It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disolve the BLM, return all lands under their management to Natives it was taken from

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

Why would you make this statement? What was your motivation for this post?

posted on Jan, 9 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
a reply to: introvert

Because unless it is privately-owned and privately-maintained, someone has to come in to take care of the land.

If the US government did not maintain many areas of land not privately-owned, wildfires would be a much bigger issue, animal populations would be unchecked and we potentially would have to deal with much bigger issues.

How did the Native American's manage to get along for thousands of years without the BLM, it's miraculous!

Erm, beginners luck?
Yeah, that must be it

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence
To the winner go the spoils. This is a bad precedent-reparations for everyone? Then, why conquer or go to war?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
From what I have read of US history, the American natives were tribal and in constant battle for all natural resources, etc. It was never peaceful. So, I doubt seriously "they"-many, many different tribes- were overly concerned with the environment without their own needs first to survive using all plants and animals.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso
Perhaps you should study some actual reports of people who have scientifically studied the prehistory of North American cultures. Your US history can't tell you what the people of the continent were doing prior to the arrival of Europeans.
By definition---it is prehistory, not written down anywhere except in the ground where they lived.
Archaeological evidence gleaned from decades of investigations show that violence among native people was the exception rather than the norm. There is little evidence for warfare in the area that would become the US prior to the arrival of Europeans. There are far more instances of institutionalized violence than of warfare. (Human sacrifice is ritualized violence.)

The mortuary studies of native inhabitants of the population centers show no evidence of warfare with some dozen or so exceptions. In each case, the participants (where the remains could be examined) in the violence were shown to be suffering from malnutrition. The last remnants of the huge population at Cahokia Mounds, the largest population center in the US, showed signs of malnutrition, defensive injuries and ritualized violence.
It's very simple when you think about it; you will fight to be able to eat and feed your family.

These ranchers are feeding lots of families. They are the victims of ritualized violence. (Imprisonment is a form of ritualized violence.)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt
You may be right; I only know what I've read and my knowledge is somewhat limited. However, based on the info you have provided abut malnourishment, ritualistic killings, etc. it stands to reason that they were not living well off the land alone. Cultures do perish and they most likely were in that danger zone. Also, Europeans did expose deadly diseases to the natives as well as their own warfare and survival needs. Just history; we can't remake it or time travel yet to make it right.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
From the evidence available it seems that small villages did quite well. It was the largest population centers that suffered the effects of environmental degradation in the form of some degree of malnutrition throughout their lives.
In the small villages and hamlets, the remains show no signs of famine or warfare. Ritualized violence is rare as well.
Interestingly enough, the incidents of documented warfare seems to have occurred among agricultural societies at the very time that Europe was suffering from famine due to massive crop failures.
There is also some evidence to suggest that the continent may have been shaken by severe earthquakes during that same time period. Volcano eruptions also added to the mix of environmental issues.
In the middle of the continent, the Mississippi River drainage system, the people living in the large population centers began leaving the cities. In some places it took as much as 150 years of decline but eventually these cities were simply abandoned. The population seems to have gone back to smaller bands and hamlets.
The above is a huge generalization on my part. That time period and the cultures that thrived then failed have been the focus of my studies for over 30 years.

edit on 10-1-2016 by diggindirt because: spelling and clarity

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Then, why conquer or go to war?

Why indeed: Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Humans are trying to evolve just not enough of us I guess.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

National parks/forests are really open for resource harvesting if corporations want, is that for real? Or are you joking since in theory, the dept of ag could begin its new post by doing just that, portioning off sections of once-protected land to the highest bidder?

Just asking since I've stayed away from news the last year but I have heard that with the CA drought going on and land being strategically purchased, Nestle co. owns like nearly 50% of the drinkable water now in California and if they buy it all up, CA could hypothetically be paying to drink, boil, cook, water, or bathe in the future and I don't mean at nominal fees like the cities charge for water...That's a terrifying thought and they say HAARP is ensuring nobody gets any free non-nestle water in the meantime.

Privatized water...I'm shuddering. A privatized necessity to life like oxygen. There's a 1984esque novel just waiting to be written, huh

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: AlexandrosTheGreat
You're right about the water…

Wall Street Banks are buying the rights to it all over America. They will abuse that right it like they do everything else.

Search result

Yes, the Forestry Department is under the auspices of the Dept. of Agriculture now. From protection of resource to exploitation for profit.

Further: I live in California, the drought they tell everyone is primarily a result of the exploitation of water by Big Agro and corporations like Nestle.

California has enough water even during a "drought" if these corporations didn't take it all for themselves. Even during a full rainy season the storage capacity of reservoirs and dams is limited. They aren't building any more of those. The reason they are low all the time now is they siphon off the water. Now they are even taking out of the underground aquifer direct. This is manufactured drought.

Greed knows no bounds.

edit on 10-1-2016 by intrptr because: Further:

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Because unless it is privately-owned and privately-maintained, someone has to come in to take care of the land.

If the US government did not maintain many areas of land not privately-owned, wildfires would be a much bigger issue, animal populations would be unchecked and we potentially would have to deal with much bigger issues.

How did the Native American's manage to get along for thousands of years without the BLM, it's miraculous!

They lived with Nature, we exploit it. They managed the forests mostly letting them be. Only in their natural state can they remain healthy. Europeans came along and killed off the herds of Buffalo, cut down the forests, paved the landscape, built dams, roads, railways, cities, all choking the landscape and contributing to destruction of the environment, animal and fish habitat.

Mountain top removal to mine coal, mining for minerals, oil drilling, and today Fracking, a hideous portrait of whats called 'progress'.

But I digress…

The Natives of this land lived side by side with Nature, taking what they needed and never more than what they needed. They could never understand why the white man took more than he needed.

Thats crazy.

It seriously amuses me how ignorant you to the reality of human nature. Your romantic, boy scout, naïve opinion of Native Americans really amazes me.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: sweets777

Lol yeah right we took it unfair and square.
Takers keepers loser weepers .
In war to the victors go the spoils.

And so it seems in every part of the world but the US...lol If they want to do something they should start 100 lawsuits against Europe countries that did it all. I would start with Spain since they pretty much wiped 80% of the indigenous population off the map here with diseases. Also last time I looked there were about 280+ million people born in America that kind of makes them native of this land too.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

So that's something like 280 million anchor babies then? They all got to go back where they came from. Leave all the industry, rockets, nukes, planes, tanks and such behind of course.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

originally posted by: intrptr

They lived with Nature, we exploit it. They managed the forests mostly letting them be. Only in their natural state can they remain healthy. Europeans came along and killed off the herds of Buffalo, cut down the forests, paved the landscape, built dams, roads, railways, cities, all choking the landscape and contributing to destruction of the environment, animal and fish habitat.

Mountain top removal to mine coal, mining for minerals, oil drilling, and today Fracking, a hideous portrait of whats called 'progress'.

But I digress…

The Natives of this land lived side by side with Nature, taking what they needed and never more than what they needed. They could never understand why the white man took more than he needed.

Thats crazy.

It seriously amuses me how ignorant you to the reality of human nature. Your romantic, boy scout, naïve opinion of Native Americans really amazes me.

Glad you're "amused". Go watch a John Wayne Movie.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Which one?

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: machineintelligence

So that's something like 280 million anchor babies then? They all got to go back where they came from. Leave all the industry, rockets, nukes, planes, tanks and such behind of course.

Where did they come from? I came from NY...lol Also what country was here back then? With your logic the American Indian should go back across the Bering Straight. How far would you like to take this...lol

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Punisher75

You click on the link just to the right of "a reply to:" in a post and it shows you the post in question. Very helpful in multi-page threads to keep track.

edit on 01pm2016-01-10T19:16:00-06:0007161America/Chicago16131 by machineintelligence because: errata

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

It was sarcasm. Sorry it was not obvious enough.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Oh well that is an easy one to answer then...
Because I was curious.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

I think you need to watch this......

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join