It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mind-reading computer deciphers words from brainwaves BEFORE they are spoken

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   
when you ask someone a question it causes them to mentally recall memories related tothe question. "did you kill that person?" leads to yes. no. i killed them. or something similar. or you are kgb. leads to mental confirmation WRT the question.

"Are you a duh-yoosh bag terrorist?" get the subject to confirm or deny it mentally.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Your post reminded me of a recent episode of "The Expanse" on SyFy channel. An interrogator from the Mars Collective questions his prisoners using a Limitless like clear pill that heightens his perception of subconscious cues given by the Belter prisoners.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't think its actually reading minds, it is simply processing the word faster than the mind can tell the body to speak verbalize them.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
The first thing that comes to mind is "thought police" from Orwell's 1984. I have to reread it because I don't remember the details of the thought police. I think they only were able to listen in intermittently?

I had the same thought as the person who pointed out that some, possibly all people do not always think thoughts word for word or in any words. I can think a thought in an instant but to think it in words would take longer.

I can see the good and bad sides with technology like this. I wonder what other types of technology this will lead to.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I'm excited for technologies like this.

It's looking more and more like Ghost in the Shell.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This is very awesome, but also really scary. Hopefully we can have use for this technology.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I wonder if it could pick up words that are just randomly blurted out, rather then words that are ether naturally or intentionally being thought of. The reason why it so fast, might as well be because the machine could be working at the speed on par with the brain when its reading it. Our reaction time is to slow, and ain't so automated.

Almost like it was psychic.
"You got mail."

edit on 7-1-2016 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

Good thing they didn't do the controlled study with politicians, either wise it would have failed miserably as the words the politicians speak never matches what they are really thinking.

Cool stuff but scary as it will surely be abused .

edit on 44131America/ChicagoThu, 07 Jan 2016 21:44:46 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Punisher75
I don't think its actually reading minds, it is simply processing the word faster than the mind can tell the body to speak verbalize them.
what i was referring to is the internal dialog that goes on in the human mind. think of it in that sense as a mental rehearsal that could be verbalized if sent to the vocal apparatus; larnyx, lungs, diaphram tongue and so on.

that internal speech is one step away from actual verbalization. therefore it should be possible to read the brain patterns as if it were actually going to be spoken.

i did not mean to imply it was reading more than surface prevocalization patterns.

But if i ask you a question or make a statement your internal dialog will respond even if you have no intent to speak feedback to the stimulus.

Question: "did you eat the cookies?"

Internal dialog: " yeah and they were good too. too bad you aren't getting any. Suffer byotch."

conclusion: "You are in fact a fat arsed cookie stealing *******."

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   
less latency more grubbage.

got no issue with that.

posted on Jan, 8 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I wish they could make up their minds whether they want us to shut up or speak our minds.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join