It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

David Bowie

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Writer, producer, singer, performer - Bowie not only excelled at everything he did but set new standards in the process.
RIP David, Freddie Mercury, Lemmie and Frank Zappa are all waiting to jam with you.

Thank you for all the amazing music!
What a gift he leaves the world.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

David

Will be thinking about this a lot today

I'm going to miss knowing he's here

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   

rip...

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Writer, producer, singer, performer - Bowie not only excelled at everything he did but set new standards in the process.

And actor. Although that could be included under performer. He was quite a talented soul.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:57 AM
link   

When I was 5 I can clearly remember seeing a kids news show in the UK (fairly sure it was John Cravens newsround) and a report on this weird man with red hair. That would have been late '72/73 and he has been a major inspiration to me ever since. My wife woke me up with the news this morning, and am gutted, although there is so much to celebrate about his art.

If you haven't heard it, his last album, Blackstar is a revelation, listening to it now it's clearly written as a farewell.

RIP

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The song title sums up how his fans are feeling today.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

He was a decent actor too!

I feel like my teenage years are dying off.

RIP and thank you for your contributions to my ability to actually get to dance and enjoy my school's "sock hops".

(yes, i am that old)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Wow....this is a shocker!

Bowie was probably my favorite musician...his music spanning and influencing generations.

RIP

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I cried today. My earliest memories of Bowie was in the back of a an early 60's VW beetle heading down to a surf break in the south west of West Australia listening to the Ziggy Stardust album getting amped to go surfing with my older brother and his friends. Bowie's music has been a constant in my life for 36 years, and the climax was seeing him live in 2004 in Perth. His lyrics have given me insights for decades. He was a gift to our time. Namaste David.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Sad. Gonna listen to some of his music for a while in his memory. Another icon of music gone.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Just started paying attention to him musically only a year or so ago.

Talent.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   
This does suck.
I was listening to this on a long drive through the snow just last night, thinking what a wonderful song.
I really paid attention to the lyrics, more than usual.

watch the ripples change their size
But never leave the stream
Of warm impermanence and
So the days float through my eyes
But still the days seem the same
And these children that you spit on
As they try to change their worlds
Are immune to your consultations
They're quite aware of what they're going through

and this was one of my other faves as aa kid

musically fearless

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
In his book "Limit" author Frank Schätzing let David Bowie sing his Space Oddity in space in the age of 78.

He said: "It was clear for me since a long time that the man who sang Major Tom must appear in a book about space."

Now it's heaven instead of space.

R.I.P. David Bowie. You were a work of art yorself.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

R.I.P

Just listened to 'Lazarus' , quite spooky co-incidence and a great tune I might add.

Not spooky, apparently he wanted the release of Blackstar to correspond closely to his death. He said that "Lazarus" was a parting message.

Even dying, he was creating art.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Such a sad day. RIP.

edit on 11-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Even dying, he was creating art.

He certainly looks very sick in the video. I thought it was makeup and special effects. Plainly I was wrong.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Yeah, I remember thinking how old and not well he looked....little did we know

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I was in this thread last night. It is about an online game form 1994.
It is still there, yet largely abandoned and all fees to download previously paid areas of the game have been removed.

I downloaded the 'Polygram' world and in it there were empty chat rooms your avatar could walk around in. Most were geared toward a bunch of singers and groups form the time. Even Spice Girls shared a room with other artists.
There was a David Bowie room, one of the few that did not have to share with other artists.

That was the last thing I did before going to sleep. Walk out of the David Bowie theme room and log out of the game. I woke up in the night and opened my laptop to CNN. And there it was, the story of the death. I am used to odd coincidences, though.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake

Daily Mail says 18 month secret battle with cancer- More here.

Lemmy, Bowie, all within a month- RIP.

Nine Inch Nails feat David Bowie - Hurt (live) (1995)

I was just watching this concert last week. I couldnt get over how Bowie held back in order to let Trent shine. He was an artist with class.

Fans out there who havent already seen it should Youtube his David Bowie and Friends: A very Special Birthday concert. It was Bowie being Bowie. Having a blast tearing up the stage with all kinds of artists. He looked ecstactic and elated for an old rocker then. There are many personas of his to Love but all were him.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think his early stuff, and up till 1980 is some of the best music ever produced. The glam rock stuff, especially
"Rebel Rebel" and the stuff he did with Mick Ronson and Trevor Bolder is incredible. Later, 'Heros' and 'Scary Monsters'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join