It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A jackpot-rigging scandal is forgotten as Powerball fever sweeps the United States

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:37 PM
link   

The jackpot-fixing scandal that rocked the lottery organization behind Powerball has done little to hold back interest in the game.

Here’s a rundown of the scandal that has been all but forgotten in the wake of Powerball fever.

What caused suspicion

In December 2010, a man walked into a Quik Trip convenience store on Des Moines’ north side and bought what would become the winning ticket in a Hot Lotto draw with a $16.5 million jackpot, according to court documents.

The prize was unclaimed for nearly a year. In November 2011, a Canadian man contacted the Iowa Lottery claiming to be the winner. A month later, he said he was not the winner himself, but represented the anonymous winner. Later that month, a New York lawyer came forward to claim the prize for a Belize-based trust. No one involved could provide the basic details of the winner, information required by Iowa law. Eventually, the attorney withdrew the claim to the jackpot and the money went back to the states where the tickets were sold.

So what happened?

Investigators never gave up on the curious case and, three years later, released surveillance footage of a hooded man buying the winning ticket in the hopes that someone would recognize him. Several people identified him as Edward Tipton, Multi-State Lottery Association’s former security director.

Tipton was charged with fraud almost exactly one year ago, on Jan. 15, 2015. Investigators argued that Tipton was able to secure the winning ticket for himself through self-destructing software he installed on lottery computers, according to the Des Moines Register. Tipton then allegedly filtered the ticket through a friend in Texas.

Ultimately, he was found guilty of two counts of fraud last July and sentenced to 10 years in prison last September.

The investigation expands

In October, investigators alleged that Tipton also rigged a $4.8 million jackpot in Colorado in 2005 and a $2 million jackpot in Wisconsin in 2007. They have also investigated alleged rigging in Kansas and Oklahoma.

After the investigation was expanded nationwide in early October, Multi-State’s executive director Charles Strutt — who had run Powerball since it was created — was quietly placed on indefinite administrative leave, according to the Associated Press. Strutt hopes to return to the job when the Tipton case ends.

Tipton denies the allegations that he abused his position and is facing a second trial this month.

Fair play?

Despite the fixing scandal, the highly regulated games are on the level, lottery officials insist.

A Pennsylvania Lottery spokesman said his state’s lottery “has developed high-standard protocols, which are modeled by lotteries across the United States and around the globe. By aggressively protecting the integrity of drawings, players are assured the fair outcome they expect and deserve.”

“I think everyone would agree that the processes and procedures that are used to conduct these games, wherever they are, have been examined and the games are safe and secure everywhere,” Jeff Anderson, president of the Multi-State Lottery board of directors, said recently.

The next Powerball drawing will be held at 10:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday.

www.washingtonpost.com... hpid=hp_hp-cards_hp-card-national%3Ahomepage%2Fcard

Don't worry folks, I believe the Power-ball commission is being watched very closely for any misconduct.

But then you do have to wonder, hundreds of millions of numbers were played.

I do not know if any of you knew about the recent scandal with the different lotteries and some of the prosecuting that has been done.

So ATS what is your take on this Topic?

edit on 10-1-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:40 PM
link   
At least someone was winning when he rigged the games. Now it will be one point three billion dollars next drawing and nobody will win it. It might hit enough of an amount to pay off the national debt. Hmmm. Maybe that is what the plan is.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   
This will be the most scrutinized lottery ever. Someone has the potential to be a billionaire through sheer luck, no way in hell a single winner could get away with it.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Informer1958

Yes, voluntary idiot tax aside, the state should not be allowed to conduct illegal gambling activities.

Also, criminals who work for them should not be allowed to benefit from them.

Make gambling legal and forbid government from organizing predatory schemes.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

This will be the most scrutinized lottery ever. Someone has the potential to be a billionaire through sheer luck, no way in hell a single winner could get away with it.

I agree, if it is only one winner, then I believe that person back ground is going to be investigated.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Make gambling legal and forbid government from organizing predatory schemes.

I agree completely.

But then again, try and get the government to pass laws to do that.
edit on 10-1-2016 by Informer1958 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Well, I bought five ticket for the last drawing and did not come close.

I selected my own numbers. The reason I do this, is because I was thinking the other day to how many lottery computers might select the same numbers randomly across the country.

I figured if I do my own, I would have a better chance, considering the odds though.

I guess I'll be back at Quick Trip to buy another five tickets for the next drawing this Wednesday.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The smell of easy money always attracts the wiseguys. You can't separate the two.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Wasnt Gov. Ann Richards of Texas caught once also and it became hush hush too?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Well if I win and get severely investigated, all they are going to get is a big chuckle.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

All I know is that about 4-5 years ago the mega millions broke a record of 400 million or something...

Ever since then it seems these lotteries keep getting bigger and bigger. If coincidence meets convenience I start to smell the marine life.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Powerball changed their number schema a couple of times the last few years. They do that to keep the stat players fumbling around. In the end it does increase the pool of monies.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
A jackpot-rigging scandal is forgotten as Powerball fever sweeps the United StatesSo ATS what is your take on this Topic?

I think it is disgusting!
From so many different Perspectives it is a disgusting practice!
Like throwing Twinkies at starving people, and watching the 'fun'...

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Informer1958
a reply to: Vector99

I agree, if it is only one winner, then I believe that person back ground is going to be investigated.

Anyone or any organization that wins will be under a microscope, even if it's just a public one

I hope it's me!

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Well, I learned something about myself from powerball atleast. A billion dollar prize and I still won't buy a ticket on principal. I was curious if there was a price point that could get me, but now I don't think there is.
edit on 11-1-2016 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:32 AM
link   

I don't think most people who play realize how very small their chances of winning actually are. They get the money, after all, by selling a lot of losing tickets. A LOT. If someone gave me one, and it won, cool. I wouldn't buy one, though.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

I don't think most people who play realize how very small their chances of winning actually are. They get the money, after all, by selling a lot of losing tickets. A LOT. If someone gave me one, and it won, cool. I wouldn't buy one, though.

Yeah , I always say I am going to win the lottery and retire, Then people tell me I have to pay and play to win....

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Being that many people do not understand economy or responsibility, how could we reasonably expect them to understand probability?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I thought his scandal was involving scratchers or those Keno games you see on the electronic screens.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

We play occasionally when the mood strikes us. We always say our chances of actually winning are worse than being in a jumbo jet having a lava bomb from Yellowstone hit it, surviving that crash only to be simultaneously be struck by lightning and eaten by sharks. In other words, we're throwing our money away ... but someone, or several someone's will eventually win, too.

In the meantime, we can legitimately dream.

I think the radio said this morning the odds of death by hangnail are better for another perspective.
edit on 11-1-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join