It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Political Correctness is Going to Destroy US

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

PC is awekening far-right elements by pushing moderates towards them. Most charges of racism and bigotry are insincere. And when these real racists and bigots come and show real racism and bigotry, no one is going to take the cries for help seriously.

Are you saying language has power? Can it cause damage?

Are people, far right or otherwise not responsible for their choices or actions?

If somebody does something wrong - are they going to be able to say - but the PC people made me?

You will be on the wrong side of history if you do, friend.

By saying things?

You yourself have always argued that words are impotent. Then you argue for freedom of speech...but not for everyone? Or only speech you approve of?
edit on 1/9/2016 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Have you tried thinking about it from this perspective:

I did grow up in a small town where there were very few blacks. In fact, we had one black girl on our track team, but she was one of us and no one thought anything of it.

I went on to run at college as a sprinter and as such roomed mostly with black girls. So what?

Now, with PC and white privilege cropping up everywhere, I find it really hard to maintain that attitude because the idea permeates everything that even if I'm not racist, I am, just because I'm white. How do you combat that mind eff? It never used to matter to me and now it's starting to and I hate that, but I can't help it. I don't care, but a black person might.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Now, with PC and white privilege cropping up everywhere, I find it really hard to maintain that attitude because the idea permeates everything that even if I'm not racist, I am, just because I'm white. How do you combat that mind eff? It never used to matter to me and now it's starting to and I hate that, but I can't help it. I don't care, but a black person might.

Then that's on you. Take responsibility for your own beliefs - you don't get to say now I'm a racist because you made me

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Funny thread! I want to take part in it:

In my former life I have been an asshole, but now I am an idiot!

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Did I say I was racist?

Nope.

I pretty clearly said I never used to think others cared about race. I didn't care about race. Now because society seems to care so much about race, I get to find out I was naïve and I have to start caring by default because others apparently do.

If that's what you think of as "racism," it says more about you than me.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Have you tried thinking about it from this perspective:

I did grow up in a small town where there were very few blacks. In fact, we had one black girl on our track team, but she was one of us and no one thought anything of it.

I went on to run at college as a sprinter and as such roomed mostly with black girls. So what?

I don't see that just because one is white that they are racist. On both sides there are extremists.

I have not felt that I was ever perceived as racist just because I am white.
edit on 9-1-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

I have never felt I had to 'combat it'.

You shouldn't either.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

You will be on the wrong side of history if you do, friend.

PC is awekening far-right elements by pushing moderates towards them. Most charges of racism and bigotry are insincere. And when these real racists and bigots come and show real racism and bigotry, no one is going to take the cries for help seriously.

I disagree. We all know what real racism is. When we see it, we stamp it out.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:10 PM
link   
An example of that is 20 years if a man dressed up in womens cloths and had something surgically removed, it was seen that they needed professional help. Today when they do that they are applauded as a hero and get their own TV show.
That is 2016 PC.

PC has gone from just being decent to one another, to defending/advocating all types of insanity, those rapes being hidden are another example.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sorry, just reread

I don't understand how political correctness can change your core values

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
An example of that is 20 years if a man dressed up in womens cloths and had something surgically removed, it was seen that they needed professional help. Today when they do that they are applauded as a hero and get their own TV show.
That is 2016 PC.

PC has gone from just being decent to one another, to defending/advocating all types of insanity, those rapes being hidden are another example.

Only one was particularly pointed out as a 'hero', though I don't give that name, because they are a celebrity. On top of that, an Olympic athlete. Not every single person that changes genders is widely publicized as anything.

He had already been in the 'reality TV circuit' before that.

A 'kardashian' family member doing that was bound to be in the spotlight. Heck, they are in the spotlight for a photoshopped pic of a champagne bottle balanced on their azz.

In general, changing genders is NOT insanity.

Since we talk openly about rapes being bad no matter where and we see the problem in Cologne, it is OBVIOUSLY not hidden.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Good to know that you are out there. Somebody has to fight for our Byzantinian border.
edit on 9-1-2016 by Siddharta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Siddharta

originally posted by: reldra

Good to know that you are out there. Somebody has to foght for our Byzantinian border.

Pardon?

(pardon is from me, it is outside the quote brackets, but ATS has been doing this off and on all day).

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

I wasn't picking on you in particular

As for the ignorance bit, we are all ignorant of most things. Given that fact, I would say that forgiving ignorance is perfectly reasonable, so long as there exists a drive to escape that ignorance as much as possible. Willful ignorance is never forgivable

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   

^^^^ That is what bugs me!

The word *privilege* is only ever used with white .... never black, even

when sometimes to make more intergration a black person may get a position

or job over a white person who has slightly better qualifications, just to even

out any ratio discrepancies in a work place.

Now that is what I would call *black privilege* but it seems there is no such

thing

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

I wasn't picking on you in particular

As for the ignorance bit, we are all ignorant of most things. Given that fact, I would say that forgiving ignorance is perfectly reasonable, so long as there exists a drive to escape that ignorance as much as possible. Willful ignorance is never forgivable

I know you wouldn't pick on me

I agree. I have thought it over. Forgiving ignorance is ok. Escaping it is best. ut we know to not DENY it

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Seems like Political Correctness is the new boogeyman for the right wing, even if they don't know what it actually means. Political correctness is being used as a brush to smear anything that goes against Right wing ideas.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

^^^^ That is what bugs me!

The word *privilege* is only ever used with white .... never black, even

when sometimes to make more intergration a black person may get a position

or job over a white person who has slightly better qualifications, just to even

out any ratio discrepancies in a work place.

Now that is what I would call *black privilege* but it seems there is no such

thing

You have just coined the term "Black Privilege". How do you feel about that?

Your name is a bit..uhh...ethnic...should we trust you?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   
The issue with PC is, as I see it, primarily an issue with how it is perceived. The wife-beaters and bible-thumpers view it as a roadblock to them holding their racist, bigoted, and sexist values up for the world to see. The more average people like myself view what constitutes PC as "not being an asshole." The uber-left see it as never making a reference to ethnicity or religion in a negative light, ever.

There is a difference between being PC, and being civil and/or courteous. I think the OVER-exaggeration of it is a bad thing, but that issue is aided by the people complaining about it and failing to make the distinction.
edit on 9/1/2016 by Eilasvaleleyn because: Reasons

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eilasvaleleyn
The issue with PC is, as I see it, primarily an issue with how it is perceived. The wife-beaters and bible-thumpers view it as a roadblock to them holding their racist, bigoted, and sexist values up for the world to see. The more average people like myself view what constitutes PC as "not being an asshole." The uber-left see it as never making a reference to ethnicity or religion in a negative light, ever.

Well, I am between average and 'uber left' then. Not a bad description.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra Yes i see, they have problems. But it is funny that you use them for your advantage.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join