It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerball.... LUCKY or UNLUCKY 13?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Last ball to drop one the first day was 13.
odds are 1 in 13 000 000 to win, that or 13 000 000 000 the pot came to 1.3 billion.
No one won, so they next draw happens on... the 13th.... that many 13n's coming up is as likely as winning the lottery

with your dollar and oil crashing, the country is falling apart, and yet you cash in on the biggest lotto yet.

The United States of America was created from thirteen British colonies and as such, the number thirteen is a commonly-recurring motif in American heraldry. For example, there are thirteen stars on the Great Seal of the United States and there are thirteen stripes on the American flag.

Unlucky 13
Main article: Triskaidekaphobia

The number 13 is considered an unlucky number in some countries.[7] The end of the Mayan calendar's 13th Baktun was superstitiously feared as a harbinger of the apocalyptic 2012 phenomenon.[8] Fear of the number 13 has a specifically recognized phobia, Triskaidekaphobia, a word coined in 1911. The superstitious sufferers of triskaidekaphobia try to avoid bad luck by keeping away from anything numbered or labelled thirteen. As a result, companies and manufacturers use another way of numbering or labelling to avoid the number, with hotels and tall buildings being conspicuous examples (thirteenth floor).[9] It's also considered unlucky to have thirteen guests at a table. Friday the 13th has been considered an unlucky day. [7]

There are a number of theories as to why the number thirteen became associated with bad luck, but none of them have been accepted as likely.[7]

The Last Supper: At Jesus Christ's last supper, there were thirteen people around the table, counting Christ and the twelve apostles. Some believe this is unlucky because one of those thirteen, Judas Iscariot, was the betrayer of Jesus Christ.
Knights Templar: On Friday 13 October 1307, King Philip IV of France ordered the arrest of the Knights Templar,[7] and most of the knights were tortured and killed.
Full moons: A year with 13 full moons instead of 12 posed problems for the monks in charge of the calendars. "This was considered a very unfortunate circumstance, especially by the monks who had charge of the calendar of thirteen months for that year, and it upset the regular arrangement of church festivals. For this reason thirteen came to be considered an unlucky number."[10] However, a typical century has about 37 years that have 13 full moons, compared to 63 years with 12 full moons, and typically every third or fourth year has 13 full moons.[11]
A repressed lunar cult: In ancient cultures, the number 13 represented femininity, because it corresponded to the number of lunar (menstrual) cycles in a year (13 x 28 = 364 days). The theory is that, as the solar calendar triumphed over the lunar, the number thirteen became anathema.[7][12]

Lucky 13
See also: Lucky Thirteen (disambiguation)

In Italy, 13 is considered a lucky number.[13] The expression fare tredici ("to do 13") means hit the jackpot. 17 is considered an unlucky number instead.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingThe3rd

Interesting thought,

I honestly think the lottery is a farse, mostly because i have never won,

I wonder what would happen if no one wins this one?

how long will it go on for,

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
well 13 stands for jackpot also... Someone wins large, dips, dollar drops because of oil.

we will have to wait and see

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I'm having trouble understanding any of this because...

" the odds of hitting the jackpot are one in 292.2 million"

And the current estimates for the jackpot on Woden's Day is $1.5 billion. It is however taking place on the 13th though so there's at least one 13 in there.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Triskaidekaphobia... haha anyone else think of FRIENDS? (the tv show)

Who made numbers lucky and unlucky? I presume they all originate as dates of terrible events.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

Here in Japan 4 is considered an unlucky number because it's pronounced "Shi" (四) which is also the same way we say "Death" here. (Which is "Shi" or 死).

9 is also considered unlucky because 9 is pronounced like "Ku" (九) which sound similar to our word for "Suffering" (Which is "Kurushimi" or "Kurushii" or simply "Ku". 苦)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

4 is my lucky number! well, i'm mildly OCD and just like things in 4s.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: MrConspiracy

I actually LIKE the number 13. If I still lived in America I'd probably play the lottery! lol

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The number 13 is only an unlucky number in pagan beliefs.

It certainly isn't 'unlucky' in Christianity, anyway. It's funny how people think, though.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: WanderingThe3rd

What's the point in winning the lottery if the dollar is going to collapse?

You can't get the money out the bank in large denominations.
If the dollar is due to collapse in the next few months, you won't be able to spend it fast enough.
I don't imagine you'll get your hands on physical commodities fast enough to save any of your wealth, and if you do someone will know you're holding it.

So, what's the point????

new topics

top topics

join