It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students advised to stop chanting 'U-S-A, U-S-A' and 'air ball'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

This one also works as a sports chant;
"We're on our way to victory [or the location of that year's Superbowl?], we shall not be moved."

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Remember, this is happening on Obama's watch.

His legacy is now all the way flushed, no floaters left.

You're being serious as well aren't you? This place is now officially scary.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I find the USA chant to be lame and the same for most of the spectator trash talk.

Not there to play but can talk trash. haha

But, it's free speech and people are allowed to make an a** out of them selves.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Why dont people who freak out over this crap stop having kids. They wouldnt have survived this long without the protection our society offers them. They shouldnt reproduce anyways. They would have died long ago trying to pet a wolf or something.

This used to not be an issue because people used to know how to properly "human". There were no worries about butt hurt, people knew life and its perils and real pain.

Our school boards cant teach our kids but they sure can agree on nonsense.

This is like the jocks censoring the classes of teachers to exclude words they dont understand. Its like American teachers and administrators are retarded.

The USA chant does get over used but hey, its not like an F bomb. Who cares. Stop worrying about what foreigners will think. People are dumb....and that is why they get all riled up over nonsense. Which is lame. These sort of people making it an issue are pathetic. They want to look good to the world while being petty and mean with their own people.

edit on 1 13 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Students advised to stop chanting 'U-S-A, U-S-A...'

Read this already this morning from several sites... and I was surprised but then, after coffee and consideration, that part faded into oblivion; we are on a path to a point where anything said, chanted, sung, signed, displayed emblematically or by facial expression, can be tagged as being wrong.

How in the heck did we get here?
How is it that we allow this sort of tyrannical political correctness to run rampant?

We have a lot of work ahead of us but... chances are it is already too late to fix what's broken. We're going to have to start from scratch and that is going to be more painful than... well, being bitten in the wrong place by a boar on a Monday morning with a vile hangover.

edit on 13-1-2016 by redoubt because: werd reemoovahl

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Apart from the fact that people chanting such things sound and look like moronic caveman I see no reason to try to stop the behaviour.

After all its a person's right to make themselves look and sound like idiots.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

PC today is really getting ridiculous. Back in the 70's yelling "air ball" after a free throw or coming up short on a shot during a basketball game was common! There was a high school whose mascot was a Trojan. High school kids back than used to yell out "pop the Trojans!" I remember parents in the stands would laugh at that.

It's all in good fun. Some people need to get a life.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

To start, I take issue with this statement.

perpetually-offended generation.

This in actuality has almost nothing to do with my generation. The older folks are the ones calling all the shots, and to be honest, I don't think I know a single person who would not think this situation is absurd.

Otherwise, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, my god, this is hilarious. While I agree the WIAA statement is ridiculously stupid, this:

April Gehl, an honor’s student and basketball standout at Hilbert High School, suggested the WIAA should (let me put this delicately) eat excrement.

Is equally stupid. It just hurts the anti-PC crowd to be unnecessarily uncouth. Rather than portraying the fight as what it is supposed to be (avoiding ridiculous restrictions on personal expression), it just makes it appear as assholes arguing for their right to be assholes without suffering negative feedback. You don't convince someone that the current trend of PC is a bad thing by calling them a "sh*t-eating c*m-dumpster" or some variant thereof.

However, this is still indeed becoming a genuine issue. One big problem is that people are finding it hard to differentiate between this kind of tosh and general politeness (something that should be the standard of conduct.)
Hereby, I propose this:
"Political Correctness" refers to types situations as above. Absurd "over-protectiveness", censorship-type actions. As the legal system has "reasonable doubt", "PC-incidents" will be incidents wherein some level of muzzling is applied to expressions where it is "beyond reasonable doubt" that anyone would actually care.
"Civility" refers to not using harsher ethnic/religious slurs and swear words, such as "n*gger, sh*thead, c*nt" so on and so forth.
Therefore, I may say that I am "for Civility" but "opposed to Political Correctness."
edit on 13/1/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Ruin sports?
Dear God we really are near the end aren't we?

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Yeah well

Whomever instigated these changes has a rubber arm and their mom wears combat boots...

And probably a kid who couldn't make any of the JV teams.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

It's the only thing that seems to get the American populace off their seats. Sports, and guns. God forbid the NSA spying and all the pointless wars. If you harm their sports or look shiftily at their guns, that's when things get real.

Not to say that ATS members are like that. I am simply stating a stereotype that's probably wrong.
I really would like to see that Patriot Act burned, though.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:50 AM
link   
That would never fly here in Michigan , Unionville / Sebewaing Area schools would sue for discrimination.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Just start handing out "Participant" trophies at the beginning of the year and stop wasting time on the actual games. Everyone is a winner and no one gets their feelings hurt. And anyone can get a Lettermen's jacket, whether they played a sport or not, because it wouldn't be fair to exclude less athletic people. And at the end of the year, when every single student in the entire graduating class gives their valedictorian speech, they can stride proudly off the stage with a "Certificate of Scholastic Involvement" firmly in hand that we used to call a Diploma.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

You know nothing of what you're talking about and simply wish to marginalise an entire generation as "spoiled brats." Participation awards are universally reviled, they are marks of shame. They are the equivalent of a white pointed cap with the words "Dunce" on the front.

I say this with absolute certainty: Receiving a participation award hurts someone's feelings more than receiving nothing.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 10:41 AM
link   
chanting and taunting the other team and their fans is half of what makes sports so fun. and how in the hell is chanting USA USA in any way offensive to the other high school basketball team? Its not like they are playing teams from china or Russia they are playing teams from Wisconsin, so who would be offended?

This is just madness.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   

And, I predict the "Football" programs will go the way of the Dinosaur. "They" are in an all out full frontal assault on "Football", so much so that our local High School is having trouble getting kids who played in middle school to sign up for the High School team.

And........the NFL may not be far behind.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Several years ago, it was either Wisconsin or Minnesota that tried to pass a law to make it illegal for parents to yell or raise their voices at their children. I remember that because at about the same time here in NC, my wife and I had the displeasure of dealing with a social worker (whom our 12 year old son had decided to call on us), who told us that, as parents, we 'should ignore bad behavior'. If the government is going to start raising our children for us then they need to start paying child support so we can afford to start stocking up on survival equipment to prepare for the inevitable and subsequent collapse of western civilization. Ignore bad behavior... yea right.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Now everyone has to stop thanking god when they win too. Because if god made you win he had to make the other team lose right? And that would not be fair.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I thought April's comment was succinct and to the point. She used her freedom of speech to say what she thought of it.

The USA chant is really dumb when both teams are local, but this is high school and perhaps our special snowflakes don't have a good grasp of geography. At international golf matches, the USA chant is readily countered by the imbecilic European OleOle chant. Maybe they kids can learn that one, as it is just as annoying and pointless. [I can live without either but the ultimate stupid "get in the hole" shout should be cause for eviction or no more beer.]
The Tomahawk chop, the alligator chomp, hook-em-horns, and gig em [for you goat ropers out there] are just silliness designed to rile up the other guys as are "air ball" and other such. Think of them as psychological stressors that will help athletes build their ability to concentrate on the task at hand.

What happens when the name of the opposing team's star player is chanted? How do you prohibit that?

Governing bodies for sports overestimate their importance, continually. Consider Mark Twain's comment and apply it to the NCAA on down: "First God made idiots; that was for practice. Then He made school boards."

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Yeah well

Whomever instigated these changes has a rubber arm and their mom wears combat boots...

No , if their mom wore combat boots they would be growing up instead of being babies all their lives.First they look to their parents to change their poo-poo diapers and take care of them. Then to the government

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join