It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk about a close call!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Flying hot glass is even worse. I've experienced this exact incident and took awhile to clean up. I sympathize!

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose
Yes it is. Not only do you get cut but there's the joy of getting burned, too.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I had older pyrex do this when microwaves came out in the 80s. It was explained at the time that some units had been cast with tiny air bubbles that burst in the unit and blew the door open making a big mess. Pyrex paid for the damages and sent me new cookware. Nobody hurt but it really rattles my girls when it happened. My best,

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: airforce47
I'm glad that they paid for damages. The cookware must have been a nice bonus. How bad did it mess up the microwave?

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Wow, glad she wasn't hurt! Has to have been some crack, or a flaw in the dish. Either way, contacting the company is not a bad idea, so they can check for any issues in manufacturing, at the least. Most likely a small crack, but who knows? Weird things happen. Still remember RC Cola bottles that had "exploding" caps. The old glass ones, large size, with the wider metal lids. We had more than one have the top just blow off; sometimes as you'd go to open it, and they shot off hard. Had a welt on my chin from one, and one shredded and cut my mom's hand. In that case, the company refused to do anything, and lost our business. Some bottling issue, I am sure, but a good company will research that sort of thing.

Never heard of Pyrex doing that. Freaky.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Most informative, thankyou.

Quartz won't shatter regardless of oven temperature. Is stone…

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I had the exact same thing happen several years ago with a Pyrex casserole dish.

Luckily it blew up in the oven when the door was closed... and yes it also blew up like a friggin bomb, glass shards everywhere (left some dent marks in the sides of my oven).

Since then, I've only used ceramic casserole dishes. If ceramic breaks it will only crack and split apart. I'm assuming the explosion with the Pyrex has something to do with the way the glass is pressure heated when it's made ?

Anyways, not willing to take that chance again... so ceramic it is.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Wow. Now I know what not to do with my pyrex cookware. Glad to know you were unharmed OP.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This reminds me of the time I shared an apartment with a complete eejit.

He put some water in a similar dish to the one you describe and put it on the hot ring on the stove to heat up - about two feet away from where I was standing, back turned, washing dishes.

Yes, there was a loud explosion and flying shards - all of which, somehow, managed to miss me. The base of the dish stayed put on the hot ring.

I can't remember what I said at the time, but I probably couldn't repeat it here anyway

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes
It's an old dish. She just pitched it.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
Ceramic it is then! I'd rather have something that just cracks rather than explodes.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: berenike
You are so lucky! I bet you invented some colorful words. I bet his ears burned like hell after, too.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I remember this same problem from few years back:

Exploding Pyrex Solved

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Foundryman
That was an interesting read. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I went through a faze when i was 7 of experimenting with my grandmothers pyrex cups and dishes ,

We had a 1950s American fridge freezer that got stupid cold in the little freezer box part

I would boil hot water in a huge pan she used for soup then take tongs that were for a twin tub washer and hide behind the cupboard door next to the cooker and drop them in

How i made it to adult hood god only knows , then came the pipe bombs about 8 years of age and all the destroyed windows in the back of 6 houses which cost my folks about 7 weeks wages .

Yip think big i used a piece of metal downpipe / jesus was i a problem kid

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam
Wow. I'm laughing here just picturing it. I mean, talk about a recipe for disaster. Here's this kid exploding pyrex stuff. You are so lucky to be alive. Your parents probably went grey early.
ETA: I just reread and saw the bit about blowing windows out. You really were a problem child lol.
edit on 13-1-2016 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Sticking wires in sockets , getting in washing machines , and trying to get in bin chutes in a tower block were just some of the crazy things i did as a kid .

No wonder i did not want any of my own ,My folks could not handle me when i was young writing this is like therapy
i got shipped out to live with my grandparents .

Boy was i hard work

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Oh, let the grandparents deal with you. I bet they enjoyed it lol.

posted on Jan, 14 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Oh, let the grandparents deal with you. I bet they enjoyed it lol.

My grandfather never had a son just 2 girls so he took me under his wing and calmed me down eventually .

I am shocked i have made it to middle age i was that fearless & stupid as a child

posted on Jan, 19 2016 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes
It's an old dish. She just pitched it.

Ah, well, old enough, likely a stress fracture too small to see! I had a cake plate base break in half on me, from just barely touching the sink edge. At least no one was hurt! Kitchen incidents like that can be painful.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join