It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you refuse to CONSENT to a drug test, they can refuse to treat you? And your fetus.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

you think a form stops a lawsuit?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's her body, her rights.

Hence her right not to use that doctor. No one's rights are being infringed here.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Hence her right not to use that doctor. No one's rights are being infringed here.

She's being refused care because she did not want to consent to a drug test.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

you think a form stops a lawsuit?

Yes. Especially if it is spelled out in the form.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:54 PM
link   

ok well it doesnt, everyone signs a consent form and drs get ruined everyday. anyway there is 0 point for a private practice dr to do it if the patient doesnt want to participate fully. find a dr that doesn't care, im sure you will be hard pressed to find one.
edit on 12-1-2016 by DrakeINFERNO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrakeINFERNO

ok well it doesnt, everyone signs a consent form and drs get ruined everyday

She signed the form. It's just that she refused a drug test.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:59 PM
link   
@EightTF3 and DrakeINFERNO
But they're not even approaching it like that. Their consent form is specifically talking about a drug test- as in illegal drugs, probably not unapproved over the counter stuff. They specifically say "and report you to CPS". So, no, it's not about what medication you may be taking and whether some treatment may effect that. It's all about prosecuting you and taking your kids away from you if you come up positive. So all of the sudden, medical treatment becomes the gateway to legal prosecution.

All it's going to do is cause actual drug users to forgo prenatal treatment, which is far more dangerous than dealing with the addiction problem with the help of the doctor.

And as I've said in previous posts: If their wording included something about probable cause, then I could get behind it. But to randomly test everyone? I have no criminal record. Both my other kids were born healthy and continue to be healthy. I've never been arrested for drug use, or court ordered, or sent to rehab or even voluntarily gone to rehab. I've never been busted for DWI. I don't even like taking prescription drugs when they're necessary. There is NO reason to randomly drug test me. And to do so is a violation of my person. And to refuse prenatal care if I refuse to consent is like taking the fetus hostage and forcing me to do something that they have no business forcing me to do.

Several years ago I had a doctor refuse to prescribe birth control if I did not do a pap smear. It's my body, I've got severe PTSD/anxiety and sorry but I refuse to do a pap smear. I fully understand the consequences if I don't do it. I stopped going to that doctor too.

It's unethical to withhold treatment if someone refuses to VOLUNTARILY CONSENT to something.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Yes. Especially if it is spelled out in the form.

You have no way of claiming that unless you know which state this is occurring in.

Some states treat liability waivers as gospel, others make them ridiculously easy to get out of.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

liability. its not worth it for the dr. thank lawyers for that. good day. if you want the care of a provider you have to play their game.
edit on 12-1-2016 by DrakeINFERNO because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Yeah, but what happens when I start going to different doctors and they ALL have some BS policy like this? Then I don't get prenatal care? Wow, that policy sure is successful!

And as I pointed out in a PP, I'm totally clean. I'm just someone with strong principles about personal freedoms. Policies like this drive actual addicts away from prenatal care for fear of prosecution. Totally counter productive.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie
And yet I now have no idea if my vital signs are ok, if the protein level in my urine is ok, if the baby's heartbeat is ok....because they essentially kicked me out of the office for refusing to sign a VOLUNTARY consent.

could have signed the form.
then you would know

you made your choice.
apparently you chose the principal of not consenting to a test over knowing your vital signs

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Justify it if you want, I agree with the OP and find it an infringement of rights and a deplorable situation to be put in.

She is basically being forced to sacrifice her rights for the sake of her child.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyvalkyrie

Yeah, but what happens when I start going to different doctors and they ALL have some BS policy like this? Then I don't get prenatal care? Wow, that policy sure is successful!

And as I pointed out in a PP, I'm totally clean. I'm just someone with strong principles about personal freedoms. Policies like this drive actual addicts away from prenatal care for fear of prosecution. Totally counter productive.

then you keep making the choice.
you are the one choosing the route to no pre natal care.
not the doc

ready the tub for the water birth

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I think you have to look at this under the implementation of the ACA...

Me, my first thought was a reasonable request based upon the provider's risk, but I didn't think about what new criteria may have been forced upon all health providers under the "new" system...

something to ponder?

link   

She is basically being forced to sacrifice her rights for the sake of her child.

that is one way to look at it.
parents do things they dont want to do ALL the time for the sake of their children

there is always that option

link   
a reply to: DrakeINFERNO

So Jane Doe refuses to sign it. He continues to provide prenatal care. In reality Jane Doe is chock full of drugs. She's just really good at hiding it. The baby is born jacked up. It's on record that she refused random drug tests. All liability would be on her at that point, how could ANYONE come back on the doctor?

PS for all, I'm in Texas.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

jane doe refuses to sign the form.
jane doe has something wrong with her(or child) but does not know
something bad happens to child that could have been prevented
jane doe never forgives herself

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:12 PM
link   
One more point to make for the supporters of this BS:

This is my third child. The other 2 are perfectly healthy. This is the first time I've ever seen a form/policy like this. 2 other times (without such a form/policy) and everything went just fine....

Just make a note in my chart that I refuse and keep on with the care.

VOLUNTARY CONSENT

Withholding treatment if I don't sign makes it 'under duress' or 'coerced'. Just sayin'.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

And a private entity can refuse service unless terms and conditions are met in the same way OP can refuse to do business with them for her own reasons.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Per your comment on pap smears/birth control:

I think it's unethical to expect a doctor to give treatment if you refuse to allow the kind of examination s/he requires to feel confident you are a candidate for that treatment. They invested a huge portion of their lives to becoming a doctor and it's only fair they get the information they need to make the best decisions they can.

Also, I can understand a physician wanting to be sure a baby isn't born addicted to a drug they received in-utero -- after all, other physicians will be responsible for preparing for that baby's care. However, I would like to see conclusive testing done on pot use and pregnancy if they are going to test for it. Otherwise, there is not a lot of evidence it's any of their business.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join