It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Amish Are Not What They Seem: A Business of Brutal Cruelty

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
When we consider the Amish, we often have the image of a quaint and simple people, living a quiet devoutly religious life without the intrusion of modern influences. Often romanticized in movies and TV shows, we’re presented with the visage of gentle people dedicated to an uncomplicated “country” lifestyle. However, as is all propaganda, it couldn’t be further from the truth. Notorious for working horses until they die in the field or can no longer walk from pulling buggies for hours on hard paved roads, the Amish are known for something that directly clashes with their supposed religious beliefs, brutal animal cruelty.

This hidden aspect of Amish immorality has been brought to light recently in Minnesota, where illegally operated puppy mills have been granted new licenses for expanding their operations. That’s right, despite dozens of reports of extremely brutal cruelty toward the dogs, and extensive citations from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Amish puppy mills are expanding in Minnesota. A state where 80,000 to 90,000 unwanted dogs are euthanized each year.

One of the Minnesota puppy mill operators, an Amish man with an extensive record of USDA violations related to illegal dog breeding, has been granted a permit to operate a puppy farm with 85 adult dogs. Dogs that will be kept in cages, with untreated wounds and illnesses, covered in feces and unable to walk will be churning out those puppies you see in pet stores. Speculation on social media is that these “devoutly religious” Amish are bribing corrupt officials in order to get their permits — permits that would normally be denied to operators with their history of violations.

Minnesota is just the tip of an iceberg of brutality. Often illegally operated Amish puppy mills have been a problem across the Midwest and Northeast for decades. Back in 1993, the New York Times ran a series of stories exposing the illegal and mind boggling brutal Amish operations in Pennsylvania. Puppy mills in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, and Indiana, most of which are operated by the Amish, refuse to follow state kennel laws and regularly accumulate multiple violations with little or no penalty. In the rare cases where an Amish puppy mill operation is shut down, it’s simply restarted on an Amish neighbor’s property.

Current estimates calculate that these mostly illegal Amish puppy mills are responsible for as much as 70% of the puppies that make it to retail pet stores. Masking the brutal points of origin through puppy auctions, it’s often difficult, if not impossible to trace the point of origin of these troubled dogs back to their brutal beginnings. And indeed they often come with behavioral problems, after being raised in sadistic conditions with little or no human contact outside of the ruthless operators. And all too often, these puppies with behavioral problems are too much for a family to handle, and are given up to shelters and humane societies where euthanasia is likely.

While in the broad scheme of all the world’s problems, these barbaric puppy mills might seem like a small annoyance amongst an overwhelming cacophony of societal problems. But is it really? Is this actually an example of how callous we’ve become; that we would allow these domesticated creatures that can give us so much, to be breed by the hundreds of thousands in such deplorable conditions? The only way to fix society is by one problem at a time, and this seems like an easy problem to fix. And fixing the smaller problems is the path to fixing the bigger ones.

This is no different than how the beef you eat is treated, the chickens, the pigs... But of course, because they're dogs everyone throws a fit. The only difference here is that Pigs, Cows, Chickens, don't get a sad wittle commercial to make everyone feel bad enough to donate a little cash to a "profitless" fund. And obviously, they're not abused by those Evil Communist Amish. They're abused by big corporations that package flesh into colorful packages for you to consume.

You know what they do to chics at hatcheries? They throw them, alive, into big grinders because they can't be used. Hundreds of them a day get grinded up alive screaming and kicking.
Hypocrisy.
edit on 11-1-2016 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Ok, so instead of discussing legislative ways to counter this industry and its abusive practice, which is not exclusive to the Amish, it seems the tone has gone more to "hate the Amish" . I am a little concerned here, as it now feels almost like a propaganda thread, and not a discussion.

I tried, and only 1 person made an effort. I am a bit concerned now. Because now the thread feels like the opening salvo for the GEC on a domestic front.

a reply to: Flesh699

Actually I attempted to start a discussion from that perspective and outline the differences and recommendations and suggestions to address it in this post, but everyone wanted to play "two minutes hate on the Amish" instead.
edit on 11-1-2016 by AmericanRealist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I think the question you are posing is important. Do we pick and choose what type of animal it is acceptable to abuse and slaughter? All animals have a God given right to a peaceful life and a humane death. The majority of our world is so brainwashed into believing that there should be a difference between domesticated and livestock animals. Throwing chicks into a grinder at a hatchery is the same as throwing a puppy into a grinder if you ask me. Wicked people doing wicked things to an innocent creature born into captivity. The puppy mills must be stopped just as all other types of 'legal' animal cruelty must be stopped. Domesticated or livestock, they all feel pain and suffer insurmountable mental anguish in captive situations with no relief.

I am just as disgusted with the Amish for taking their horses to 'slaughter sale' as I am by big corporations selling their ill gotten bloody flesh on the supermarket shelves.It isn't just the amish that own puppy mills and take their horses to slaughter, there is a large swath of people and corporations that are responsible for all the animal suffering.

Point blank, puppy mills aren't ethical or humane (there is no state or federal oversight into the treatment of the dogs) by any stretch of the imagination and they should be outlawed in every state.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

Some of us could see that's where this thread was headed from a mile away.

Of particular note is the fact that the OP generalizes "the Amish" in the title, but later specifies that there are in fact two schools (at minimum) of Amish--the old and the new; of which only the "new" appear to be engaging in this disgusting behavior.

The title implies that this behavior is rampant among Amish communities as a whole, when the OP knows that isn't the case.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   

We’re drifting off topic, but if I may respond to this:

This is no different than how the beef you eat is treated, the chickens, the pigs...

On the contrary, it is very different. We don’t eat dogs or horses (well, most of us don’t, and certainly the Amish do not).

All animals live on other living things. Death and slaughter are mandated by nature, not by us.

Long ago, Jain ascetics in India used to carry brooms to sweep the ground on which they were about to walk and strainers to save the lives of animals that might be living in the water they drank. But such precautions are futile: we kill with every breath we take. We cannot live without killing.

Your problem, as I see it, is not with killing per se but in the industrial raising and slaughter of animals for food.

That is a consequence of industrialization and of our massive numbers.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Clearly. In any case, I will try again.

As far as I can tell, the establishment and people seem to be continuing a pattern of de-regulation of most industries. Partly how we end up with disasters like the BP oil spill and our current methane leak out in California, as well as the sub-prime housing crisis. Lack of regulation.

I feel like the mass production of dogs is an industry that should not only be regulated better, but much heavier and with extreme prejudice. If the supply goes down, the demand will go down because more thought will be taken before the acquisition of an animal that is not as easily replaced or 'tossed away'. By forcing the industry to switch exclusively to localized or regional breeders, it will be significantly more efficient to keep tabs on whats going on by numbers alone IMO. The obstacle however is, how do we do this legally without violating the constitution or something?? Will we need to pass an amendment not specific to the puppy industry, but the authority to regulate industries that have the potential for abuse and callous harm against non-consumable living organisms??

This way the amendment would cover the ability and authority to not only cover the puppy mills/dog breeding industry, but also include aquaculture, race/work horses, and breeding programs for zoo's aquariums and research organizations. And under whos authority does it fall?? USDA, FDA, Fish and Game?? Maybe even forest service I dont know.

Is there anyone here with legal experience background that can give us input on the challenges of killing the mass production aspect of this?? Animals bred to be more than consumable food are shipped nationally. Lets change this and make it more difficult for non-consumable animals to be a disposable commodity as a result.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

On the contrary, it is very different. We don’t eat dogs or horses (well, most of us don’t, and certainly the Amish do not).

That's the only difference - we eat some and don't eat others

It is a result of industrial farming - but that's not an excuse for the abuse. The cruelty is the same. If we care about cruelty and suffering we should think about all of them

I honestly can't bring myself to go out looking and then bring back photos to this thread - but if you saw the life of a pig (as just one example) it's heartbreaking. That we could do that to anything and look the other way - I can't understand it

I don't say this to judge - and I know all too well how difficult it is for people to put all animals on the same pedestal. We love our pets and we love our horses... killing and eating animals is natural. But, at one time animals lived and then were killed. What we do now (at least in this country) is closer to something that happens in a horror film. It's nothing but torture

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

I know how awful these things are. I have had to unfollow several friends on Facebook because they insist on thrusting the horror of industrial animal farming in everybody’s face every morning. Yes, it is cruel, abominable, an animal holocaust. But it a consequence of mass-market industrial capitalism, not carnivorism. That’s all I’m saying.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 01:15 AM
link   

a reply to: Spiramirabilis

One problem at a time right?? I absolutely agree Food Inc. should and could be addressed as well, but realistically we need to take steps towards that. Starting in the pet industry may very well be that foot in the door for the livestock factory farms as well.

Lets us propose legal challenges, counter arguments, edit and amend, and resubmit legislation in the meantime still?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I know how awful these things are. I have had to unfollow several friends on Facebook because they insist on thrusting the horror of industrial animal farming in everybody’s face every morning. Yes, it is cruel, abominable, an animal holocaust. But it a consequence of mass-market industrial capitalism, not carnivorism. That’s all I’m saying.

I understand. I do

I work very hard at not proselytizing - or judging

If things were different I would still eat meat. I think. I grew up in the natural world - I don't have any problems with how that world works. There are a lot of countries around the world that handle all this differently - many in the west are working very hard to make all of this more humane. My country isn't one of those - yet. Unfortunately

I bring it up because what Flesh699 says is accurate and true - and worth discussing

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

One problem at a time right?? I absolutely agree Food Inc. should and could be addressed as well, but realistically we need to take steps towards that. Starting in the pet industry may very well be that foot in the door for the livestock factory farms as well. Lets us propose legal challenges, counter arguments, edit and amend, and resubmit legislation in the meantime still?

Agreed. I understand that this is not going to change overnight. It's difficult for me to not think about one if I'm thinking about the other

They've been talking about puppy mills since I was a kid. I honestly can't believe this is still an issue, but here we are...

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Nor should ANY animal mills exist - pig farms cattle farms - they are all holocausts for the animals

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

So if you don't SEE it, it's OK??

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 04:58 AM
link   

You either care about the lives of OTHERS, or you don't. Racism, speciesism, genderism . . all these things need to be stripped from the ego before we can call ourselves Human at all. Live vegan, be an example. Words are so cheap.
edit on 12-1-2016 by kiro8lak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Well, crikey,,there goes my belief in one particular religion, cult or populace that I have believed in all my life was simplistic and holistic in it's approach to living. No killing, no rape, no malicious injury or damage and certainly no discrimination.

But hey, I'm an Aussie, but tragically and suddenly I have to scratch this last society from my list of simplistic living peoples. Is there any populace or tribe that doesn't treat animals poorly. And please don't go for the indiginous simpathy card because I've had a lot of experience in that regard.

So now a thread of the Armish has been created.

I prefer the Armish to so other cults, native populaces or religions that are attacked on ATS. Sorry about the puppies but I'm more concerned with peoples heads.

Kind regards,

Bally.

edit on 12-1-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

a religion with a side brutality - never heard of such atrocities

a religion that contradicts their actions? Very rare

join the rest of the religions

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: RoderickUsher

No birth cert or SSN.

They are out of the matrix. That is why they have money. You don't see the EPA, BLM, or the like giving them crap or grabbing their property now do you?

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Some dog breeders are the type of people who shouldn't be allowed to breed themselves.

When a bitch can't have anymore litters then they get shot. If pups can't get sold they are drowned in a bucket. However it would not be such a problem if some folk out there could be convinced to rescue a mutt from the pound instead of spending money on conveyor belt pup and giving money to the heartless breeding machines that you describe.

However we are being hypocritical. There are chicken, beef and lamb mills-the difference is we don't eat the puppies.

edit on 12-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2016 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
How many horses have you trained? I'm not confusing a blessed thing. Horses aren't people. They are flight animals with an ingrained, explosive response that is particularly violent if they are unsure and abused. An abused horse is an unpredictable, frightened horse. Even a horse who has had their "spirit broken", and stands there with their head half down, barely looking at anything will blow up if they make a mistake because they think that you are going to beat them. I have not found any of that to the be the case with the Amish horses (again, the caveat is locally). You can't "train them to be normal", with abuse. That is an absurd assertion, generally made by those who don't know one end of a horse from the other.

Welp, we have a fundamental philosophical divergence on what constitutes the abuse of a horse, but that's not really on-topic so I suppose you are correct by your definitions of the words.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: kiro8lak

I happen to know that he loves animals more than most

He's not wrong. Eating meat is natural. You could argue that cruelty is natural too - but that's something we can control

This situation will never be settled by insisting that people become vegan - or even vegetarian. That will never happen anyway, though I think there has been a shift, and those numbers will change

As has been pointed out - we're off topic - thanks partly to me

AmericanRealist is right - one problem at a time. At least in this thread. The same laws that will bring an end to this puppy mill situation will go towards changing things for all animals - that's how law works

Animal lives for profit is the problem. If you can get people to stop seeing them and treating them as a product - that will change everything

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join