It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD cop: "I was punished for not stopping enough black, Hispanic teens in subways"

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Personally I would not be surprised at his allegation, as I don't trust much in the way of bureaucracy. That being said what I find incredibly interesting is the amount of credence this one cop gets by some, and the total lack of credence the cops in the "Five Police Officers claim that Trump is RIGHT about parts of London" thread.

Why is this Cops testimony seen as legit by some and the Cops testimony in London not sen as such?
The inverse is true as well, Why do some think the Cops in London are right but this guy is full of crap?

I see a whole crap ton of confirmation bias going on personally... but then maybe I am biased to.
I suppose there is a very real possibility that both stories could in fact be true, after all they are not mutually exclusive. Who knows?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: dragonridr

But logic tells us unless people complained there is no way his supervisor knows who he stopped.

Well besides all the paperwork police officers are required to fill out when they write tickets as well as the database that tracks their citations and arrests.

Please tell me what paperwork a police officer files for stoping then if a ticket isn't involved?? Obviously your speaking of things you know nothing about. Even for a ticket there is no paperwork only arrests.

And your reading something into the article it doesn't say it says stops which is different then an atrest or ticket. Had his supervisor said your arrwsting to many white women that would be one thing. But he was talking about stops not many white woman are going to vandalize ot snatch a purse in thr sub way. This is most likely going to be teenagers just like they stated. Being black or Hispanic doesn't matter this just tells you they frequent the terminals more often and the white teenagers are grabibg purses else where

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

originally posted by: introvert

Even if that is true, you cannot stop someone or single them out just based on their skin color. They must be committing a crime or be suspected of committing a crime.

It sounds like this cop was specifically stop white people. Is it ok to stop white people for their skin color in order to prove how not racist and diverse you are?

What if this policeman was actually afraid of those non-white folks out there. Might be statistically "safer" to affront a white person. Perhaps fewer of the demographic that he targeted were likely to strike back or be carrying anything (knives, guns, broken bottles etc) that could be threatening to him. Now, if that were the case, I could see his superiors trying to reel him in and say hey "you need to stop them all, not just the ones you feel safe approaching" , I mean, this could've been the case.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: evc1shop

Even if that is true, you cannot stop someone or single them out just based on their skin color. They must be committing a crime or be suspected of committing a crime.

It sounds like this cop was specifically stop white people. Is it ok to stop white people for their skin color in order to prove how not racist and diverse you are?

What if this policeman was actually afraid of those non-white folks out there. Might be statistically "safer" to affront a white person. Perhaps fewer of the demographic that he targeted were likely to strike back or be carrying anything (knives, guns, broken bottles etc) that could be threatening to him. Now, if that were the case, I could see his superiors trying to reel him in and say hey "you need to stop them all, not just the ones you feel safe approaching" , I mean, this could've been the case.

Tell me you don't actually believe the bull excrement posted above.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
If this guy was purposefully choosing to stop White men and women, then that in itself is discrimination, which is illegal.

I agree that quotas are bull# because it pressures cops to do shady stuff lest they get punished. I think at most cops should be evaluated against the averages of other cops in the vicinity on volume alone, not statistics, and they shouldn't be held to a specific standard.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

originally posted by: evc1shop

Tell me you don't actually believe the bull excrement posted above.

No, I do not. I was trying to figure out what angle this officer could possibly try to use as a defense and pass it off to you et al as a sort of sarcastic devil's advocate. My wife happens to be a lawyer and you would not believe the crazy bs# that people use for excuses. Anyhow, I started to wonder what would his be. I suppose I should have flagged it as :Sarcasm: or however you do that. I apologize if this sounded believable in any manner.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: evc1shop

No problem man, I understand now..

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: rossacus
a reply to: onequestion
What he states is true. Especially the privatised prison system. Judges are on commission to fill the prisons. Who will they most likely target? White criminals who can afford representation or black criminals who can't living in poverty areas?

The inclination is not to target minorities in your position but to target poor people, poor people being predominately black and Latino.

What's first the chicken or the egg?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It does thanks!

I'm thinking this is a go along to get along system. I don't know who is at the top, and this person may have just acted on some data from a statistician.

It seems to be the result they were looking for. They may have just not thought that whites would realize this and become more opportunistic at getting away with a crime.

Well think about it. Since the racial bias in our national policing is plastered all over the news 24/7 it's not going to be long before opportunistic white people will start testing that out. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty sure I've gotten away with stuff that should have put me in jail.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 06:44 AM
link   

But logic tells us unless people complained there is no way his supervisor knows who he stopped.

Well besides all the paperwork police officers are required to fill out when they write tickets as well as the database that tracks their citations and arrests.

Please tell me what paperwork a police officer files for stoping then if a ticket isn't involved?? Obviously your speaking of things you know nothing about. Even for a ticket there is no paperwork only arrests.

And your reading something into the article it doesn't say it says stops which is different then an atrest or ticket. Had his supervisor said your arrwsting to many white women that would be one thing. But he was talking about stops not many white woman are going to vandalize ot snatch a purse in thr sub way. This is most likely going to be teenagers just like they stated. Being black or Hispanic doesn't matter this just tells you they frequent the terminals more often and the white teenagers are grabibg purses else where

I think you are reading too far into the article. Going by your premise, you are suggesting that a bunch of unrelated white people coincidentally complained about the same guy stopping them with very few hispanic or black people complaining about such. That sounds like an AWFULLY unlikely scenario to me. That is why I'm siding with the paperwork aspect. By stops, they likely meant tickets. They just can't say "tickets" because that would imply they have quotas. And police quotas are bad (and illegal), yet we all know they still have them.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I think you are reading too far into the article. Going by your premise, you are suggesting that a bunch of unrelated white people coincidentally complained about the same guy stopping them with very few hispanic or black people complaining about such. That sounds like an AWFULLY unlikely scenario to me. That is why I'm siding with the paperwork aspect. By stops, they likely meant tickets. They just can't say "tickets" because that would imply they have quotas. And police quotas are bad (and illegal), yet we all know they still have them.

Your scenario is even worse that means he specifically targeted white people to give tickets to. Making him some sort if racist. However I think if they meant ticketed they would have said it. But assuming your right most tickets he would write is what's called fare beating and rude and disorderly. Not a lot of tickets to give to subway passengers they are not driving. So I guess this officer just came across a lot of ride white people who didn't like to pay to use the subway. If it was arrests then his two major offenses would be pickpocketing and vandalism. Again white people I guess tend to tag subway terminals and steal purses at least according to this officer.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

No one is truly innocent. I just look at the evidence as well as what the most likely situation is. The most likely situation is that they are basing these complaints off of the tickets he is writing. It makes more sense than your scenario, that's for sure. So if that possibly paints him as a racist, then so be it.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

What's the point in posing that question if your not going to objectively look at the answer given?

Or, are you looking for an answer along the lines of "X people commit the most crimes?" or something more definitive?

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 02:00 PM
link   

a reply to: theySeeme

Can't wait for someone to come into the thread and tell us that the system isn't racist.

Is it racist? Yes. Do black and latino males commit the majority of the crime on NY subways? Yes.

edit on 8-1-2016 by dr1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I'm glad he spoke out on the corruption going on behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if this is happening throughout the U.S. People don't want to face the fact that things like this truly are happening, especially when police are involved.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The main purpose for police presence in any public transportation system is to maintain safety for the riders and the employees. Once it is deemed unsafe the ridership and revenue diminishes leading to a failed system. The demographics do matter and it is well known certain groups cause more problems than others. Harassing the public in general to pretend to be equitable is bad business.

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

a reply to: theySeeme

Can't wait for someone to come into the thread and tell us that the system isn't racist.

Was there factual data behind the management's claim that more crimes are committed in the subway by black and Latino teenagers?

Surely, it must be clearly visible in NYPD's arrest statistics!

/s

posted on Jan, 11 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Johano

The demographics do matter and it is well known certain groups cause more problems than others. Harassing the public in general to pretend to be equitable is bad business.

How about harassing the people who are actually the problem and not by so-called" certain group"s by which you mean AAs and Latinos are they not part of the general public??

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join