It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life Insurance: The Irony of How it can Actually Put You in Danger

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I was thinking about this last night after watching a special on the Phil Hartman murder (comedian from SNL in the 90's) on this show called "Snapped". Even though this particular case didn't involve life insurance as a motivating factor, it still got me thinking (in a lot of other episodes, they cover cases that did involve life insurance as well).

People take out life insurance policies so that their family doesn't become financially ruined if God-forbid something happens to them.

The scary thing is, that often times 6-figure insurance policy is also seen as a get rich quick opportunity for psychopaths. Husbands/wives/children, anyone who severely lacks empathy who is willing to hurt others may be willing to kill their own family member or loved one just to get that life insurance money. It's so disgusting to think about, but look at the world we live in today. Vanity, incessant consumption, quantity over quality, especially in America it seems so many people are too caught up with things rather than relationships. It's disheartening really.

I just wanted to make a thread on how ironic it is that when someone makes the responsible choice to take out a life insurance policy, sometimes that's actually putting them in harm's way more than anything. Thoughts anyone?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I have always jokingly said I always want to be worth more alive than dead, but that hasn't been the situation for awhile. I guess I better treat my wife right just in case.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

When you take into consideration black market organ harvesting, I think we're all potentially worth a LOT more dead than alive, lol yikes!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
When you take into consideration black market organ harvesting...

I wonder if Mrs. Metallicus is looking for a co-conspirator.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:09 AM
link   

As I grow even older, I'm struck by how often I learn of cases where no one is actually killed, but members of the family are careless about the welfare of the aged one. Far more is at the core of that disregard for the wellbeing of the aged one than an insurance check to the heirs. The modern American society does not respect the aged and many efforts, public and private, to appear that it does are mere lip-service.

edit on 11-1-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

That also makes me think of the many cases I've heard of when "caretakers" or family members drugged and took advantage of the elderly family members, making them the executor of state, beneficiary, withdrawing their life savings, etc.

Despicable what some people will do to people they are supposed to be caring for

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
I was thinking about this last night after watching a special on the Phil Hartman murder (comedian from SNL in the 90's) on this show called "Snapped". Even though this particular case didn't involve life insurance as a motivating factor, it still got me thinking (in a lot of other episodes, they cover cases that did involve life insurance as well).

People take out life insurance policies so that their family doesn't become financially ruined if God-forbid something happens to them.

The scary thing is, that often times 6-figure insurance policy is also seen as a get rich quick opportunity for psychopaths. Husbands/wives/children, anyone who severely lacks empathy who is willing to hurt others may be willing to kill their own family member or loved one just to get that life insurance money. It's so disgusting to think about, but look at the world we live in today. Vanity, incessant consumption, quantity over quality, especially in America it seems so many people are too caught up with things rather than relationships. It's disheartening really.

I just wanted to make a thread on how ironic it is that when someone makes the responsible choice to take out a life insurance policy, sometimes that's actually putting them in harm's way more than anything. Thoughts anyone?

On the other hand, my guess would be that murder would be damn near impossible to get away with when there is a company that stands to lose money and they can afford lawyers and private investigators. Even cops don't have that much motive to solve crime. They get paid no matter what.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   

I used to say to people who advocate for socialized health care that they were putting their lives in the hands of the social security administration who undeniably has in their best interests, your death.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Lieutenant Kenda holds there are but three motives for murder, money, sex, and revenge.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

My mum used to work in healthcare here in the UK and the more there are in care the more hours there are for people to be paid for so killing them off wouldn't help as even those up the line would be sacked as theres no work for them.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Lieutenant Kenda holds there are but three motives for murder, money, sex, and revenge.

Homicide Hunter reference - love it

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I used to say to people who advocate for socialized health care that they were putting their lives in the hands of the social security administration who undeniably has in their best interests, your death.

Interesting premise - you are right. Would SSA conspire with other parts of the government in hopes of ensuring a quicker death for us? hmmm

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
a reply to: greencmp

My mum used to work in healthcare here in the UK and the more there are in care the more hours there are for people to be paid for so killing them off wouldn't help as even those up the line would be sacked as theres no work for them.

That doesn't really make me feel better about socialized health care.

The point I was making is that, in the US, we pay into SS all of our lives with the understanding that when we retire we will get back what we put in.

If we enable the very same people to dictate the quality and availability of our healthcare, we shouldn't be surprised if our expected lifespan tends to be below that threshold.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:55 AM
link   
A good life insurance policy is a must if you care about the financial well being of your family.

Murdering someone for a life insurance policy is one of the oldest scams in the book. Looking at the deceased insurance policies and other assets is almost always the first thing investigators will look at when foul play is suspected.

Money brings out the worst in many people. I've seen families nearly torn apart squabbling over a few thousand dollars in assets.

posted on Jan, 15 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't get a policy on myself , but the scary part is others can do it but forging your signature
I've watched so many of those cases on tv where the motive was life insurance. Thankfully if there is a policy that usually leads them to the prime suspect and they get caught.
Motives for murder are all too often about money or greed

I'd be suspicious if somebody suggested to me to get one.

new topics

top topics

join