It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are these the toughest soldiers ever?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Hello all,

Pretty familiar with the majority of Special Forces groups around the world and what their training entails, their missions etc

Started watching this last night;

Pararescuemen (also known as PJs) are United States Air Force Special Operations Command (AFSOC) and Air Combat Command (ACC) operators tasked with recovery and medical treatment of personnel in humanitarian and combat environments. These special operations units are also used to support NASA missions and have been used to recover astronauts after water landings. They are attached to other SOF teams from all branches to conduct other operations as appropriate. Of the 22 enlisted Air Force Cross recipients, 12 are Pararescuemen. They wear the maroon beret as a symbol of their elite status, and to symbolize the blood shed by past PJs, as well as the blood current PJs are willing to shed to save lives. Part of the little-known Air Force Special Operations community[5] and long an enlisted preserve, the Pararescue service began commissioning Combat Rescue Officers early in the 21st century.

en.wikipedia.org...

Training program lasts almost 2 years!

Watching the YouTube doc shows this is an intense, INTENSE course. Wondering on peoples opinions on where they rank as opposed to say SAS, SBS, SEALS, Spetsnaz?

Cheers,

DK

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   
They don't rank with them at all. I often work at Hurlbert and Eglin AFB as well as Pensacola NAS. I see all the branches of service train and I have seen their behavior in public. The AF special ops guys are pampered and soft.
Unless you are a natural born killer I highly recommend joining the AF to any young person. Better money, less mortality, dependents are not moved around as often, boys and girls prancing around the base together in civies. Very much like prep school with more PT.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnthePhilistine
They don't rank with them at all. I often work at Hurlbert and Eglin AFB as well as Pensacola NAS. I see all the branches of service train and I have seen their behavior in public. The AF special ops guys are pampered and soft.
Unless you are a natural born killer I highly recommend joining the AF to any young person. Better money, less mortality, dependents are not moved around as often, boys and girls prancing around the base together in civies. Very much like prep school with more PT.

Nice.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:51 PM
link   
my sister used to date a para rescue. interesting and resourceful guy. and yes very tough and respected.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Man, if you need someone to get you out of a tight spot and away, PJs are great to see.

Every one of them I know is nice, professional, and can swim like mad.

Their mission is rescue, and that's where they shine. They don't do DA.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Pussies, try living in a cave on dialysis in the desert coordinating a rag tag bunch of Muslims to launch the greatest ever attack on Western soil and bring it ( the West ) to her knees ? he didn't train all day long, he performed a miracle yes ?

Osama bin Laden over 15 years has financially crippled the US and morally bankrupted it. In a 100 years he will go down as the Greatest ever Muslim and fools living in tents wearing rags on their head will worship him.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Death_Kron

Having worked with the PJ's in Afghanistan they are a remarkable bunch and the absolute best at what they do and that is rescue a crew from downed aircraft. I know if I was in a mishap that I would want the PJ's coming for me. They may not be the first choice to have in a fire fight but for what they do there is no one better.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I rate them right below the standard infantry solider.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Interesting replies so far, general consensus then is although they are highly trained and experts at what they do in comparison to 'REAL' special forces they are nowhere near?

I suppose maybe I didn't think about the fact that even though their training is 2 years in duration - the majority of that is probably medical skills and examinations. I don't know though, just from watching the doc it does look pretty intense and tough but saying that I suppose we also don't see exactly what goes on in training SF guys.

Anyone know of any good docs/videos that show SEAL/SAS/any SF training? Obviously they can't show a lot but I've seen quite a few, any suggestions?

Cheers,
DK

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: odinsway

While not SPECOPS.. SEABEE'S above/below standard infantry?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: mazzroth
Pussies, try living in a cave on dialysis in the desert coordinating a rag tag bunch of Muslims to launch the greatest ever attack on Western soil and bring it ( the West ) to her knees ? he didn't train all day long, he performed a miracle yes ?

Osama bin Laden over 15 years has financially crippled the US and morally bankrupted it. In a 100 years he will go down as the Greatest ever Muslim and fools living in tents wearing rags on their head will worship him.

A) You do know that he's dead don't you? And B) say what again?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
The Pedro teams in Afghanistan were always a welcome sight when the # had hit the fan and there was casualties. They'd be more than willing to stick their necks on the line to get someone out. Although it was more to do with the aircraft than the people riding in them, they could and would go places that the MERTs wouldn't, and then they'd jump right into the middle of a contact and start getting rounds down to peovide cover and get their man out.

posted on Feb, 9 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   

If that was the program they showed on TV many years ago about the PJ's my good friend was shown in it graduating. We graduated High School together. It was interesting seeing everything he did to get through that training, he always had good physical endurance but never expected him to do that. He told me in a bar when he got accepted to go, he was happy and excited then, It was cool to see him make it through that.

posted on Feb, 10 2016 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Who is the toughest? Any military with restrictive "rules of engagement" regardless of how well trained will fail. Any military whose leadership find it more important to feather their future politically or through working for a military contractor will fail.

Regardless of the quality of its troops if winning is not primary and missions are assigned outside the scope of the military will not be successful.

If the command authority has the ability to communicate it's wishes from the White House directly to a battalion commander in the middle of a firefight in Helmand Province Afghanistan the effort will fail. Vietnam was the best example of micromanagement our military has had but still does it.

What I'm trying to say is that the best warriors will fail if the leadership is corrupt. A Politician who has never served and is deluded enough to think they are more capable than a 20 year combat soldier is insane and will fail.

Who is best? No one!
edit on 10-2-2016 by buddah6 because: AGE, PAIN MEDS and BAD MEMORY!

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Agreed. Reminds me of what my father told me when I was learning to shoot. " It's better to have a 1st rate man with 3rd rate rifle, than the other way around ".

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 01:54 AM
link   

They are advanced combat medics.
Their ONLY job is life.
The can shoot well too but they are not combat troops,per say.
Spatznaz troops train to withstand pain which very well may make them the winners,some die during their training and THEY ARE Russia's.
Toughness and intelligence is paramount.
edit on 11-7-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7

They are advanced combat medics.
Their ONLY job is life.
The can shoot well too but they are not combat troops,per say.
Spatznaz troops train to withstand pain which very well may make them the winners,some die during their training and THEY ARE Russia's.
Toughness and intelligence is paramount.

Not to mention the blood pool training they had to go through. Cold War Era Spatz are some nasty people when it comes to flat-rate tough, but when it comes to deadliest it's a good toss up between a few out there.

By the way back in the late 80's early 90's there was a tv show that highlighted SF forces from around the world. I wish I could remember the name of it, I think it was on the Discovery Channel back when it was good, but I can't find it anywhere.

posted on Jul, 11 2016 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: mazzroth

bin laden never lived in a cave until the bombing in afghanistan started, then he camped out in one for two months before going to pakistan. he lived in a primitive house made of mud and stone in the Tora Bora Mts.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The toughest soldiers are the one who can survive without technology.

posted on Aug, 13 2016 @ 09:23 PM
link   
a reply to: buddah6

Reminds of an old proverb:

"An army of sheep led by a lion is greater than an army of lions led by a sheep."

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join