on 13-1-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   
OK. Now answer this question, which hospital will give you the better care? The private hospital or the county hospital?

My quandary is I trust neither this agenda driven gov't nor Corporations. Not all gov't is bad, not all corporations are bad. I do not consider profit evil. If a private prison keeps those prisoners safe, then I they've well earned their profit. Our prison system is beyond a joke. No one really talks about it. it creates hardened criminals out of lesser ones. These days it is an incubator for terrorists.

At least in the case of our prison system, any change is better than the status quo. There's plenty of negative PR on privatized prisons, but no real data on 'where the rubber meets the road' prison environment facts.

all the links seem agenda driven, for or against. Who to trust....
edit on 13-1-2016 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

First, I'd like to address your comment on not seeing how a police force could go 'private'.

I'm sure you have logistical issues that I/we wouldn't know about.

Let me share an analogy. I drive truck. I am a professional. I drive for a private company. I 'could' drive in a gov't position. The requirements are the same. Professionalism.

There are doctors, nurses and the whole medical support personnel who work for gov't hospitals and private hospitals. If anything I'd believe I'd get better service at the private institute.

I don't believe who signs my pay cheque influences the quality of service, per say.

I would say I have reservations on having a national super-corporation running a prison or police system, but then I have similar reservations with Obama's 'nationalizing' local police forces merely due them not following his agenda. One only has to look at the DHS to see agenda is as dangerous, if not more so, than 'profit'.

I look to the quality of the product between private and public and freedoms retained/lost in general as my initial criteria/ litmus test. Is this reasonable as a starting point?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Privatized prisons? BAAAD idea.

Historically, privatized prison services have a higher record of abuse and assault. There is far less oversight.

Subjecting a vulnerable population to capitalistic policies is sheer stupidity. The private prison record proves it.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

What is 'historically speaking'? How long ago?

Not that I'm disagreeing, I would like the source of that information, if convenient.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
dont drink and post....say NO to DAP!

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

The privatization of Police, Prison systems and others -

According to a US judge, Anna Von Reitz, (.com) this privatization of government service providers dates back a hundred years or more and is one of the mechanisms of how we have become slaves, (my words not hers.)

The only thing happening here ( re, this thread) is that its becoming much more open as we criuse through the "private is best". era. If you think about it its consistent with these one sides NWO type "Internaitonal free trade agreements.

So; don't worry, privatisation of government operations and (hence corporate welfare in all its forms,) will continue to be rolled out as the years go by.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Dangerous. Just look at what has happened with private prisons. This scares the hell out of me. Businesses exist to make money and police only make money one way. Terrible idea...think 10 years down the road....talk about fascism

Nice thread thanks

Terrible idea...think 10 years down the road....talk about fascism

May I suggest that a better term is tyranny.

Ascribing these things to a certain form of politics is inaccurate and misleading as it infers that it would not occur if some other political party was in power. This is a very naive and short sighted view.

Tyranny is tyranny. I think we are better serving ourselves if we call a spade a spade

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Greetings- I was retired from a Ca. police dep't. and I can't see how the police force, any police force could ever go "Private" but many of the jails are Privately run by CCA® Corrections Corp.of America. When I was still working the idea was to issue a citation in the field and give the person a Promise To Appear, now these same folks are "booked" into county jails that are "Privately" run and the taxpayer for that area is milked.
When I was retired I knew I couldn't live in Ca. unless I got another job. I was fortunate that this was at the peak of the housing market and the 1292 sq. ft. home I bought in 1994 for $168,999.00 I sold in 2004 for $445,000.00 and moved to Central Florida. When I moved here the local jail was run by the County and in each day's newspaper, You could read who got busted and it was ended w/a "they were released on a citation" Now EVERY person gets "booked" and We get to pay for it.

Many of My posts here on ATS™ deal with this subject but I've since figured out another numbing fact... This is that "They" are directing folks into "Their" jails and prisons. I worked during 'The Crack War' when the target was the inner city, urban male. These were the guys who made even more $$ than the gov't. because they 'rocked' it up when the sub-Urban (read: white; affluent) received probation for using the same drug, coc aine but it was coc aine hydrochloride or 'powder'.

Now it is heroin. One of My last cases that I investigated was a heroin case, due to the fact that the city I worked was crawling w/heroin being used via eyedropper. Because I was on "Light Duty" I was able to really investigate this case. This was the latter part of 2001. At that time Afghanistan produced 7% of the world's opium. Since "The War" that number has grown from 7% to close to 88%

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bbc.com...

I'll come back and add a movie trailer for a movie I recommend anyone to watch who may have some concerns. Those who are being targeted are usually low income folks who cannot afford an attorney, hence the numbers for those who are incarcerated are there on a "plea bargain" at 95%..

namaste

Proud Member of LEAP. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition

Edit: This is the trailer for the movie American Violet.

www.youtube.com...

Thank you for this revealing and insightful post. Many more insiders need to come out and tell the public what is happening, The people must be alerted to the tyranny that is descending upon us. Soon, it will be too late.

I have been of the view for the last 5 years or so that the US and the entire western world including my own country, is sliding into tyranny and these days the pace is picking up.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

You paint a bleak picture.

It implies a continued 'merger' between gov't power and Corporate power. Not unlike, NAFTA, the WTO and TPP.

With private schools colleges and hospitals, one has option. An either/or scenario. Neither of these include enforcement powers either.

As one poster pointed out the political spectrum seems irrelevant. The U.K. is considerably left of the U.S.. Or, rather, it was. It seems it matters little which party is in power.

Does anyone have access to the actual contracts/agreements on the pay system between these corporations and the contracting gov't?

P.S..

Of course, there isn't much difference either way when one looks at the Affordable care Act and the 'enforcement' built into that 'merger' between gov't power and private providers, either.

Enforcement seems the order of the day. Less freedom being the price for, perhaps, slightly better service?

edit on 14-1-2016 by nwtrucker because: addition

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

You paint a bleak picture.

It implies a continued 'merger' between gov't power and Corporate power. Not unlike, NAFTA, the WTO and TPP.

With private schools colleges and hospitals, one has option. An either/or scenario. Neither of these include enforcement powers either.

As one poster pointed out the political spectrum seems irrelevant. The U.K. is considerably left of the U.S.. Or, rather, it was. It seems it matters little which party is in power.

Does anyone have access to the actual contracts/agreements on the pay system between these corporations and the contracting gov't?

P.S..

Of course, there isn't much difference either way when one looks at the Affordable care Act and the 'enforcement' built into that 'merger' between gov't power and private providers, either.

Enforcement seems the order of the day. Less freedom being the price for, perhaps, slightly better service?

There is a lot of information about this topic as it relates to the situation in the US, at this site, Anna Von Reitz.com.

This lady is a judge and shes's done a lot of work on it. She makes the point that the situation is the same in all countries with British heritage.

why we are seeing so much open privatization of govt services these days I'm not sure, I can only guess its because of the advanced stage of the NWO roll out.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 04:31 AM
link   

OK. Thanks.

So far, I'd say the obvious ones like private Hospitals service and , again, privates schools have been around for a while and increase freedoms. Introducing 'choice' always increases freedom. So in those cases, thumbs up.

Prison systems? I'm slightly in favor of privatization if for no other reason than the abysmal product that the current system is. One that increases criminality-deliberately(?)-rather than 'rehabilitation.

Police services? I lean against it. The potential overlap of interests between prison and Police. The enforcement potential given to private interests. Perhaps....and this is low probability, occasional instances of local police might benefit from a change, IE Chicago, but it would be an exception rather than the rule.

Any other specific areas that could be/are privatized come to mind?

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

It appears that Judge Anna has released new info about the "reset" of the Organic united States of America.

Interesting video here:

Americans Free at Last

Her webite is here: Judge Anna Von Reitz

Scroll down to read her letters. All my body parts are crossed in hope this is truly happening.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose

It appears that Judge Anna has released new info about the "reset" of the Organic united States of America.

Interesting video here:

Americans Free at Last

Her webite is here: Judge Anna Von Reitz

Scroll down to read her letters. All my body parts are crossed in hope this is truly happening.

Certainly sounds like good news.

The thing that bothers me is that it seems that Anna does not agree with Karen Hudes about dealing with the same these same people Karen run into at the World Bank.

new topics

top topics

join