It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands more bodies discovered (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Twelve days after the tsumami struck in the Indian Ocean, bodies are being discovered by the thousands. Many thousand more may never be found, having been swept out to sea.

www.thestar.com
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia - UN Secretary General Kofi Annan described the devastation on tsunami-battered Sumatra island today as the worst he's ever seen, and authorities raised Indonesia's death toll by 7,000, bringing the overall total killed by the disaster to more than 147,000.
Twelve days after the tsunami hit, Annan and World Bank President James Wolfensohn flew over the island's west coast and later drove around the shattered coastal town of Meulaboh, where families picked through piles of rubble two metres high.

"I have never seen such utter destruction mile after mile," a shaken Annan told reporters. "You wonder where are the people? What has happened to them?"

Hardest hit was Sumatra, which was closest to the epicentre of the 9.0-magnitude quake and where officials today counted about 7,000 additional bodies - mostly in Meulaboh, which had been cut off by washed-out roads - raising Indonesia's toll to 101,318.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think we need to make efforts to keep these stories at the forefront. It is so very tragic.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
i saw this story first on yahoo and it was 4000. i went back on there about an hour later and it changed to 7000. also theres supposed to only be 50 english tourists who died, and over 150 missing. tonight theres a special on channel 4 and now they believe around 400 english tourists dead. also some remote places haven't been reached by aid yet, so surely those places haven't been accounted for in the death toll? i expect it to rise above 200,000, because the people that are missing are people that are unaccounted for hence not seen since before the tsunami-quake.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I know, it is so horrible. They're saying over 101,000 dead in Indonesia alone. The final tally is going to be devastating, but we won't know for a while yet. Those poor people, left with less than nothing in most instances. Makes me realize how lucky we are, safe and sound with rooves over our heads and food on the table.

MBF

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I wonder if the numbers given are actual bodies that have been counted or just an estimate of missing. If the count is just bodies then the actual number of dead could be many more because huge numbers of people were washed out to sea and will never be found.

top topics

join