It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Students advised to stop chanting 'U-S-A, U-S-A' and 'air ball'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:06 PM
a reply to: angeldoll
I wouldn't they'd probably charge rent for the space you occupied

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 04:39 PM
So they say chanting USA! USA! is unsportsmanlike behaviour? This is ridiculous! to have a behaviour that's unsportsmanlike one must be a sportsman in the first place. Last time I checked spectators are not sportsman. a reply to: Deaf Alien

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:37 PM
This is the type of thing that is making Trump a pure baffoon viable in 2016 people are so sick of how far PC has gone they will do ANYTHING to fight back against it now. So don't be surprised if that backlash see's Trump in the white house in 2016.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 05:56 PM

If America has any sacred cows it's sports. Football and basketball, people lose their minds over games.
Yet the PATRIOT ACT could be passed without so much as a mumble.
Screwed up priorities, I have several friends who are exactly like that.
"Hey man, your house is on fire!"
- "Just a sec, they're first and goal"
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Unfortunately, isn't that so true. You have people crying their eyes out when they lose a play-off game, yet they could care less if any of our liberties are taken away. I guess our priorities are really screwed up.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 06:37 PM
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I should point out that a spokesman for the WIAA told television station WISC that the sportsmanship guidelines are a point of reference and “not a requirement.”

I'd tell the spokesman to go tell the WIAA board of precious snowflakes to go and stick their "point of reference" where the sun don't shine and to keep there politically correct attack on the 1st amendment out of my sports.

Clearly the WIAA are anti-constitutionists, not to mention sore losers on the sports field.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:23 PM
They could chant something like this instead:

Liverpool fans chanting...

Fill in any name you like

edit on 13 1 2016 by Sirrurg because: According to youtube you can only watch the video there

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:30 PM
Heh, at my high school when I was a kid, the band used to always play "Vehicle" during one certain part of the pre-game.

Well, it was always after the teams had warmed up on the floor and the floors needed cleaning before tip, so the janitors would come out with their big brooms and sweep the floors. That's when Mr. T the director queued up "Vehicle," and the student body created their own lyrics for it.

"We gotta sweep the floor
We gotta sweep the floor
We gotta sweep those f***in' floors ..."

Yeah, once the admin figured out what that was, they stopped us from playing "Vehicle."

I think these days, people would have the vapors.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:34 PM
You mean you're such weak willed person that the chants during a competition destroy your precious self esteem?

I don't think you're cut out for competitive sports... lets just save everyone time now and let you quit if you feel this way.

whatever happened to psyching your opponents out?
edit on 13-1-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:50 PM
a reply to: Lysergic

I remember in high school, teams hated coming into our old ramshackle building because you wouldn't be able to hear yourself think.

My senior year the number one ranked team in the state came into our building, I think they were rated top ten nationally...they were really, really good.

Someone must have paid off the Fire Marshall, because there were almost 6000 screaming maniacs in the building, and it's only rated to hold 3000... The noise was off the charts. I was hoarse. ...and my ears were ringing by the end of the game. We won, the opposing coach paid us the ultimate compliment after. As he was walking off the court, he applauded us.

You don't wanna know what they did to us in their place the next month, or in the district playoffs. It got Ugly...

Some of the stuff that was chanted would have curled WIAA's (both Wisconsin, and Washington) collective hair...

That sort of stuff has been outlawed here in Washington, too. Annoying. Saddening.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:52 PM
a reply to: seagull

Oh, it is absolutely a point of pride to rattle opposing teams when they come into your house. At college football games, it's an achievement to help force a team to take a timeout to avoid a delay of game, and the only way you do that is through unrelenting crowd noise.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:28 PM
I agree with the OP. Wussification indeed.
Testosterone is a good thing.
My team kicking your team's ass is a good thing.
You are SUPPOSED to be/feel humiliated when you lose.
Because, Hey, when it comes down to it, I don't care what the PC crowd says, when it comes down to it, it's survival of the fittest, baby! From my vantage point, that's ALWAYS gonna be me, hehe.
Like I said, testosterone.

EVERYBODY needs a good *ss whipping at least once by the time they graduate high school! Shoot, I knew lots of kids that needed SEVERAL by that age. Well, the fellas, anyway. But don't worry ladies, don't feel left out, if you reach a point in your life where you really feel the need for a good *ss whipping, and hey, we all do occasionally, I'm sure we could find a way to accommodate you.

Participation trophies, indeed. Jeez.

Some folks just need to lighten up. Just a teensy bit. Just a smidgin.
Isn't this ride supposed to be fun? 'Cause if it's not, I think I may be doing something wrong.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 04:42 AM
USA is You Suck Butt (the other word for butt). It's supposed to be clever, like they can claim they were just being patriotic.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:48 AM

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

The wussification of Wisconsin has begun.

Last month the state’s governing body for high school athletics declared that chanting “U-S-A, U-S-A,” is unsportsmanlike behavior.

The Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association also directed schools to stop fans from booing, or chanting “Air Ball,” “Season’s Over,” “Fundamentals,” “Scoreboard,” and “Over-Rated.”

“Any action directed at opposing teams or their spectators with the intent to taunt, disrespect, distract or entice an unsporting behavior in response is not acceptable sportsmanship,” the WIAA wrote in an email obtained by the Post-Crescent. “Student groups, school administrators and event managers should take immediate steps to correct this unsporting behavior.”

Students advised to stop chanting 'U-S-A, U-S-A' and 'air ball'

This takes the cake. Political Correctness has finally gone too far.

Wisconsin’s football stadiums, basketball arenas and wrestling mats have become safe spaces for the perpetually-offended generation.

Safe spaces? For who? Special snowflakes? It's high school for goodness' sake!

The WIAA found the “U-S-A” chant to be problematic, too – along with “any acronym of derogatory language or innuendo.”

What is so derogatory about it? It's ok to be patriotic and be proud of it.

I agree with this student:

April Gehl, an honor’s student and basketball standout at Hilbert High School, suggested the WIAA should (let me put this delicately) eat excrement.

She got suspended for that. For goodness' sake!

In 2014, former NBA star Dennis Rodman participated in a bizarre basketball game in North Korea. Remember how the fans sat quietly in the stands and only applauded when instructed to by the government?

Take a good look, America. That's the future of high school athletics in the Badger State.

And so they should ban it! Just on the grounds that it's the most unimaginative chant ever.

Can't a country of 400 million people come up with a new song? All I ever hear when I have the misfortune of seeing American sports is the same crappy U-S-A chant.

Here in the UK chants are witty and creative, we don't sit through a whole event and just shout eng-er-land, eng-er-land.

Sort it out USA, I know you're sports are hopeless but that doesn't mean your chants have to be as well.
edit on 08/06/82 by jamespond because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 08:33 AM

The wussification of Wisconsin has begun.

I'd like to add my own nonsensical words to describe this nonsense. Bogusosity, Guano for cerebellum syndrome...

Its a sad day when you can't express the love for your nation. When England plays Australia in cricket match at home or abroad the fans will chant 'god save the queen' and no one has a problem with that-it's fantastic to hear the fans get involved on both sides. Could you imagine Liverpool fans being denied the right to sing that famous song because it might offend the Helen Lovejoys?

Geez Deluise-Soon enough NFL fans won't be able to shout 'defense' without offending 2x4's.

edit on 14-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 03:25 PM

originally posted by: daaskapital
While i think chants like "USA! USA! USA!" can often be chauvinistic, it's your damn right to express yourselves in that way, lol.

Seriously though, this PC stuff is getting out of hand. I'm all for equality, but these people are going about it the wrong way. They strive for their own twisted ideals of equality and freedom through subjugation and censorship. If history shows anything, it's that ideologies like this only bring destruction. They're not here to improve society. They're here to destroy it and rebuild it according to their own oppressive ideals.

Chanting USA USA USA! happens only in international tournaments, like the Olympics. AND it's because the team is called Team USA.

They basically just banned rooting for a team to win -- Not only are you not allowed to "entice" bad reactions, but you're not allowed to show support either. This is beyond potato crazy.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:28 PM
a reply to: tadaman

To be absolute fair, most people who have the brass nuts to try to pet a wolf, have the brass nuts to get away with it.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 07:42 PM
a reply to: MoreInterior

USA is You Suck Butt (the other word for butt). It's supposed to be clever, like they can claim they were just being patriotic.

Now that makes more sense. I looked for another source of what you said, and I found one.

So, is the reason that "USA" was banned because of the patriotic meaning? Or because of this alternative meaning?

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:13 AM
I am offended we still keep score. I also think if someone misses 2 shots in a row the "friendly" team they are playing "with" (because opposing and against are harsh words) should encourage them and give them layups until they make it for self esteem.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:21 AM

originally posted by: jamespond

Can't a country of 400 million people come up with a new song? All I ever hear when I have the misfortune of seeing American sports is the same crappy U-S-A chant.

Creative chants get banned.

Boston University had the chant "Fck em up Fck em up, BC (Boston College) sucks!" and then they would yell SIEVE SIEVE SIEVE at the goalie. (hockey)

All the colleges are making them huge offenses, and making family friendly ones mandatory. Now you can say GO BU! Or Do I see a winning team Yes I see a winning team!

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 12:26 AM
I just don't remember this happening before Obama. Was it? For the life of me none of this makes sense. I think its a trial to see just how far our 1st amendment rights can be subjugated before the people begin to rise up. There is a psychological method to this madness somewhere.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>