It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul LePage Insists His Drug Remarks Weren't Racist Because 'Maine Is Essentially All White'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Speech is free, but not without consequence.

We've all heard that Orwellian cliché often enough. Except it's the first step towards justifying authoritarianism. Freedom of speech is exactly freedom from consequences. Anything else is not free speech.

Well, you can call me a #ing asshole. And I can punch you in the mouth. That's not Orwellian...that is a simple consequence.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

We've all heard that Orwellian cliché often enough. Except it's the first step towards justifying authoritarianism. Freedom of speech is exactly freedom from consequences. Anything else is not free speech.

Well, you can call me a #ing asshole. And I can punch you in the mouth. That's not Orwellian...that is a simple consequence.

No that's called assault its not self defense to punch someone who didn't harm you physically

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   

That's not the consequence of me calling you an a-hole; that's the consequence of you being one.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:08 PM
link   

That's not the consequence of me calling you an a-hole; that's the consequence of you being one.

Then I suggest that you walk into a free speech forum and try it out. The more invested the group, the better. Call it a social experiment. Get back to us on that, eh?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Then I suggest that you walk into a free speech forum and try it out. The more invested the group, the better. Call it a social experiment. Get back to us on that, eh?

Threats of violence and coercion for something someone said. That's not Orwellian at all.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:04 PM
link   
KNOCK IT OFF

This bickering is to stop immediately. If it doesn't post bans will be handed out.

Do not reply to this post.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

originally posted by: TinySickTears
did he mention race of the people coming from connecticut?
he mentioned getting a white girl pregnant.
well, people of any color can get a white girl prego.
people of any color can be called g money

what is the problem

No, he hasn't said so far as I know. Because of the 'drug connection" I have made the assumption he is referring to those of the Mexican persuasion.

Lol what?

Your assumption is pretty prejudiced.
edit on 9-1-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 05:09 PM
link   

ahahahah.
nice man
you are quickly becoming one of my fav members and your name is the balls

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I don't see the issue, he made a remark very publicly, that many agree with, and many do not. Surely if if it unpopular he WILL lose his job, as some people want, and if it is a popular view, he WILL NOT.

What is the issue? If he is a racist, sure that sucks, but its not a crime.

I abhor the 'PC is killing us' crowd, but damn, I have to agree. Even if they will still call me a PC leftist yada yada.

The only problem I see with his statement is that he was not clear, does he mean young black men, Mexicans, people with funky names, Black Tar People, veterans?
If you think black people are bringing drug dealing to your neighbourhood then surely its reasonable to point it out? The same applies to the (rather nasty) comment about younger women being impregnated.
He MAY not like it because he has views that races should not mix, but could he also have the view that preventing a rise in single parent families is a good thing?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join