It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Innocent guy with Muslim name blocked from online gaming.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

“It’s not a good feeling for someone to feel like their freedoms are being limited because of their religion, race, or even their name. Incidents of discrimination lead to trauma even if you do not understand them as an outsider. That pain is real and hard to cope with.”

Its only a matter of time before ....

careless and sloppy
workmanship results in innocent people having their homes trashed, phones bugged and being sent to prison for mistaken identity.

The film 'Minority Report' is in action right now. i wonder how many ATS members who role-play on MMORPG's are already on the Government Hit List just for reading information posted on ATS.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   
They said he had the same name as someone else on the watch list:

because someone who has the same name as him was on a US government blacklist.

Quick...somebody alert CAIR!
I've had to undergo extra airline ticket purchase checks, because someone with the same name was on a watch list too.
It happens to almost everyone...and, in this case, not because the guy was Muslim...but because he had the same name as someone else.
Stop with the Muslims are constantly victimized tripe.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:42 AM
link   
so.

video games are checking for terrorists now.

interesting.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Rapha

“It’s not a good feeling for someone to feel like their freedoms are being limited because of their religion, race, or even their name. Incidents of discrimination lead to trauma even if you do not understand them as an outsider. That pain is real and hard to cope with.”

So the professor has a super common name, gets blocked from ONLINE GAMING, the company apologizes and fixes the issue for the professor. Why is this news? Why is this man shaping the minds of youth.

What sensationalist BS.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Of course they are, as online games are popular for money laundering.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Aside from the fact that a "Specially Designated Nationals list" even exists, this was a beta test project. It's not unusual to find bugs, sometimes quite egregious ones, in a beta level program. He should take some consolation from the fact that he helped to expose a major bug in the program, before a lot of others experienced the same disheartening event.

I can't begin to understand the politics and necessity of the "Specially Designated Nationals list." So I can neither criticize it or commend it. But it is unfortunate that an American citizen has to get caught-up in something like this.

-dex

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   
It actually looks like a decent MOBA. (I tend to avoid them)

Graphics look top notch.

At least he can play it now.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:56 PM
link   

“Your account creation has been blocked as a result of a match against the Specially Designated Nationals list maintained by the United States of America’s Office of Foreign Assets Control,” the message read, before advising Khan to email Epic’s customer service.

How would a game software program know what race or religion a person is?

His race and religion had nothing to do with the him not being able to automatically register with the game, and he was given the option to contact the game company for clarification.

Now if other races, religions, or groups, had the number of SJWs as the people of the Islamic faith have here on ATS, we may have few less problems in this world.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Poor guy.

Muhammad Khan’s is just as popular as David Smith in their culture

idiot government

posted on Jan, 16 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   
This has got to be the most asinine thing I have heard today.

“Your account creation has been blocked as a result of a match against the Specially Designated Nationals list maintained by the United States of America’s Office of Foreign Assets Control,”

Seems to be a naughty list/ business competitors list, considering they got Russian billionaires and others on it, you know I would think that the United States of America's office of Foreign Assets Control would better keep there assets in line.

But really a videogame? Not even that a beta test.

What are they afraid the Chinese would cut in on the virtual items trade for real money farming market? I mean they practically invented it, just like they invented the made in china signs you see on everything.

Anybody who has played MMO's don't answer that it was a rhetorical question.

But on to the game.

Looks alright, and also looks like its using the unreal engine 3 like every other game out there it seems now a days for what the past few years. Not that its a bad engine to use, but these mobas gone to action games. I dont know, so far nobody and no game I seen has been able to pull it off. But the game looks like it has potential. But the same was said of every other game that bombed last year. So who knows.

new topics

top topics

join