It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A jackpot-rigging scandal is forgotten as Powerball fever sweeps the United States

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: Informer1958

I don't think most people who play realize how very small their chances of winning actually are. They get the money, after all, by selling a lot of losing tickets. A LOT. If someone gave me one, and it won, cool. I wouldn't buy one, though.

Yeah , I always say I am going to win the lottery and retire, Then people tell me I have to pay and play to win....

I know! So unfair.....

I stick with things like sweepstakes, which require no money. Odds are super small, but hey, I can dream! A click or two day, under a minute, and someone has to win. I could for for a few grand a week.....

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: greencmp

I don't think most people who play realize how very small their chances of winning actually are. They get the money, after all, by selling a lot of losing tickets. A LOT. If someone gave me one, and it won, cool. I wouldn't buy one, though.

Being that many people do not understand economy or responsibility, how could we reasonably expect them to understand probability?

Sadly, we can't. Even when you explain what should be obvious - that they wouldn't run these things if they were not making a ton of money doing so - people still don't get it. Toss in some scandal like we see in the case in the OP, and it's worse. Makes you wonder.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

When the odds are that high, it no longer matters. Your chance of getting struck by lightning is no better or worse than mine.

This was also posted on Dec. 21 here.

True enough. Someone eventually wins. If I felt really lucky, I might consider a single ticket. I knew someone once that would argue about the lightning, though. Coworker I knew had been struck three times, and lived. One litte distant rumble, and that one was inside!

Star for the older thread, too. Missed that one with the holidays.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: smirkley
Having met an spoken with a big lottery winner once, I can say that every now and then, lightning does indeed strike from time to time.

I have played at Vegas, Mesquite, and Wendover before and will say I likely will again. And of course I will play lotto or other again from time to time. I just make sure it is money I can afford to lose. When the money is gone, then that is when I go home. But every now and then I come home with more than I started with.

But it isnt an investment.

That's the sensible way to play! If it's "play" money - meant for amusement - then it's not a problem. I bet on horses a couple of times, when in a place that had races. About what I'd have spent on a movie, just small bets of a couple of bucks each. When the extra money was gone, I was done. Being able to do that is something some can't manage, of course. Did have one exciting moment, when a really long shot I bet on came in second for a photo finish, about an inch behind the winner! Ah, if I'd bet to place......A win there would have meant about ten grand. Exciting few moments there!! I'd do that again, if I could afford it, and was close, just because watching the horses is fun. A buck here and there makes it more exciting. Vegas, I will do without. Not for the gambling, but for all the cameras! All that facial recognition just feels like an invasion of privacy to me. I don't mind blackjack for small bets, though. Poker, the deals never like me - so NOT my game! The hubby now, can play.

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Regardless of how small the odds, there are still winners. You MUST have a ticket in order to have a chance at winning.

Sooooo. ".....help me out Brandi, buy a ticket."

Very true! The oldest son bought one before they got a winner. Just the one, but it was such a big pot, he wanted to give it a go. Anyone wanting to donate a ticket to this poor girl is welcome! LOL!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join