It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Man Sues Reality TV show for $2.5 Million over Rat-eating Episode

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I used to watch Fear Factor until recently. That show is garbage. I don't blame the man for suing them. I've seen the most disgusting stuff on earth on that show. It was their "best of" show that made me turn them off for good. I don't know if it was people getting progressively larger needles stuck through parts of their arms that did it... perhaps being burried in scorpions.... maybe it was the bobbing for rings in a tub of cow blood that did it. The material is completely inappropriate for public tv. WTF. Drinking 8 ounce cups of blended bugs. Just wrong. Absolutely wrong!

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
You know....
i agree that fear factor is a terrible show for anyone to watch, due to its desensitizing effect... I think it is important to not be desensitized....
it is so gross that I did a very rash thing

I changed the channel....... and it is just so amazing how little fear factor affects me now....

reality TV is reaching its end, just like jerry springer eventually got boring to the US public, so too shall this pass....

I just hope they put more SCI FI shows on.... (good ol thought provoking aliens and robots mmmmm)

It is amazing that people complain about a show that they continue to watch...

ts a little button just left of the power button... it says Up or down on it... your supposed to push it...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazarusTheLong

I just hope they put more SCI FI shows on.... (good ol thought provoking aliens and robots mmmmm)

I am with you. I love Sci Fi shows they are far more entertaining then reality shows.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpeake

I do have a 1 yr old son, and you're right, I'd be upset at him if he picked up a dead rat and tried to eat it after watching that show...but, I wouldn't be as upset at the show as I would myself for raising a kid who is dumb enough, or disobedient enough to pull such a stupid move.

This is exactly how I feel as well, be it a 1 year old child or an 16 year old who just got his driver's licence. I expect to be a better parent than a television set, which seems to be the standard now-a-days.

As for this grown man, he could have turned it off, looked away, read a book instead of watch television, gone web surfing, any number of things instead of sit there and be offended.

I've seen some horrible things (go read about the first felony animal abuse case in Japan). I knew when to look away and I knew the only person to blame for seeing that was myself because I believe in personal responsibility.

Peronally, I hate Fear Factor because it's stupid and pointless. How am I avoiding it? I mean, it's there every week!! I don't watch it. "I'm doing my part!"

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Peronally, I hate Fear Factor because it's stupid and pointless. How am I avoiding it? I mean, it's there every week!! I don't watch it. "I'm doing my part!"

EXACTLY!
Not watching it is sending more of a message than suing the network could ever do.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Well, to me, I like the show. Not saying I am unintelligent or anything, i just like to see what peopel would do for money and I ask myself could I do that. I have been around the world and been many places and have ate many different dishes, about 1/2 if not more of what they have shown on the show.

Overall this guy is just another crackpot scoring a buck by manipulating and abusing the system, sort of like the McD's gig about a year ago. Its a waste of time, courts time, judicial systems time, when the system should be putting actual criminals away instead of wasting time on someone who is so lazy that they couldnt even turn the channel. All the warnings are there when you watch the show.

And Fear Factor will die off, there isnt much more you can things you can eat or stunts to do, they have been done pretty much. If you dont like it, dont watch it...to each is own, but to abuse the system of BS, whatever...heck I was in the military, I had an abusive 10yrs in, I didnt have many friends, now my life is all ruined, I have no social life, I am forever mentally scarred, ALL BS! I volunteered and I re-enlisted, catch my point? Dont see me running to a lawyers office trying to score a buck so I dont have to work a min. wage job cause my rear was in jail and cant get anything better. I hope they counter sue his rear. I betcha he sits there every week watching the show and if that makes him sick, why isnt he suing CNN and other news networks for showing dead mangled waterlogged bodies from the Tsunami????

Just my thoughts...

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:24 PM
link   
DUMPSTER DIVE
pig uterus and cow stomach

Whoa, wait a second there, I actually eat that stuff for dinner. I've also eaten cow brians, heart, kidney, intestines, bladder, utters, tounge, and all the other good meat. I must agree some things are disgusting, but I mean, some girl was gagging on cow brain! That stuff is GOOD.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Uh.... IDK if anyone realised this, but EVERYTHING they eat on the show isn't disgusting, most of it is considered a delicacy, and the non-delicacy stuff is edible and tastes good. Bugs? High in protein, chocolat covered grasshoppers, regular grasshopper, crickets, mmmmm, maggots cheese, that stuff is a DELICACY! The cheese is extra soft after the maggots have digested it. hell, had a show on TLC all about strange foods, one was Maggot Cheese. It isn't disgusting, why people think it is is beyond me. I could eat that stuff, but the stunts.... no, most of those would stop me, I have a fear of heights, no airplane, tall buildings, doing work on a roof, ladder, no. But the bugs on you, or arachnids, what? What so bad about that? And they have never eaten live snakes whoever said that, they have used them in stunts, but never eaten live snakes. Live spiders yes, but not snakes.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
To paraphrase Jay Leno.......Apparently he was watching one of those T.V.'s without an off button.....

This lawsuit should be thrown out; it's ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The court system should have the ability to fine people who make such frivilous law suits. I would like to see this lawsuit thrown out and the guy fined a huge sum for wasting tax payer money doing so. I mean he should have to pay for wasting taxpayer money on such a frivilous lawsuit. Maybe if the courts could fine people a huge sum some of the what to be crooks could end up getting some of their own justice in the end.

If this lawsuit stands, then anyone could sue almost anyone for watching something on tv. I could watch a religious preacher claim the devil was the enemy after us and get upset, walk into a door, injure myself and then sue the religious show for a million dollars for my injuries. This is totally ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 03:20 AM
link   
This lawsuit is a ludicrous denial of personal responsibility. He should have just lowered his eyelids until the offensive material was finished airing.

BTW, Federal District Court rules do allow the Court to sanction parties who file frivolous lawsuits.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Is this guy for real? I saw a fish being caught pulling and tugging at the lure to get away and after a short fight he gave up. I put the poor fish whose lifeless body was limp and wet into my creel. When I got it home I cleaned it and put it in the oven. It never made me shed a tear as my thoughts were going wild as to how I was going to prepare it. Has our species nothing else to do than take up the resources of the courts that are reserved for the real people who have a real lawsuits resulting from a real life situation?

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Oh please, please, please let this man win and then maybe it'll put a stop to all these ridiculous shows. I hate "so called" reality shows......the whole country is more stupid for having watched them! For one, I don't give fly's patootie who marries who, who wins what...and I have a hard time understanding the mentality of sitting and watching this crap!

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   
There's no way to not be redundant in describing this guy, so here goes:

what a stupid idiot.

In a fight to squelch frivolous civil suits - SUCH AS THIS ONE - the U.S. judicial system is going to have to start popping these idiots with HUGE fines...HUGE. And those fines should be applied to the lawyers as well. That'll shut some of this nonsense down.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Hell I'd eat a rat for $50,000. Travel the world for a year, donate a bit of money and buy myself a new computer and faster connection when I get home.

A lawsuit like that is just plain stupid, I knew it was someone from the USA making the claim before I even read the article.

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
OMG! after reading this disgusting thread I feel dizzy, heartburn and like throwing up. I will have my lawyer sue ATS for exposing me to this filth, settle while you can!

posted on Jan, 8 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Uh.... IDK if anyone realised this, but EVERYTHING they eat on the show isn't disgusting, most of it is considered a delicacy, and the non-delicacy stuff is edible and tastes good.

In fact, I heard on a 'behind the scenes' type show that thats indeed how they decide what to serve, stuff thats eaten in other parts of the world. There is a big difference tho, on the show they just boil everything, in real life people actually cook stuff with spices and what not.

mmmmm, maggots cheese, that stuff is a DELICACY! The cheese is extra soft after the maggots have digested it. hell, had a show on TLC all about strange foods, one was Maggot Cheese. It isn't disgusting, why people think it is is beyond me.

Maggot cheese? There's some part of the world where people eat maggot cheese? And you think its weird anyone woudl find that digusting? Dear god, that sounds absolutelyrevolting. I'm sure it tastes well enough, but, yeesh. I mean, lobsters are arthorpods, and so are roaches, so for all i know roach muscle tastes a lot like lobster. But no way am I going to try to find out.

posted on Jan, 15 2005 @ 12:15 AM
link   
real life-
late night (a few nights back) I got the hungries. I found a canister of dates- I love dates. The kitchen light was off so I popped a handful in my mouth.

I thought-'hmmm, these feel a little strange' so I turned the light on (hadn't chewed but once as yet and no swallowing) and opened the canister- MAGGOTS!

emptied everything out in the waste can while I gagged (still hadn't swallowed)

gargled with mouthwash until my tongue hurt

I had read this thread earlier

So ALL of you be veeeeeery careful

<< 1   >>

join