It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are people silly enough to believe in 'miracle spring water'? Cures cancer, debt, etc...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   
So I was flipping through channels this early morning because I couldn't sleep. Came across this televangelist Peter Popoff that claims he has miracle spring water. This infomercial shows individuals claiming they were given money, health, new vehicles and even had their cancer cured while using this 'miracle water'.

Now after a few more minutes have passed, he's telling ME I'll get a 'baraaaand new shiiiiny car my child" if I call the hotline. A quick Google search showed me he was in trouble back in the 80s for similar crap.

My jaw literally has been hanging open since I started watching... How could anyone believe this for a second?? I'm hoping at the end of this crap a giant troll hobbles across the screen saying "gotcha!". But I fear that isn't what will happen..

I'm not religious I suppose, but I do believe there is a special corner of " hell" in the collective consciousness for those that use the word of holy texts to trick people for their own profit.... And honestly, this has nothing to do with religion at its most basic level. This man is preying on people with little hope, sick people and weak minded people for his own profit.

I've never seen a bigger falsehood in my life. If sin is a real thing, this must be it.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

It's amazing but that's stuffs been around for a little hole so there's got to be a fair amount of bites.

At the end of the day is that any crazier than believing a guy lived inside a whales belly for a weekend or worshipping a spray painted black rock?

It's mind boggling.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

The 'holy text's are one big trick to dupe people into being controllable.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Thing is, its the people who buy into this junk you need to feel for, the ones in true pain and suffering who see this man promising the world, via something ("god") which everyone knows about so they throw what little hope they have left into these horrible people.

Question: How can you cure debt? lol

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Nah..
edit on 7-1-2016 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Moegotti

Exactly what I was thinking. Obviously there is a market if it's on a major network's infomercial slot.

And honestly, it's probably more likely I'd survive a weekend in a whale belly than I'd receive a brand new car from a packet of water...

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

The way the texts are used this day in age I do agree with you.

However, I think there are some decent lessons to be learned from certain texts when you read them with your heart, without prejudice and without fear mongering from some dude behind a podium in a gown.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:15 AM
link   

True. I read a chunk of a bible one night in a hotel and it was full of love and positivity.
edit on 7-1-2016 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:21 AM
link   

That's my favorite way to read any bible like thing. Just crack it open and see what ya get. Some of it can be quite nice!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Can't help laughing at this but, in fairness he is actually selling hope - not unlike your local priest who also can't prove his claims either.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Never under estimate the power of Hope, when people are desperate. If the Drs have given up and said they can't do any more to save your child/Mom/brother/sister/wife.....How far would you go to try to save them? A week before Christmas, the best friend I ever had died. I am not a believer.....but I prayed for him. I prayed that he be healed and not be taken from us. I prayed.
That is how far I went.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:45 AM
link   
It should not surprise anyone, this has been going on forever.

On our last trip to Italy we visited a hot spring that has existed since the Etruscans that is rumored to have healing powers.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: seaswine
So I was flipping through channels this early morning because I couldn't sleep. Came across this televangelist Peter Popoff that claims he has miracle spring water. This infomercial shows individuals claiming they were given money, health, new vehicles and even had their cancer cured while using this 'miracle water'.

Now after a few more minutes have passed, he's telling ME I'll get a 'baraaaand new shiiiiny car my child" if I call the hotline. A quick Google search showed me he was in trouble back in the 80s for similar crap.

My jaw literally has been hanging open since I started watching... How could anyone believe this for a second?? I'm hoping at the end of this crap a giant troll hobbles across the screen saying "gotcha!". But I fear that isn't what will happen..

I'm not religious I suppose, but I do believe there is a special corner of " hell" in the collective consciousness for those that use the word of holy texts to trick people for their own profit.... And honestly, this has nothing to do with religion at its most basic level. This man is preying on people with little hope, sick people and weak minded people for his own profit.

I've never seen a bigger falsehood in my life. If sin is a real thing, this must be it.

Yes they are! People are stupid enough to believe anything. hell minorities are supporting hitler 2.0 in the states. People in the states believe that you need to solve gun problems with more guns. People believe in pyramid schemes ect.

The average person would believe anything now adays.....

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
There's a sucker born every minute. In fact, if you send me $19.99 I'll send you a book outlining all the ways you could be scammed. You might also watch the following video:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Moegotti

It's amazing but that's stuffs been around for a little hole so there's got to be a fair amount of bites.

At the end of the day is that any crazier than believing a guy lived inside a whales belly for a weekend or worshipping a spray painted black rock?

It's mind boggling.

To be fair, that "black rock" isn't in the Qur'an. It's only found in tradition.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Peter Popoff is a special kind of thing. You mentioned his issues in the 80's. He use to troll his audience...his wife did and she had a microphone and he had the ear piece and he she would ask peoples names and other personal information and she would whisper it to him and he would pretend that God had given him the information. One of the oldest tricks in the book and yes it still works.

The reason it does work is because people are looking for comfort in their lives and religion provides comfort. He perverts it more with his miracle cures and such and again because people are desperate for a cure so desperate they will try anything.

I read an article the other day about televangelist discussing their need for private jets. The consensus was that they are needed because of their fame....they would never be able to board a plane or pray because too many people would be asking for prayer request. They also stated that they would not be able to talk to God because they would have to stay seated with the belt buckle on if on board a commercial aircraft and so God would not talk to them. This conversation was taking place because they were asking for money to purchase a new private jet and for people to give them money.

These people take advantage of the most vulnerable, our ageing, our sick, and the lonely. I do believe God has a special place waiting for each of them.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Really!? What's your PayPal name? I'll gladly send that 19.99 if it helps me to avoid scams

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I think the question is really whether people suffer enough as to become so desperate as to believe in them.

Yes.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
That was funny.
By the way, what did you think about the video?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Of course. There will always be people who believe in BS. Nature's way of dealing with them is natural selection but we like to try to protect them from themselves so they can breed.

Really. Don't know who's dumber. The guy who should be allowed to make fatal mistakes or the millions of people who are determined to keep him alive long enough to reproduce.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join