It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Avoid WINDOWS in the Future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:32 AM
link   
This is for all those, who wish to upgrade their Windows as Microsoft is abandoning old software. Avoid it, if you can.

Microsoft's new policy, is a huge problem for all users. Windows 10, is manufactured as "Malware included" by Microsoft. Once you insert it, you'll get endless advertisements and you will be having a difficult time of getting rid of these. One can understand such policy by those who provide free software, but Windows isn't free of charge.

My advice is, buy a Macintosh or use another operating system like Linux, if you can muster it. Avoid upgrading to latest Windows.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bjarneorn

I upgraded one laptop about 5 months ago and just finished a second and have yet to see any Malware..

I don't care for the OS but it has no Malware

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I don't have Windows now but I know someone who has the latest version and says that the email is unusable at times because of all the ads.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   
There is no malware included in windows, some extras are provided with support of adverts but if you just log in and get messages saying stuff i think you may have some serious issues to attend to on your machine.

The way windows is going is gown the modular route where you pay a very small price for the base operating system but everything else will be charged for so you fancy the MS email client (others available) then that'll be $4.99 and it'll be logged against your MS account so if you reinstall it'll know thus saving you searching for that activation code etc.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn
This is for all those, who wish to upgrade their Windows as Microsoft is abandoning old software. Avoid it, if you can.

Microsoft's new policy, is a huge problem for all users. Windows 10, is manufactured as "Malware included" by Microsoft. Once you insert it, you'll get endless advertisements and you will be having a difficult time of getting rid of these. One can understand such policy by those who provide free software, but Windows isn't free of charge.

My advice is, buy a Macintosh or use another operating system like Linux, if you can muster it. Avoid upgrading to latest Windows.

I've installed Windows 10 on numerous machines, and can safely confirm that this is absolute rubbish.
Windows 10 does not come with Malware, and is not ad-supported software.

...and if you're having issues with ads, you've probably acquired malware or spyware somewhere else - in which case I suggest you get some good anti-malware software, and install a hosts file to help with ad blocking.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Once you insert it, you'll get endless advertisements and you will be having a difficult time of getting rid of these.

I updated one Windows 7 and one Windows 8.1 computers to Windows 10 in August and I haven't seen any advertisements.

Where are those advertisements supposed to appear?

My advice: learn more about computers, it will help in the future.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: PurpleHorizon
I don't have Windows now but I know someone who has the latest version and says that the email is unusable at times because of all the ads.

I have been part of the Windows Insider program since mid last year when I installed the previews, upgrading as new versions were rolled out. Since then I have upgraded and installed Windows 10 (MSDN & Retail) on over 100 PC's at a number of educational sites and also on my personal laptop.

Due to early incompatibilities with ant-malware software, I have chosen to use the default Windows Defender anti-malware that ships with Windows 10 (for free).

I have not seen any advertisements or pop-ups in all that time in either in the Edge browser or in e-mail (however, I tend to use Office 365 online, Outlook or Thunderbird) and have only ever received advertising e-mails that I am subscribed to.

Perhaps your friend clicked a link allowing a malware hook to get in. Windows 10, of itself, is fairly clean. Even MS's outgoing telemetry is anonymized.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I will keep my win 7 for as along as I can from what I have read about win 10,

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Yup, I'm done soon with Windows. Bought my first mac 4 months ago, I haven't even used it yet cause I have no idea how to use a mac. I need to contact apple and get a user manual.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   
nonsense
windows 10 is fine. you gotta custom install and shut off all the "helpful" stuff, or just go into preferences and shut off the endless tracking and such (no, I dont want you watching every website I go to in order to make seamless advertising experiences!".

Mac? heh..sure, pay for a expensive underpowered trendy pos that hardly any games run on natively and be constantly asking if a mac version will be coming out for (name software product).

Macs are ok I suppose for..like...simple tasks like umm..web browsing?...

Win 10 is far better than 8, and has support of Directx 12, so yeah..
but I know people who were screaming never upgrade from Windows 3.11, and then windows 98, etc...always people who reject change and even spread false info to keep their group alive (heard some weirdo saying windows 10 comes with malware. heh...like that makes sense)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   

I have installed windows 10 from scratch on 2 pc's.

It sounds, that in your case, you have a pre existing malware infection.

I would run an anti virus or other malware/adware detector to clean up your infection.

Or at worse case wipe your hard drive clean and re install.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Meanwhile in the real world, you are wrong.

No amount of disagreeing will ever change people that look for a reason to complain about MSFT so keep on thinking the way you do. I am sure this will be followed up by the normal "fired up Win10 and saw an ad, malware!!" but that is alright because in the modern world you have the option of enjoying the best things each of the 3 major OS's offer..and if one of them doesnt work for you then ignore.

Which isn't the same as this ridiculous OP .

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Have to dive in here but I hate misleading BS. I am not a defender of Windows, far from it, I'm a Linux user. But I do have my sons old PC (only 13 months old and hellishly powerful!) which I use for gaming and watching football ("the beautiful game" version
). It has Windows 10 with no malware. I have installed the usual freebie stuff for anti virus, video player, CCleaner, Steam , acestream etc and still no malware. Of all the stuff installed acestream was my biggest concern. Like all these things make damn sure you only press the correct "download" button. One mistake and all sorts of cr.p comes streaming down. That said I have noticed that Windows 10 is bit more careful about installing new software. So if you do get malware it is not Microsoft's fault........did I really just say that !?!? Jesus I need to sit down.

NB Linux followers I'm only using a PC because Steam for Windows is sooo good and Steam for Linux has some catching up to do, especially with the 64bit compatibility and GL issues which I could never resolve. I use Linux for everything else such as my working Laptop. My home file/media server is built using a Raspberry PI which runs silently and naff all power and very suprisingly much faster than my NAS drive did before it failed. My PI is way cheaper than a NAS drive as well.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Bull..I installed it the 1st day on 5 separate devices, laps,pc, phones....nothing.

No ads, no pop ups,and no auto play video ads....nothing.

Because that's the case...it you guys and where you visit, how often, click, click, click etc etc.

The fact that we all pretty much visit and open the same things...and I get nothing...it's baloney. Like blaming ATS for all your crap. Nuts. I get nothing, zero, zip, nada on 10, or did on 7, XP etc.

Its viewing habits and destinations that inject these things on your stuff...otherwise it would be everyone on Windows...it's not.

Nonsense...and by the way...I have nothing special on my devices...average with barely any virus or maleware protection either...and no ads etc.....
edit on 12-1-2016 by mysterioustranger because: splchkr

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:27 AM
link   
IMO, W10 is by far the best OS MS has done ever, now don't get me wrong it isn't perfect of course but it is way better than the older versions, with the latest November (Redstone update coming soon) update the OS is ridiculously fast and snappy compared to the older windows, better resource management, better file transfer, better performance in games(in my case at least), small install size with only 13.5GB fully updated compared to W7 with its gigantic 20-25GB+ 3 hour updates, + lots more improvements that I cba to type.

once people get over themselves with the "I don't want change waaa" and stop believing every silly click bait article they read about "malware" they will eventually move to W10, just like XP whiners whining about W7 moved to W7.

I have been using W10 for months now since the preview versions, not once did I ever get some "malware" or "ads" , and I have no AV installed and windows defender is also disabled, and none of the other silly "W10 did this without me asking waaa waaa" have ever happened.

there is nothing wrong with W10, if you don't want to use it then don't use it, no need to fearmonger others from using it.
edit on 12 1 2016 by Vamana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:28 AM
link   

I've been running Windows 10 since it's first release to beta testers. I have never seen any ads or popups. Sounds like you need to look at what else you have installed on your computer. I'd say it's likely you're infected.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ckhk3
Yup, I'm done soon with Windows. Bought my first mac 4 months ago, I haven't even used it yet cause I have no idea how to use a mac. I need to contact apple and get a user manual.

You can learn anything you need to know about running a Mac online. There are a ton of how to articles and videos out there. However...
Manuals for Apple products

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Ohhhh The Irony!

The ones claiming that the OP is sadly mistaken is in fact, the ones that are mistaken... Though, the OP may be infected with adware, the point is not totally untrue. There has been some questionable issues happening in Win 10 and people have taken note. Either the responders here just don't know what to look for or believe it all to just be a normal thing for windows OPs when in fact, it's only been added with win10.

Here are a few links:

Ads in Win 10
Beta News
ZDnet
InfoWorld
PCWorld

Windows 10 - Malware included....

The struggle is REAL! Yes... Win 10 DOES come with malware/spyware and keyloggers. It's part of Win 10 itself. This link will give you many great examples as well as how to turn them off.

PCWorld.... same as above

Win 10 Spyware not limited to just Win 10. Updates have included Win 7 and 8!

InfoWorld
TechWorm

That being noted... No thank you! I'll stick with Win 7 Pro without the spyware updates. I just built a new gaming system and I will still not upgrade beyond what I just mentioned. If I want more performance, I'll just go with Linux. For now, I don't need any more performance than what Win 7 Pro offers with all of the snooper switches turned off.

edit on 12-1-2016 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck
There is no malware in in MS products. No code in Windows falls under the definition of malicious.

That "spyware" you and the media bimbos are talking about has been a part of Windows and Apple's OS since the advent of the internet. Staying with an old operating system is not an escape. Neither is holding off on updates. It's still there, and there's nothing you're going to do about it but disconnect your internet. At least 10 finally gives you the ability to opt out of much of it. Something XP, 7, and 8 did not give you.

Adware: Has everyone forgotten so quickly that MS has ALWAYS advertised their own products in their software? For instance, MS works used to include "adware" when you installed it, and occasionally would advertise other MS products. This was back in Windows XP, and I think Millenium too. So recommending Office in Windows 10 is nothing new.

Windows 10 also represents part of a new business model. A model that MS has been reluctant to adopt for this very reason. People going off half-cocked, not understanding what they're talking about. It's ok for your smartphone and apple to advertise and spy on you, but if MS does it. OH NOES!!!

Get a grip, folks. If you're going to have a computer, and you're going to run MS, Android, and/or Apple OS'es, you are and will be spied on, just like your smart phone and tablets do.
edit on 1/12/2016 by Klassified because: add google's OS

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I suppose we can just agree to disagree.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join