It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Northern Ontario bridge fails in cold, severing Trans-Canada Highway

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Ok pushing my luck here

Earth tremar quake

bit fare but a before shock that started it

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Ok here the MMM designed a four-lane, two-span, composite-cable-stayed bridge for the Highway 11/17 Nipigon River bridge on the Trans-Canada Highway

MMM group

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Here their FaceBook page

MMM group

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

Hmmm...

Who would benefit from cutting off intra access in Canada?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   

They've done lots it seems. They sure blew it with this bridge...it should have been able to withstand any weather Canada threw at it. Or little quakes

I've read that they're getting emergency services all figured out, ambulances and air services. Some trucks will have to turn back, if the drivers cannot go into the states.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Don't think I like their first idea

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I'm not sure about the geology of the rock of the Canadian Shield, but I don't think it transmits seismic waves very far. So being that it was quite a distance away, and not too powerful of earthquakes, I don't think that would have been related.
edit on 1/10/2016 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing autocorrect error.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

Not surprising, when contracts go to firms "donating" to the Ontario Liberals....

Do you feel the same way about "firms "donating" to the Ontario Republican conservatives"?
Shall I consider every star to be a newly enlisted, or at least an old member, of your Republikkkan hate mob?
Why poison the waters?
So, ya wanna lynch 'liberals'?
Well, bruh, glad it's not the Jews, this time!
Or is it? *__-

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Yikes! It's a miracle no one was killed. What a mess! Some engineers need to be figuring out what went wrong here. new bridge, doing that, means something was done wrong, or some material was faulty or someone tampered with it. Curious to learn what hey find out. Wonder why they removed the old one so quickly.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Brand new bloody construction.

How pathetic is that ?

This is what happens when a province cuts costs by awarding construction projects to the lowest bidder.

Someone will be answering for this... I suspect a couple of engineers will be looking for a new career.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

I'm betting not.....unlike the "sue happy" USA there will be stalling, fact-finding, a "inquiry" that is drawn out until no one cares and then "maybe" a finding of fault but no substantive fines or penalties.

www.cbc.ca...

This one took forever as well.

Mike Holmes has been very vocal that there is a disconnect in building codes, plus no real consumer protections. This being an infrastructure project forget any accountability. Not like here we're acing things but we have more in place regarding failures like this plus the fines "can be" mind numbing.

Instead of political finger pointing Canadians really should push for reform on lawsuits and their legal system so when someone does shoddy work it will be the last time they do.
YMMV

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:32 AM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

The Nipigon River Bridge in northwestern Ontario is open to one lane this morning, a day after a piece of its decking lifted more than 60 centimetres.

The bridge had been shut down to traffic Sunday afternoon. On Monday morning, east-west traffic is being routed through the one open lane with the help of a pilot vehicle

I heard on the tv news that they've put in counter balances to level it for a very short term fix...hope it's safe enough for all the truck traffic...

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

I was thinking them dumping a few loads of gravel at the end of the bridge to match the two different levels could work until a time when the make the move to correct the problem . Its still hard to say what caused it to break apart as it could have been something as simple as the ground settling in a quick fashion . It may have not been the bridge its self but the road work not compacted enough or the material used was of the wrong type .

Glad to see they have at least one lane to use . Better at this time of year then at the peek season with tourist to add to the mix .

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Look like it back to one lane only for the time being

Bridge with counter weight

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

Not surprising, when contracts go to firms "donating" to the Ontario Liberals....

Do you feel the same way about "firms "donating" to the Ontario Republican conservatives"?
Shall I consider every star to be a newly enlisted, or at least an old member, of your Republikkkan hate mob?
Why poison the waters?
Or is it? *__-

You have ZERO knowledge of this issue.

Solely in order to keep power in two electoral ridings, the Ontario Liberals cancelled gas power plants at a cost of 1 BILLION DOLLARS.

1 BILLION DOLLARS in exchange for NOTHING.
Except Liberal party staying in power

Plus, Ontario still has no solution to replace the power these plants were to provide

There is no "republican" or KKK in Canada

Get help for your antisemitism, your paranoia and your abject ignorance
edit on 11-1-2016 by M5xaz because: addition

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: M5xaz

It was probably a old Harper federal project seeing it is the TCH .

NO
www.hatchmott.com...

Project by the Ontario Liberals.

Try facts instead of BS

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
a reply to: snowspirit

I was thinking them dumping a few loads of gravel at the end of the bridge to match the two different levels could work until a time when the make the move to correct the problem . Its still hard to say what caused it to break apart as it could have been something as simple as the ground settling in a quick fashion . It may have not been the bridge its self but the road work not compacted enough or the material used was of the wrong type .

Glad to see they have at least one lane to use . Better at this time of year then at the peek season with tourist to add to the mix .

This points to a fundamental issue with the bridge structure design.
"dumping a few loads of gravel" won't fix that......like putting paint on a 747 so cracks don't show....

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:32 PM
link   
ontruck.org...

As such, the association (Ontario Ministry of Transportation) has contacted USCBP and the Government of Canada to consider temporarily allowing paper in transits without value for the purposes of an emergency contingency. OTA and CTA will apprise members on its discussions with both US, Canadian and provincial authorities on contingency options going forward.

I wonder what we export out of eastern Canada, from the west side of the country? Or vice versa.
Imagine telling the countries expecting their goods, that they'll be late, because one bridge broke....

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

Why poison the waters?
Or is it? *__-

You have ZERO knowledge of this issue.

Hence my question.
I saw half an argument, using common 'Republikkkan' hate speak, so I naturally inquired into the other 'half', unexpressed.

Get help for your antisemitism, your paranoia and your abject ignorance

Feel free to bite me.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join