It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here's what's going on with me.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If you check out Sleep paralysis, you will find that the Inccubi/Sucubbi is just medieval interpretations of something they could not scientifically explain back then. I actually had this happen to me today for the first time in my life and it was actually quite frightening. I basically was having a bad dream, and realized I was, and then forced myself to wake out of the dream. By making myself wake straight up outta REM sleep I caused a sleep paralysis event to occur. I was lying almost prone, so I could not see anything in the room, but I had the distinct sensation that there was someone in the room with me, and even recall hearing them and some other indescribable sound. When I tried to get up, I felt like someone’s hands where pushing me down against the bed, and could physically feel them pushing me down. I realized what was happening and within a minute or so it wore off and everything was fine.

I work as a polysomnographer (sleep tech), and have dealt with people with this problem for years, but it has never happened to me before, and all I can say now that it has is:
1) It was extremely freighting at first.
2) It was shocking how realistic that it felt.
3) I’ll pass on it happening again.
4) I am going to be more sympathetic to my patients that complain of this.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I think you just described most of the symptoms that I experienced.

Do you know of the "Natural" Causes of this and the remedy?
Thanks again.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Sleep paralysis falls under the category of a parasomnia. Basically that means it is not something that is often seen in a sleep lab because it does not happen consistently. I am not an expert on the subject because of this, in my lab we mainly deal with sleep apnea. I will look up the specifics later today for you and repost.

In a nut shell though what happens when you sleep is that you have 5 stages. Stage one through four and REM. Stage three and four go away with age, they are slow wave sleep and generally have to do with growth and healing. Stage one is somewhere between awake and asleep. Stage two is where most people spend about 70% of the night. REM is the remainder, and the most important. It is believed that REM is when a person transfers short term memory to long term, and it is a fact that this is the stage in which you have logical (story like) dreams. During this stage of sleep your brain becomes active, almost like when awake. We watch muscle tone and eye movements to help us identify REM from awake. Your brain emits a chemical that paralyses your nonessential muscles when in REM. If it did not do this you would act out your dreams. People that have REM disorder do exactly that, they jump around walk etc in their sleep.

So the point I am making is that sleep paralysis occurs when you wake from REM and that chemical does not wear off in time. You could wake due to apnea, because the relaxation in your muscles causes your airway to collapse (causing you to choke, hence the panic attacks), it can be due to nocturnal seizures, or due to drugs that you are prescribed. If it is drugs, then your doctor has to modify what you are taking. If seizures, then he has to prescribe you something to stop them, and if due to apnea then we fix that with a CPAP (constant positive airway pressure) machine that keeps your airway open.

You are going to have to have a sleep study done to figure out what is going on with you specifically. Your primary doctor should be able to refer you to a sleep lab to check this. Just tell him that you suspect you have either apnea or sleep paralysis, and he should know somewhere to send you, if not u2u me.

Some other good signs of apnea are waking with a dry mouth or a headache, snoring, and waking at about the same time every night. A normal person that lives a normal nine to five kind of life will go into REM around 12, then again around 3, and once more between 5 and 6:30. If you consistently wake up at like 3 or 3:30 to use the restroom, or always wake before your alarm clock goes off, then chances are this is what is going on.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
hey when i started reading about your experience....for one i thought paranormal...but as i read on you kept menchining being strangled in your sleep and waking up screaming..........i dont know if this is a correct guess but what it seemed to me is that maybe(if you believe in this) you could have been re-encarnated and coudl have been reenacting your death(being strangled) during your sleep...and the dismembered face would be consistant because you might only kno how you died...and normally while being strangled ur vision becomes blurred....so maybe you could have been re seeing what you saw when you previously died...and also since its not clear on memory...it woudlnt be clear in your mind so it was all blurry anyway...get that?....sry if thsi doesnt make sence or just wasted ur time but i tired as hard as i coudl to help you....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join