It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calcium Supplements, What's the Verdict

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I actually have done a lot of research on the subject and usually read very good research articles but I only save summaries like the links that I supplied because people can understand them. The content of those articles is pretty accurate. The calcium one I supplied is actually pretty true, I have read hundreds of research articles on calcium to see how it is used in the body. But sometimes an article comes along that is simple and actually pretty accurate and I save those because most people can't properly read scientific research articles, including many professionals who read them trying to find things that reinforce their beliefs and ignoring things that go against their beliefs.

We need calcium but it needs to be balanced in the body with other chemistries and taking many supplements can unbalance things. Antacids are also a problem for many. Most times, people who think they have too much stomach acid have too little stomach acid and can't tell because the symptoms are almost the same. A simple test using baking soda and water can tell you if you have too little or too much acid.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Good topic as the link to heart problems (etc) was fairly big news in the alt med world that too few saw... I know a few folks who chewed Tums like candy and left this realm a tad early due to heart failure...

and yeah, vit k and d3 are good to process calcium...

also, don't forget the links between too little vit c and heart disease ... Linus Pauling thought most heart disease was non-acute scurvy and experience points to him being on to something...

but basically, a balanced diet and some sun should keep one's body humming without a slew of supplements... though eating correctly is expensive, now, and a daily multi vit with minerals is just a good idea...

though the one vit a healthy person should supplement to stay that way is vit c... we simply cannot get enough through diet these days and again, despite the chuckles, experience as well as voluminous science supports this idea ... I learned a lot at www.vitamincfoundtion.org and they seem to try to keep it scientific, unlike some other alt med sites.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

If you concern is bone health home made stock is a good start.

I posted that so that I could come back and give you a link to a wonderful blog on bone health but can't find off hand.

Another book (about Brain Health) is "Grain Brain" by Perlmutter. A great companion to "Wheat Belly"

I've never been a big calcium person as I 'forced' calcium (pasteurized dairy products) during my pregnancy to reach "suggested levels of intake" and my daughter turned out to be horribly allergic to dairy proteins and we had to remove all dairy (except goat) from our diets for almost 10 years until she outgrew the worst of it. So much for 'dietary guidelines' - my consumption during her development may not have been at fault but it's a good bet.

I've heard somewhere that calcium supplements can cause 'micro-bleeds' in the gut. I'll find that blog for you....

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

There are products out there now....for those who cannot do their own stock/soups....called "Bone stock"....I saw it for the first time in a health food store near me
nourishedkitchen.com...

If you find that link to the 'micro-bleeds', that would be fantastic.....as I am finding out more and more that gut health is of the utmost importance in overall health...
I cannot tell you how much better I feel since giving up gluten....both stomach-wise and in general.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   

"If you concern is bone health home made stock is a good start."

I think I read that recently. A good bone broth. Made from marrow bones and veggies.
I'm quite sure that I read it on Dr Mercola's site.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, that is what I really want....the ability to find the unbiased results of the research.
My head started to spin as I went through the links looking for whether or not calcium alone.....or with complimentaries such as D3, K2 and magnesium, was safe.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Yeah, that is what I really want....the ability to find the unbiased results of the research.
My head started to spin as I went through the links looking for whether or not calcium alone.....or with complimentaries such as D3, K2 and magnesium, was safe.

If you are going to take calcium, only take a smaller supplement, under a hundred percent RDA. The best one I found in my research at a reasonable cost was Calcium Citrate. The other forms seem to have too many side effects. I am sure there are expensive forms that are probably ok, I have not researched those. It isn't worth researching them because nobody I know will be buying that expensive of a supplement.

My viewpoint is that we get enough calcium in the diet alreaddy if we eat half way decent of a diet. If a person really has high stomach acid, then maybe it would be reasonable to take one Milk is actually a very good antidote for a lot of things. It is not that good of a nutritional food because of some of it's chemistry.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

"If you concern is bone health home made stock is a good start."

I think I read that recently. A good bone broth. Made from marrow bones and veggies.
I'm quite sure that I read it on Dr Mercola's site.

It tastes really good too. I have made it many times. I don't use the vinegar myself.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I've gotten that....and might consider this as well...instead of taking a full dose, which is often 4 capsules....I'd be taking just the one capsule.
www.nowfoods.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   

I've gotten that....and might consider this as well...instead of taking a full dose, which is often 4 capsules....I'd be taking just the one capsule.
www.nowfoods.com...

That kind of sounds like bone soup in a pill

Here is something to read. Hypercalcemia can occur in older people because the body starts to absorb more which can lead to more brittle bones and other problems. Checking blood calcium levels is important. www.clevelandclinicmeded.com...

If I take calcium supplements I start to get knobs on my bones. My brother had his back to hip build up a v shaped area of bone because he took calcium supplements for over a year. We both have spondylitis genes though, so we take up a lot of calcium and save it like a chipmunk saves nuts. His ankylosing spondylitis went into remission after quitting the calcium. My bone knobs also disappeared in a couple of years. I warned him but he did not listen. But our genetics are not all that common. I really felt good on the calcium until those knobs appeared all over the place.
edit on 10-1-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Yeah....I kinda like the mix....and it sounds safer than other options.

That's the thing about supplements.
Short term, I have been very successful treating acute situations.
Long term, it's a bit more of a crap shoot.
I rely heavily on this popular book on nutritional healing by Balch. So, I am not doing this blindly or by internet search for the supplement du jour.

I tried several supplements that were supposed to help arthritis....no good, any of them....but quitting wheat got rid of all symptoms. Trial and error. LOL

That is scary about your experiences with calcium.
And it goes to show you have to be really aware of your body when self-treating.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

If you give up wheat, you may still need to use yeast because it has a good form of Folate in it. It contains methyl folate. But it is important to take enough B12 if you do this or take folate supplements. Methylcobalamin is the kind of B12 that is better. This helps with problems in the methyl cycle and the methyl cycle is synergetic with the thyroid function. There is also a hydroxocobalamin that some people need, I am not sure if I spelled that right though.

When people get older the methyl cycle can get weakened and this leads to many problems. Here is a link to a little about problems in the methyl cycle, but only around twenty five percent of people have problems with this. The 667 is common in some southern Europeans and the Hispanic people. Only one copy of that can lower enzymes leading to problems listed on the page. The 1298 needs two copies and is more evident in northern Europeans. That only reduces folate metabolism about thirty percent if two copies is present which I have two copies of the 1298. There are some corrective genes I have but for some reason changing my diet made them not work right. I can return back to having all kinds of energy by quitting a supplement but then I can't study and have to go go go so I am trying to find chemistry to make it so I can have the best of both worlds.

Bread is bad for arthritis, my sister had RA really bad and she liked bread and milk. We knew that, my dad used to tell us not to eat too much bread or you will get impacted like a cow. Now, he did not know why it happened, I am starting to understand how now, but he knew it would happen. Milk is actually bad for arthritis too from some of the research I have read. It did not address calcium supplements though. But think about arthritis, it is a buildup of calcium that causes the disorder, bread is very high in calcium. Look at the nutrition information when you are at the store. Remember, the calcium in bread is much more bioavailable than the calcium in milk.

Hard water actually makes RA symptoms a little better even though it usually contains calcium. They still don't know why but know there is less heart disease in hard water areas and also less severely to arthritis. Our water is just about in the middle here, not hard and not soft.

In our genetics I see a lot of RA genes yet I don't get too much of the symptoms. I try not to eat too much breads and pastas and only drink milk occasionally.

Oops, forgot the link
www.mindmeister.com...
edit on 11-1-2016 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 12:33 PM
link   

I think the arthritis I had was of the OA variety...and it manifested in my thumbs.

I don't totally understand your post about the methyl cycle...a bit over my understanding.
But....what else would contain yeast? I really cannot tolerate wheat....and used to love bread....and pasta.
I've done low carb off and on for years....so often went without much bread and wheat products.

I do take a vitamin B-100 complex everyday.
FWIW.
And come from Eastern Europe.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Look for a B complex with the folate instead of folic acid. Also the type of B12 should be methylcobalamin. Here is an example. www.mynaturalmarket.com...

The folate is actually quatrefolic which is natural because it has the (6). It contains the methylcobalamin instead of cyanocabalin too.. It is also cheap. As long as it says real folate it is ok, not folic acid.

When you quit the bread, you got rid of the synthetic folic acid which does work to control a buildup of homocysteine but it doesn't get rid of some of the other problems that real folate can get rid of. The active dry yeast in the bread does supply a little more active B12 to the bread which is better than the cyanocobalamin added by enrichment.

You can buy nutritional yeast and it is pretty tasty when sprinkled on a salad or sprinkled on popcorn.

Now when taking any folate supplement it is important to take adequate B12 and as you get older many people lose the ability to take up b12 through the gut. I have a b12 spray that tastes like a mouth full of berries. I am trying the combo now with good results. If you don't take enough B12 with folate, you can get anemic so you have to watch out.

Methyl folate is found in dark green leafy veggies and also in liver. It is needed for making white and red blood cells, restricting the active forms leads to less of these being made. Folic acid does not do this. The meds I took for the Epilepsy block the folate cycle which weakens signals in the brain. That is why I had so much problem with the meds, my methyl cycle was already low.

I may be overwhelming you, it took me over six months of research to be able to comprehend this stuff. I kept thinking the bread enrichment had to be good but after readings hundreds of research articles that varified it wasn't I kind of accepted that the people saying it is safe are sociopaths that won't even consider that they are causing problems for many people.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Okay....so if a formula has Cyanocobalamin...it should be avoided?
As far as a spray goes....I think I need to avoid that as I had an allergic reaction to a b12 shot as a teen.

I'll look into nutritional yeast.....I can add it to my yogurt in the morning

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Okay....so if a formula has Cyanocobalamin...it should be avoided?
As far as a spray goes....I think I need to avoid that as I had an allergic reaction to a b12 shot as a teen.

I'll look into nutritional yeast.....I can add it to my yogurt in the morning

Cyanocobalamin turns to cyanide and cobalamin when it hits the gut. The cyanide compound formed actually hyperactivates cells and the thyroid but in the thyroid actually binds where iodine is supposed to bind. It won't poison you but it adds to your cyanide content of the body. Onions will take care of that.

The B complex you take would have B12 in it. What form is the issue. Methyl B12 doesn't give you the burst of energy because it doesn't contain the cyanide. Usually your body makes isothiocyanate out of the cyanide and that is usually what attaches to the thyroid. Same stuff that is in broccoli. But broccoli actually excites the thyroid and dampens folate cycles in the body so it is about neutral for energy. It is a cruciferous veggie utilizing sort of a valium like chemistry like asparagus has. Cooking it usually takes away some of the bad cruciferous veggies have.

Cyanocobalamin isn't really bad, but it also is not really good to take it every day. You got to give your body time to recover. Some of those B12 supplements are pretty big. If you want energy, cyanocobalamin will do that but if you want healing increased take methylcobalamin. Iodine actually moderates thyroid activity and consuming things that upset that balance all the time can be bad.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Well, it was time to buy a new bottle of "B"....so I think I'll go with the Jarrow formula you link..

As far as the reaction, the shot likely had lots more b-12 than any supplement would have...and from what I read a couple hours ago, most shots are the cyanide form of b-12....and the reaction makes sense in light of what you just said.

I really appreciate all this info...as I am interested in the best possible supplements to take, for the least money.
And also paring the dosage and number of pills.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I never even looked at the dose in the one I linked to you. I know the folate was a hundred percent and the right kind and the B12 was the right type of b12. But what the amount of b12 was I don't really know.

The b12 shots are supposed to be time released but that doesn't always work right. What they put in them to slow release kind of scares me since it is not listed.

I tell people possible solutions but do not actually try to convince them to do anything. I can't take most multivitamins myself, I am not sure why. I start to swell up if I take them all the time. Something in them is causing it, it could even be an inert ingredient. I have had good luck with the Jarrow stuff though. The company seems to have some pretty good products but they are a tad bit more than some other brands.

I'm thinking about trying a b complex and researched about twelve types and Jarrow was the cheapest of the better bioavailable types.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I use Jarrow and NOW, and a few other companies [Standard Process is one].....but my problem is in knowing about the bio-availability of ingredients.....I'm not too aware on that part.
I do searches for "best absorbed" when it is a single thing like selenium....but never thought about the multi ingredient issue...thanks.

For example, I tried to find a fair multi-mineral that won't break the bank....and came up with this one.....
www.sourcenaturals.com...
I only take one per day.

Were b-12 shots time released in the early 70s?????
The reaction came pretty darn fast....

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
That's not a bad multimineral tablet. It could use a tad bit more copper though. We get our vitamins through vitacost, free shipping over fifty bucks and sometimes there are specials. www.vitacost.com... How does the price compare to where you get yours from?

I use the twin labs multimineral caps from there, they have a different profile. I also take the allergy research mineral cap with higher levels of certain minerals like molybdenum and selenium when I want a super boost.

They have a big variety there and they seem reasonable, especially when you get a special with ten percent more off over a hundred dollar order. We buy our coconut oil, wheat germ, and barley flour and other things from there, it is cheaper than local. That way when we order we can get over fifty bucks easy.

I buy a lot of things just to see how they make me feel then I stick the bottle in a box after evaluating it. I got some alchemy books for christmas one year and I read a lot of articles. I hinted for the alchemy books. It was a good learning experience, I found out that we need to assess how everything effects us both mentally and physically and studied the long term effects of hundreds of food chemistries from that.

I started three new classes this week, I am feathering in ten more over the next month. I will have about eight running at the same time for the next three months. I'll take free classes. Lots of good ones too, most have to do with nutrition and healthcare. www.futurelearn.com... I like free, I do not need a bunch of certificates hanging on my wall that cost money, if I did, they give them for a price but I like free better. I might be a little overloaded in about a month when there is a two week overlap and I will be taking about ten classes. I forgot about the trick questions in the exams, it has been around thirty seven years since I was in college.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join