It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Serving Eviction Notice Kills 12-Year-Old Pennsylvania Girl by Mistake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Well, another "fail" , all the way around. I wanted to note, the renter Mr Bartho put his child in harms way, now she is gone. It is a terribly sad story. I do not know what keeps driving people to draw arms to LEO? It is so simple, be polite, follow instructions, no weapons. You will live to see tomorrow..... this entire episode was 100% preventable

1. Renter is being evicted
2. Constable dispatched to serve papers
3. Renter opens door points 223 @ Constable
4. Constable fires one round passing through renters arm strikes child
5. Child is deceased

Police said the girl's father, Donald Bartho Meyer Jr., 57, pointed a .223 caliber rifle at Constable Clarke Steele, who fired a single round from his .40 caliber service weapon. The bullet passed through Meyer and struck Ciara, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Meyer was treated at Hershey Medical Center. He was being held without bond pending a preliminary hearing Friday on state charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, making terroristic threats and recklessly endangering another person, according to court records.

Court records show that Meyer owed $1,780.85 in a landlord-tenant dispute.

State Police Trooper Robert T. Hicks told NBC station WGAL of Lancaster that Meyer knew the eviction notice was coming Monday, "so it was no surprise."

linker

edit on 13-1-2016 by ReadLeader because: Timeline

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Sort of feel like 1 person is responsible for this and it isnt the LEO.

The parent failed in every way , shape and form. Let me see if I get this right, I'm a parent so it's a good idea to have my child near me while I pull a gun on an officer.

Just a horrible situation where everyone loses and multiple lives have been impacted but not one the police should be blamed for though I am sure the normal cast of characters here will try and pin this on the officer.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Ope. Exactly why I felt it important to post this unfortunate situation. The parent failed immensely. The story is horrifying, and one inocent soul is gone.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
This is terrible, but it's not the cops fault. The guy should never have pointed a weapon at him, much less with his child in the same room. Completely the parent's fault.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Ope. Exactly why I felt it important to post this unfortunate situation. The parent failed immensely. The story is horrifying, and one inocent soul is gone.

It's just a terrible story and goes to show how 1 wrong choice can ripple through multiple lives.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Not being a parent, I can only imagine the guilt that will sit with this man in prison. I don't know the reason the circumstances occurred as such. I do know one cannot press rewind on bad decision making, much less lack thereof

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:10 AM
link   

a reply to: DAVID64

Not being a parent, I can only imagine the guilt that will sit with this man in prison. I don't know the reason the circumstances occurred as such. I do know one cannot press rewind on bad decision making, much less lack thereof

He is 57 years old with a 12 year old daughter. He's being evicted over $1700, but hasn't sold his rifle to pay some bills. Bad decisions seem to be the norm for this guy.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:08 AM
link   

That headline--as many are these days on ATS--is completely wrong. It was not a mistake. The mistake was made by the father coming to the door with a weapon. The girl's death was an accident caused by the father.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Not excusing the guys actions but maybe he felt selling his firearm during this heightened gun control climate is risky to him for some unknown reason.

RIP to the child lost.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Well, another "fail" , all the way around. I wanted to note, the renter Mr Bartho put his child in harms way, now she is gone. It is a terribly sad story. I do not know what keeps driving people to draw arms to LEO? It is so simple, be polite, follow instructions, no weapons. You will live to see tomorrow..... this entire episode was 100% preventable

1. Renter is being evicted
2. Constable dispatched to serve papers
3. Renter opens door points 223 @ Constable
4. Constable fires one round passing through renters arm strikes child
5. Child is deceased

Police said the girl's father, Donald Bartho Meyer Jr., 57, pointed a .223 caliber rifle at Constable Clarke Steele, who fired a single round from his .40 caliber service weapon. The bullet passed through Meyer and struck Ciara, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Meyer was treated at Hershey Medical Center. He was being held without bond pending a preliminary hearing Friday on state charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, making terroristic threats and recklessly endangering another person, according to court records.

Court records show that Meyer owed $1,780.85 in a landlord-tenant dispute.

State Police Trooper Robert T. Hicks told NBC station WGAL of Lancaster that Meyer knew the eviction notice was coming Monday, "so it was no surprise."

linker

He should be convicted of murder. It's disgusting.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
He should be convicted of murder. It's disgusting.

Agreed..
The Father should be convicted of murder.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:57 AM
link   

I agree with you and the rest that is totally the fathers fault. Simple lesson, do not pull a gun on LEOs.

I do feel sorry for that LEO who now has to live with the fact that he accidently killed a child. I feel deeply sorry for the little girl who lost her life.

My sympathies are also for the family of the child that was not the father. As for the father, he should be locked in a room full of pictures of his daughter for the rest of his natural life.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   

2ND AND 3RD THIS!!

threre is really none/ no/ zilcho~ excuse- period... & the fact that he KNEW he was being evicted SINCE MAY.... lets see how the anti-gun folks toss these dice... I will be interested to see how he obtained the weapon and the mental history of this murderess neanderthal

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Completely agree this was the fathers fault and am glad that the family is placing blame on him and not the LEO. My question is, what were the terrorist threats the guy made? It doesn't say in the article.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Autorico
Completely agree this was the fathers fault and am glad that the family is placing blame on him and not the LEO. My question is, what were the terrorist threats the guy made? It doesn't say in the article.

All he has to say is "Im going to kill you" and by definition of the law he can be charged with making a terroristic threat.

www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Wow. I don't really know what to say about that, lol.

posted on Jan, 29 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Well, ATS, we called it!!!!!!!

Father charged after girl, 12, is killed by police constable

Father aimed rifle at constable, who had gone to deliver eviction notice, police say
The constable fired a single shot, which hit the father in the arm, then killed his daughter
(CNN)The father of a 12-year-old has been charged with homicide after the girl was accidentally shot to death by a police constable in Pennsylvania, authorities said.

Ciara Meyer was killed by a police constable who was serving eviction papers at their apartment in Perry County on January 11.

father charged w/ homicide

May he rot in h.e. double toothpicks!!!

top topics

join