It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Court hears Confederate dorm arguments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
A Tennessee state appeals court heard arguments over whether Vanderbilt University could remove the word Confederate from a dormitory. The dormitory in question was built by the United Daughters of the Confederacy back in the 1930�s. They maintain that Vanderbilt is obligated under contract to retain the name, while the University feels the contracts are no longer valid.

www.cnn.com
NASHVILLE, Tennessee (AP) -- A state appeals court heard arguments Wednesday over whether Vanderbilt University can remove the word "Confederate" from a dormitory the United Daughters of the Confederacy helped build in the 1930s.

The Tennessee chapter of the group claims the university's effort to drop the first word from Confederate Memorial Hall violates decades-old contracts, but Vanderbilt claims the contracts are no longer valid.

The judges, who did not say when they will issue a ruling, had strong words for both sides.

"You're arguing social values and making the courts be the tough guy," Judge William Cain said when a Vanderbilt attorney argued the university is completely different than it was in 1934. "The court is faced here with a bilateral contract and not an academic freedom."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The changes are part of a diversity effort initiated in 2002. However, they building were a gift to the university and thus should retain the name even if it is not politically correct. Its not as if the dorm is flying the Confederate flag over it. The political correctness thing is really starting to get out of hand.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Your rihgt this PC crap is getting out of hand. When I saw the title I was thinking, maybe it was a Confederate themed dorm, but just because of one word? Its nuts when one word used in a neutral context causes so much trouble.

You can't please everyone, thats what sums this up.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Sounds like the new marketing strategy for Vanderbilt is too increase diversity at the school. Having a dormitory as such could hurt their efforts to capture more minorities.

The only reason Vanderbilt cares that minorities care is because Vanderbilt wants more students and more money. There is no one easy solution to any of this since people will always be offended by something. It's whether or not the other party involved cares if someone is offended. Usually it comes down to what is more financially advantageous, and in this case I think Vanderbilt made its decision.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Diversity is a good thing as long as it doesn't include the heritage of the South. This is almost laughable. The diversity movement has never included me.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I am seldom on the side of anything that promotes or supports the COnfederacy, however, this was a bit much for even me. This is the name of the group that donated the money. They have the right to expect that thier legacy will endure untill it is torn down. Its not like they are fighting to keep the name Hitler or something :shk:

new topics

top topics

join