It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: 2 U.S. Navy Boats Held by Iran Military

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Ok.
I can understand a boat having mechanical trouble.
I can understand another one of the several boats going to the aid of the stricken one.

What I don't get is why the perfectly functioning craft did not try to tow the other boat to at least keep it from crossing into Iranian waters.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

See a couple posts ago. It depends on where they were when it broke, how fast the Iranians responded, etc. They might not have had time to do more than make sure they were ok before the Iranians had boats on the scene. Especially if they were separated when the first boat broke down.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What is the buffer ( safe zone) for travel between Kuwait -Bahrain... and what would cause a simple point to point mission, to even come close to violating accepted "no go " points, even with one losing power?

Don't answer...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

They were training so they weren't necessarily doing point to point. They were probably operating separately when the first boat lost power. They would have lost radio too so it would have taken a few minutes to figure out something was wrong and the other boat to respond.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: haman10

Tough talk, however, were the situation to truly escalate, Iran would stand ZERO chance against the US military. Sometimes I truly believe foreigners just don't realize how awesome our military power is.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: IamAbeliever

Tough talk, however, were the situation to truly escalate, Iran would stand ZERO chance against the US military. Sometimes I truly believe foreigners just don't realize how awesome our military power is.

There is also something known as overconfidence. Do we have an awesome military of course we do with as much as we spend on it we better have one but are we invincible? No we are not no military is invincible. Just look at how much damage was done to the USS Stark that proves we can and will be hurt.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: IamAbeliever

Pleased to see that both governments and most ATS members have a clearer understanding of the realities of international relations.

At present Iran has done absolutely nothing wrong, the US reacted responsibly and correctly.
Just one of them things, no drama at all.

But yes, you are so AWESOME. (I wish there was a 'shaking one's head in disbelief' emoticon).

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There not prop driven more like jet skis. Opened them up enough to move the other boat and you drown them

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

We are awesome. You'd be speaking German right now if not for us.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: IamAbeliever

Now I just want a big yawn emoticon.

The scariest thing is I have absolutely no doubt that you truly believe that.

Start a thread on the subject and I'll bite and have the discussion, yet again.

If not, we'll just take a step and bask in your awesomeness.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Oh yes! Hallelujah! Dr Strangelove. FFS wise up.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Sometimes I truly believe foreigners just don't realize how awesome our military power is.

Meh come back and say that in 10 or 20 years when your economy has been raped by greed to the point that your military cannot afford the buy the bullets to fight its illegal wars and has ran out of oil to fuel those same wars
edit on 12-1-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2016 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Freeborn

We are awesome. You'd be speaking German right now if not for us.

Actually, the majority of the dirty work done to defeat the Nazis was done by Communist Russia. There is a reason the Nazis focused more attention on the Eastern Front than the fight against the other Allied forces.
edit on 12-1-2016 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
This is Iran's Farsi island, its almost in the middle of the gulf, north of Bahrain so its not like they drifted into Iranian waters in the tight lanes of the Straights of Hormuz. This Island is ran by the Republican Guard. No U.S. Navy sailor is allowed to just surrender his or her ship just cause it malfunctioned unless ordered to!!! Iran has already claimed that the U.S. Boats were snooping around the Island. They stripped the Riverine boats of their GPS units to prove it., nice.

Riverine boats don't just sail the seas, they are too small. These are likely SWCC boats from a big ship near by. Think about it, who doesn't leave their bros behind?? If it was just average sailors with one broke down boat they would have towed the other out to sea or scuttled the thing. The Truman Strike Group choppers were sent out to rescue them but they had already been caught by the Iranians. They were just caught, pure and simple. Obama and Kerry spin it with Iran and Iran now has two cool boats with all the high tech Nav and Comms equipment. Then again, they were probably sent on a bonehead mission and then Obama tipped off Iran just so they could get their hands on the boats.
This Island is ran by the Republican Guard. We all know how Obama backs up our fighting men and women.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr
There not prop driven more like jet skis. Opened them up enough to move the other boat and you drown them

They do not shoot rooster tails lol. Jet pumps are not great at towing but would do just fine with 400 plus ponies. How do you know they do not have props? Most new ones don't but that is mainly on the newer SWCC boats and you know who uses them. Just so they do not get damaged running aground in the shallow waters they normally play around in and be dead in the water if they bust a prop or the gearcase itself. I personally like Evinrude's new impeller pump set up on the standard type gearcase. I got to look them over real good at BRP and its a smart design over their old jet pump sea floor vaccum cleaner set up of old.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Probably a supply mission.
They will be unloaded and on their way within a couple hours

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

They were CB90s.

Its light weight, shallow draught, and twin water jets allow it to operate at speeds of up to 40 knots (74 km/h) in shallow coastal waters. The water jets are partially ducted, which, along with underwater control surfaces similar to a submarine's diving planes gives the CB90 its manoeuvrability.

en.wikipedia.org...

The CB90 is powered by two 600kW diesel engines that can cruise at speeds of up to 45kt with high manoeuvrability in shallow coastal waters. The non-military patrol craft version of the ship can be equipped with two 550kW diesels engines, providing maximum speeds of up to 45kt.

The vessel has two Kamewa FF water jets that are partially ducted. This feature of the water jets, along with the underwater control surfaces, allows the vessel to take extremely sharp turns even at high speeds. The maximum range is 440km at 20 kts (37km/h) speed. Even on unprepared beaches, the boat is fully equipped to carry out forceful landing.

www.naval-technology.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Patriotsrevenge

This is something I've thought about - expanding on this scenario, if they weren't just training, where are the dudes these SWCC fellas were on their way to pick up or had just dropped off?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
More uncertainty.

Who do we believe?

Iran, via Fars News agency, is saying that the sailors are arrested for trespassing while the White House is saying there is no hostile intent and the sailors will be returned. The US said it’s the middle of the night so they can’t be released just yet.

The sailors are being held by the Revolutionary Guard and they work all night. Someone needs to tell that to Barack Obama.

Iran is undoubtedly taking our technology and hacking our communications on these ships. At the end of all this, Obama will release the sanctions, give them over $100 billion, and will allow them to get the nuclear bomb.

Obama Apologizes to Iran After They Kidnapped 10 US Navy Sailors

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: Phatdamage

Next thing you know the US will be sending in Chuck, Van diesel Claude Norris on a rescue mission

Not a rescue mission. A for real kick ___ and take names mission. Something that has been missing from American strategy for a long time.
"I came here to kick ___ and chew bubble gum. And I am all outta bubble gum" Rowdy Roddy Piper

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join