It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thought about intelligent life on other planets

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

As most whales are not predators that would be a very lovely planet indeed.

You are mistaken, my friend. All whales, without exception, are predators.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

Very true. Many do not match our concept of "predator", but some do attack and kill/eat larger sea creatures too.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: angryhulk

So you agree whales as they are today could not, they would need to evolve. Question, even if they grew arms/hands/thumbs, could they develop a civilization while under water?

Yes, absolutely. Evolution in terms of their physical attributes and their own intelligence.

Regarding under water civilizations - maybe, it's a fascinating world and a fascinating question. I would like to imagine that life exists elsewhere in the universe under water, or a form of 'water'. Maybe even close to home in our own solar system. A few moons spring to mind.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

It's an interesting point! However our galaxy (let alone the universe) is far too large to assume that every life form it produces would go the same way as whales. The chances of this must be absolutely minute when you take into account the estimated number of planets that are floating around out there.

Our Galaxy is 9 billion years old with an estimated 200 billion stars, of which ours is only half that age. Since this planet has been giving off signs of life for around a billion years, I'd say that it's much more likely that whatever the big fish is (pardon the pun) out in the galaxy, it would already be well aware of us.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
a reply to: Akragon

Mind control!!! They could get a lesser intelligent but still very intelligent, opposable thumb weilding species to create starships for them.

Now there is a thought worthy of Douglas Adams!

I was thinking this exact same thing and wondering if anyone would beat me to it before I got to the end of the thread.

It reminded me of the startrek film...

Sounds like a skunkworks thread in it's own right to me!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Ok if we are being theoretical I give you this!

Imagine a rare super earth world that is almost totally liquid water in the surface. The atmosphere of this world is also very dense and comprised of varies layers of different gases of different densities in right up to space or its edge or at least far enough to reduce the volicity required to escape it's gravity.

The outer fringes of this world would have space like conditions. Perhaps a whale like entity could adapt over time from its original ocean to become more and more buoyant seeking food in the upper layers of the atmosphere and adapting to the different gases/life all the way along. Its eventually is floating up on the edge of the atmosphere/space and using photosynthesis. They orbit and eventually escape their planets pull.They have no preditors now and start to reporduce exponentially swarming their solar system.

Again they are at the fringe this time of there solar system and adapt to colder conditions with less light. Eventually they drift away from the system or have even evolved a means of propulsion.

They don't even need super intelligence they are driven by food/energy acquisition and reproduction.

There you have it! evolved space whales drifting through space no machines required!

A very Zerg like ceature.

Just a fun thought no rational required! We really don't know the bounds of evolution! To the spawning pits!

edit on 7-1-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: Jonjonj

As most whales are not predators that would be a very lovely planet indeed.

You are mistaken, my friend. All whales, without exception, are predators.

Ok, I get what you are saying. I was referring to predator in the sense of sharks and lions and dolphins and those types. But you are correct.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

Imagine a rare super earth world that is almost totally liquid water in the surface. The atmosphere of this world is also very dense and comprised of varies layers of different gases of different densities in right up to space or its edge or at least far enough to reduce the volicity required to escape it's gravity.

The outer fringes of this world would have space like conditions. Perhaps a whale like entity could adapt over time from its original ocean to become more and more buoyant seeking food in the upper layers of the atmosphere and adapting to the different gases/life all the way along. Its eventually is floating up on the edge of the atmosphere/space and using photosynthesis. They orbit and eventually escape their planets pull.They have no preditors now and start to reporduce exponentially swarming their solar system.

Again they are at the fringe this time of there solar system and adapt to colder conditions with less light. Eventually they drift away from the system or have even evolved a means of propulsion.

They don't even need super intelligence they are driven by food/energy acquisition and reproduction.

There you have it! evolved space whales drifting through space no machines required!

Just a fun thought no rational required! We really don't know the bounds of evolution! To the spawning pits!

That almost sounds similar to the Dweller's in Ian M Banks The Algerbrist.

en.wikipedia.org...(Banks)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Interesting concept I'll have to check out the book. Thanks for sharing that!

a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

Life existing yes, very possible. How would a civilization form though, especially one that would lead them to leaving their world?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: jamespond

I think the point is that you don't have to go the way of the whale, that almost every body type is prohibitive of an intelligent species leaving their planet, very few allow it to happen. Civilization, especially one capable of reaching the stars, requires a very rare set of specific circumstances.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Has anyone of you who have been kidnapped or picked up by aliens what have they told you regarding animals?

Do they have dogs and cats on their planets?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

Sunlight is nice, but plants need a lot more than simply sunlight. There is nothing else in space, no matter for them to breathe or feed on. Even then they would not have a civilization, no advanced machinery, just floating through space. They would then be limited to their solar system.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
You compare intelligence to our civilisation . Everyone knows the civilisations we create are not intelligent (rational) because they are no sustainable. We take all the natural resources and move on. The matrix is a fine example of this. Whales are more intelligent in a sense because they form an equilibrium with their environment, one that is sustainable. Remember you only truly need to leave your planet if it is dying or the occupants are helping destroy it.

Telepathy/telekinesis nullifies the need for opposable thumbs, as though it is the only way to be space bound. You are also suggesting that other life forms out their need to respire, or can't live in the vacuum of space. Our definition of life only fits the criteria of earth bound lifeforms. Parasites could technically go to space, harnessing life forms that have produced technology. There are many examples of possibilities once you look past human per eption of intelligence.

I still can't see why you place so much emphasis on opposable thumbs. And extended flexible finger could perform to the same level.
Great idea for a thread though.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
There is matter just very very very few and far between. Perhaps they could metabolize asteroids. Maby in this theoretical solar system there would be an abundance of asteroids. They could live on or in them and metabolize the stone like a lichen.

I agree I don't think this would be a civilization. More like space coral.

I see what your saying about certain body forms being viable for a space fairing race. Even us humans take a little bit of our ocean of air with us.

I think our bodies are about as good as it gets in terms of space fairing ability from having evolving here on earth. Eventually we will augment our selves to be better suited to the environment of space.

edit on 8-1-2016 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Even if they 'ate' asteroids, they need the sun for energy through photosynthesis so they can't leave their solar system without advanced machinery they could not build.

And to the other poster, I did not say opposable thumbs were required, I said a certain body type is, and opposable thumbs is one such type.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 07:56 PM
link   

One thing that springs to mind is any Aliens that want to come to Earth cannot be very intelligent.

Whales no matter there intelligence would be rather hard pressed to create anything other than more whales considering there lack of opposable appendages never mind the fact that fire, a basic component of numerous technology is just about impossible to produce under water. Point of fact hippos are the closest living relatives of whales so there ancient ancestors may very well have walked the land masses at one point before returning to our oceans.
edit on 9-1-2016 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Much like I am thinking. They also need to constantly move and can not "settle" or they would die. Are there any large marine animals that are capable of staying in the same place?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I will say it. Whales are not as intelligent as humans.

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven
I will say it. Whales are not as intelligent as humans.

Have you ever talked to a whale to know they are not as intelligent as humans? If you say you have, then I would say you need some meds, if you say you haven't I can say you have no evidence to back your assumption that humans are more intelligent.

I would bet that some whales are more intelligent than some humans. Especially teenagers filled with hormones.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join