It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avoid WINDOWS in the Future

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

sorry but no, those are all click bait articles making noise about non-issues to get some nice ad money, I did not have a single ad in the start menu and I have the option turned on since it never did anything anyway.

Everything else can be disabled in 2 minutes from the settings menu as long as people aren't lazy, for the more paranoid there are programs like ShutUp10 to disable other things, group policies etc etc.

you can opt-out of everything except basic telemetry which exists in everything you use anyway, the only people I still see saying "I have no control in w10" aren't even using W10.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Vamana

I disagree. The same can be said about your links that say the opposite. Oh wait... You didn't offer any!

Most of the sites linked are all reputable sites that have been dealing with the PC world for many years now. I've ALSO done my research and I've been in the tech field all of my working life. If you want to dismiss it, fine, but don't expect me to follow.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
a reply to: Klassified

I suppose we can just agree to disagree.

Absolutely. No offense intended or taken.

But do realize you aren't talking with some kid in his parents basement. I have been in this industry a long time. I am a working tech/consultant to a lot of clients. I'm speaking from experience, not just alarmist articles read and gleaned from on the interwebz.

edit on 1/12/2016 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

LOL

You know you're completely full of it right?

ohhh Bjarneom... looks at posts hahahah yeah.
edit on 12-1-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneornI would think if you run Windows 10 in a virtual machine then weed out what is bad. It would be safe in the real machine.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yes, thank you. That is a good start.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

And why should I link some biased article claiming win10 is a miracle? what will that achieve? I don't even follow any of these articles, I try it out myself and post from my own experience.

reputable or not they still need to make some money on ads and the W10 fearmongering has been working really good for clicks, at the same time none of them have any solid proof at all of MS doing anything malicious.

I did not ask anyone to follow me I just pointed out the false info that is circulating for months now.

in fact the only people I see trying to sway others to follow them is the anti W10 crowd who never used it more than 5 minutes if at all, "random dude1 : hey guys should I upgrade to win10?" "random dude2 : no no no! it is full of spyware and malware and will steal your bank account and buy a ferrari" while having pretty much zero proof MS is doing anything remotely close to that.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Reading the OP and some of the other..... How shall I say it.... "Special" replies makes me wonder if they are serious, or if they are just simply "trolling"???

Windows 10 is indeed the best Micro$oft OS to be released to date, IMO.
And I say that without being a Microsoft fanboy by any means - I triple boot between it, Mint, and Arch. To be perfectly honest, I mostly booted into Linux when 7/8/8.1 was the active MS OS. Would only boot into windows if I had to write a paper or utilize certain medical software. Being the nerd that I am, I upgraded to Win10 on the day of release. And whilst reading this thread, I just realized that I haven't booted into Linux more than 2-3 times in almost a year! Whereas before, I basically "lived" in Linux. If that isn't a compelling testimonial for an OS......

I have not seen one single "AD" or "included malware" in windows 10 - EVER. And I am what one would call a "Power User". Certainly not a newbie to computers, either. I still remember the sound of my old CompuServe TERMINAL buzzing away as it connected to its amazing 500/1500 baud modem:
Image of TRS-80

Those were the days....

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Overheard a conversation today about the crappy Windows 10.

This guy pointed at the circling "wait - I'm working" dots at boot up and told the ITguy that this was one of his main gripes.

The other thing he hated was "the glassy look" of websites presented in the webbrowser (firefox). Apparently it was "never like that on the Win7" pc's.

When asked about the better kernel, the more stable running etc. He said that he didn't care much about that, but if they kept the Win10 glassy appearwnce he wouldn't come back.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Ohhhh The Irony!

The ones claiming that the OP is sadly mistaken is in fact, the ones that are mistaken... Though, the OP may be infected with adware, the point is not totally untrue. There has been some questionable issues happening in Win 10 and people have taken note. Either the responders here just don't know what to look for or believe it all to just be a normal thing for windows OPs when in fact, it's only been added with win10.

Here are a few links:

Ads in Win 10
Beta News
ZDnet
InfoWorld
PCWorld

Windows 10 - Malware included....

The struggle is REAL! Yes... Win 10 DOES come with malware/spyware and keyloggers. It's part of Win 10 itself. This link will give you many great examples as well as how to turn them off.

PCWorld.... same as above

Win 10 Spyware not limited to just Win 10. Updates have included Win 7 and 8!

InfoWorld
TechWorm

That being noted... No thank you! I'll stick with Win 7 Pro without the spyware updates. I just built a new gaming system and I will still not upgrade beyond what I just mentioned. If I want more performance, I'll just go with Linux. For now, I don't need any more performance than what Win 7 Pro offers with all of the snooper switches turned off.

The popular free browsers Firefox and Chrome both have built-in telemetry. Linux of various flavors has built in telemetry. It isn't some sneaky thing that Microsoft have uniquely started. In fact, lots of software "phones home".

MS Office apps, once upon a time, used to store user identifying information within document files. Likewise, there were parts of Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 which record details and 'phone home to Microsoft and which did not adequately alert the user about the process. Due to the in-built spying and things like key-escrow, the German and Chinese governments mandated that Microsoft products were not to be used for any Government agency - i.e: MS lost a massive market due to those policies. They aren't likely to do it again.

On one hand, Windows would be crap if Microsoft allowed abends to occur unreported and unresolved. But MS didn't want a repeat of the previous debacles and so has ensured that the telemetry has no user identifying data. They can tell what happened and its context, but not where and who.

There was a key logger built in to the preview versions of Windows 10. Microsoft made no attempt to hide the fact, it was a condition of installing the previews that you were being monitored. Those keyloggers are removed from the retail software, although, if you are using pirated versions of Windows, they may actually be modified preview versions with the keyloggers still present (and therefore working).

edit on 12/1/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 11:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3
Yup, I'm done soon with Windows. Bought my first mac 4 months ago, I haven't even used it yet cause I have no idea how to use a mac. I need to contact apple and get a user manual.

I can feel Steve Jobs turning in his grave at that post...

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Actually OP, I think I'm going to do everything in my power to stay IN Windows in the future. I updated on day 0 of the roll out. I also opted into the Insider Preview for my phone. Between the phone, 3 PC's, my Xbox and my car operating on the 10 framework, things have been going absolutely fantastic.

If you really think your searching for "The Best of Ace of Bass on Cassette Tape" is worth the time of Microsoft, well...I have some really bad news for you. On the other hand, if you're really embarrassed to be searching for it, perhaps that's a you problem, not a world problem.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join