It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton to propose four percent income-tax 'surcharge' on wealthy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: ketsuko

Does a loaf of bread cost any more for your uncle or cousin than it does for a lower class family? How about for the Walmart CEO? If not, how is a higher tax going to negatively affect them like it would one of those lower class families?

If the country is more dependent on you for the economy to prosper then you have a greater duty to return the favor so to speak. "With great power comes great responsibility." These fat cats want nothing to do with responsibility it seems.

It's not about what something costs.

Instead of looking at the money, let's look at time.

Many who don't make much spend all week working hard and every minute of that time goes directly to support their families.

Many who make more spend all week working hard and yet, they spend every increasing portions of that time working, not for their families, but for the government.

The thing is, rich or poor, no one has more or less time in a week than any other person in which to attempt to work and make a living. It seems wrong that some spend more than half their time working for the government even thought they work the same amount of time as others who don't work any time for the government.

He works hard. I work hard. We both work the same amount of time, but because of some arbitrary measure, you think I deserve to spend more than half that time as a slave to the government instead of working for my family's welfare unlike the other guy.
edit on 11-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Naming it the "Fair Share Surcharge" sounds very Ayn Randish.

What? It does? HOW?!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Instead of looking at the money, let's look at time.

No.
Let''s keep looking at the money.....
how much do you actually "need"?

edit on 1/11/2016 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I think People are

"Fed up" and Disgusted

You are absolutely right. Fed up with the multimillionaires and billionaires finding other countries to hide their money in -- Like Mitt Romney and Steve Jobs RIP did, without paying taxes on it consequently not paying their fair share of what it takes to run this country.

Fed up with huge corporations like Johnson and Johnson being exempt from taxes, and no tellin' what other corporations are exempt.

What Clinton proposes is not nearly enough.

www.ctj.org...

edit on 1/11/2016 by angeldoll because: added link

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

That's all just nit-picky petty jealousy.

There's not enough money there to finance the poverty levels.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You can believe that each person should get what they work for, or you can believe that disliking Walmart's CEO earning 1700 times more than their employees is nit-picky petty jealousy. You can't believe both.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Hard working should never be punished and that is what the so call taxes for the rich does, because the filthy rich uses their pocket money to pay taxes, the tax increases would never make a dent on them, after all they are the ones running the nation.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

No.

Who gets to decide how much you "need"?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

No.

Who gets to decide how much you "need"?

This.

Who cares what you "need".

This is the USA. You're suppose to be free to the point that if you see a demand, and you supply it, and it makes your rich, you made it!

But, for some, they hate seeing that, because they didn't make it, or don't think they can.

There for: moral judgement time. No one should have lots and lots of money. It's not FAIR. There should be a limit, or everyone should have the same to be fair.

And when I see that last statement, the first thing that comes to my mind is next, we'll all greet each other with the word "Comrade."

I'm less concerned about how much people make, and more concerned about the fact that people want to limit it, or control it.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

I don't care so much about what people make, I do very much care about how they make it. In this day and age, primarily through the corruption and exploitation of the Government and workers. Through ruining our planet's environment. I don't care too much about some actor or music artist or football player's wealth (even if it's a bit silly), on the other hand, I want people like the Koch brothers to be crucified for what they've done. Not literally, of course.

But, for some, they hate seeing that, because they didn't make it, or don't think they can.

Often times due to factors outside of their control, to be fair.

No one should have lots and lots of money.

How much is "lots and lots"?

There should be a limit

Yes, there should be. Let's put it at 200 million.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

And when I see that last statement, the first thing that comes to my mind is next, we'll all greet each other with the word "Comrade."

I'm less concerned about how much people make, and more concerned about the fact that people want to limit it, or control it.

And thats just it, when "take" is decided on how much one needs it is over.

First, who are "they" who decide? Lets get real and name it, ultimately it
is the taxman who enforces, but, the "lawmakers" and "kingmakers" decide.
And once they are given that by law they will never ever give it back, and
would only increase till they take 100% and allow you back as much as
they deem you "need".

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
man, y'all are freaking out worrying about the billionaires taxes. Po ole thangs.

@@

When you don't pay your taxes you are STEALING from the government.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:52 PM
link   

A lot of people think that any form of tax is the Government stealing from them.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn

A lot of people think that any form of tax is the Government stealing from them.

And a few actually *know it*

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   
good. the people that exploit capitalism should repay the society that LETS them make all that money. try capitalism in India haha good luck.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   
If you think this country can operate without revenues from taxes, then I don't know what to tell you. Everybody has to pay their fair share of taxes, except for some of the very rich who can afford attorneys, accountants and whoever to figure out shelters for them to dodge it or hide it altogether in other countries, or in the case of corporations probably buy off certain members of Congress so they become exempt.

But go ahead, defend them, because they don't give a donkey's ass about you, and you can take that to the bank.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll Everybody has to pay their fair share of taxes, except for some of the very rich who can afford attorneys, accountants and whoever to figure out shelters for them to dodge it or hide it altogether in other countries ...

....or form 501C "non profit" charities, such as "Charitable Crime Foundations"
in which one gives to one self as a Charity, so one has many different salaries,
several 501C's and several corporations and all expense paid free ride as one
goes about hiring attorneys to fend off regular laws and record keeping,
accountants that can file and re file taxes for 7 to 10 years rolling as they
shelter themselves in constant election cycles in SuperPacs,
hiding money in other countries.

edit on 11-1-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2016 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Absolutely true.

A government that is big enough to give everything, is big enough to also take it all away.

That's just how it works.

Someone starts to make a lot of money because of something they created. They get to this "limit" and the government goes: "Nope. Nope. Nope! You can't have that much, so we are taking everything above that."

That's called stealing in my book. The Gov. didn't earn it. Neither did others. Taking something that doesn't belong to you, simply because you think someone shouldn't have it is called: Stealing.

Then of course that limit puts limit on other things. Someone realizes that the thing they've created that's making them quite rich, is going to go over that limit. What to do?

Why you stop producing it. Lay off the people that are helping produce it, and stop selling it.

While I'm sure that having a hundred million is certainly more than enough to live off of (it certainly would be for me), I certainly would not want others just taking everything after that from me. I earned it. I created it. It belongs to me.

It doesn't lift everyone up. It only brings many things down.

So what then? Now you have a shortage of it. People start yelling about not having it.

Let's vote someone in that will pass laws that keeps someone from not only making too much money, but let's also make laws that they can't shut it down either, they must keep it going so we still get our stuff, and the government can just take all that money past the cap.

Hey! Gov. will LOVE that idea! More money for them! (oh you thought they were going to give that to you? Ha! They got some very expensive tastes....I mean 800 billion a year for the military alone!)......and then, since they were given the power to put that cap in money in place......why not lower it a bit? I mean 200 million is too much, really, let's lower it to 100 million........and then later, we can do it again and drop it to 50 million......

Know what? We just can't stop spending! We need more money!

That's it, you can't make more than a million, everything beyond that is OURS! And we can do it! You let us!

The more power you give the government and allow them to dictate what you can or can not do, the worse things get.

History shows that over and over.

Yet people never seem to learn from it.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

anyone can create a business and make a lot of money. the people working for said business is the foundation of the business, if there are no workers, there is no business.

to pay someone barely enough to live but not enough to prosper is exploitation.

which should be taxed more, those that exploit? or those that are exploited?

its very backwards that wanna be entrepreneurs dont want to pay people enough to live in a house and have the common necessities for life, even though they depend on the working class and the society that allows them to practice capitalism.
edit on 11-1-2016 by vjr1113 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: vjr1113

I'm not talking taxes. Read the other posts.

Some in here are talking about actually having a law that says basically: You are not allowed to make over a certain amount.

In other words: not tax whatever a flat rate of X% or anything like that.

Instead, they are saying: it would be against the law for you to make more than a certain amount. After that amount, it just gets taken from you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join