It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Implications of the sudden boom in JF-17 purchases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Pakistan is starting to sell a bunch of JF-17s to various countries. Myanmar is buying a handful. Sri Lanka just signed for a few. Nigeria has set aside funds for 3 JF-17s. The total number of Thunders on the procurement rolls is not high, but this is really a first for Pakistan or others selling fighters: this has been the province of the US, Europe, Russia or China up until now. I think this has some pretty big implications.

I am NOT saying the JF-17 is plane full of awesome sauce. Quite the contrary: these are the bottom rung of fighters. However, this could leverage Pakistan into actually having an aerospace industry and set a precedent for nontraditional aerospace companies/countries to market their wares. 30 years ago, this would have been the US F-16s or Russian MiGs. No longer.

Or am I wrong?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It's fast and cheep. I didn't say awesome, either. A lot depends on what you were to hang on the rails.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Honestly, what choices do they have? Yes, the F-16 has been updated, and the Block 60, and V are really nice, but honestly, it's putting lipstick on a pig at this point. I really like the Viper, but it's still a 70s design that's being upgraded and upgraded.

The average F-16 probably comes out near $61M per airframe, rough estimate. The JF-17 is roughly $28M per airframe. That means that countries that don't have a big budget can get two JF-17s, for less than one F-16, and still have money left over for spare parts.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:35 PM
link   
When you consider the roll the aircraft will be expected to fill, you might as well go bargain shopping. These planes will not likely be in any air to air combat in the near future. At least not against a top of the line aircraft.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
30 years ago, this would have been the US F-16s or Russian MiGs.

That statement says it all. They have 30 years for their industry to catch up to what the Russians have done. Even longer for what the US can do. Just being able to build an aircraft isn't going to be enough. They have to build a reputable reputation around that aircraft and have a healthy supply chain to keep those aircraft running.
This is why I don't see their industry really taking off that fast. Any country that has a healthy defense budget is going to get aircraft elsewhere, those with small budgets aren't going to be able to buy them in huge numbers.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Nigeria and now...Azerbaijan.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Again, look at their choices. One report puts the Iraqi Vipers at over $100M an airframe, before adding spares and support.

You can get Russian aircraft cheaper, but not much, and have less reliable aircraft, harder to get support, and have to send the aircraft back to Russia for their heavy maintenance.

Russia and the US coasted on the fact that they were the only markets available, until they shot themselves in the ass.
edit on 1/10/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   

So far, there aren't any substantial hard orders. Only speculations and hearsay by the Pakistan gov.

"As The Diplomat has reported on many occasions over the last couple of years, the JF-17’s export prospects have been subject to numerous rumors and false starts. There have long been speculations that Myanmar, Sri Lanka and several African and Middle Eastern states are or have been considering the JF-17. Until earlier this week, when Islamabad and Colombo signed an agreement on the sale of 8 JF-17s for the Sri Lankan air force, Pakistani officials have on several occasions announced that the aircraft has found a buyer, only for this to be proven false later."

thediplomat.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Sri Lanka signed. Nigeria has it in the budget.
edit on 10-1-2016 by anzha because: added links

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Again, no substantial orders. Sri Lanka signed for a total of 8 of them.
Nigeria, according to Pakistan, has been talking about buying them since 2014 and so far haven't agreed to any firm order yet and probably won't purchase them in large numbers.

posted on Jan, 10 2016 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Given the prices quoted I can see this having more of a knock on affect on the 2nd hand market. Countries aren't going to be able to sell of their older airframes to update/re-invest in new equipment so they're going to have to either downsize or just not update. There'll be an indirect impact on new plane sales but I doubt it'll be a substantial one.

new topics

top topics

join