It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should People Be forced to Participate in Things they don't agree with?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The story linked too is of a Doctor being fired supposedly because he does not agree with the Hospital agenda. This article has some interesting features 1) there are no religious views being claimed to oppose, 2) his reasons are valid for not wanting to be involved in and 3) He's not allowed to follow his own conscience on this issue.

Should people be forced to participate in something they disagree with just to keep their jobs?

www.foxnews.com...

A prominent Boston doctor and Harvard Medical School professor says a prestigious hospital canned him because he refused to endorse the LGBT lifestyle, which he believes is dangerous and unhealthy.

I am just wondering why people must be forced to participate in that they don't agree with.
]
edit on 6-1-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

your title took me back to a time of my youth where my dad said its my way or the highway . I went west as a young man .

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
From what I gathered from reading the article, he wasn't forced to do anything.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'd love to hear what this doctor thinks is "dangerous and unhealthy" about being LGBT.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:12 PM
link   
nvm
edit on 6-1-2016 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
How does a person be forced to 'endorse a LGBT lifestyle"

LGBT isn't a lifestyle choice. This whole article and this doctors position is ridiculous. What can you really expect from foxnews, though?

I too would like to know why this doctor equates the dangers and unhealthy 'lifestyle choice' of the LGBT community to that of smoking cigarettes.

I guess it just goes to show you can hold a high degree in school and still be an idiot
edit on 6/1/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The hospital is a private entity right? So it can fire and hire who its choses.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
The story linked too is of a Doctor being fired supposedly because he does not agree with the Hospital agenda. This article has some interesting features 1) there are no religious views being claimed to oppose, 2) his reasons are valid for not wanting to be involved in and 3) He's not allowed to follow his own conscience on this issue.

Should people be forced to participate in something they disagree with just to keep their jobs?

www.foxnews.com...

A prominent Boston doctor and Harvard Medical School professor says a prestigious hospital canned him because he refused to endorse the LGBT lifestyle, which he believes is dangerous and unhealthy.

I am just wondering why people must be forced to participate in that they don't agree with.
]

Its called democracy, well its actually representive democracy. We vote a very small group of people into power, and they force everybody else to do whatever they say is law. This system works the same way in capitalism, where money are the power/votes, the guy with the most money, force everybody else to do what he wants

Its simple, and yes, it is stupid, but we humans arent any smarter than that, ...yet

That is the basic of what happen here

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I don't see how the doctor is being forced to participate in the "LGBT lifestyle".

What he HAS to do is be honest and realize that some of his patients may participate in activities that he deems unhealthy and dangerous, regardless of his personal disgust. Certainly I see no problem with him warning his patients. In other words, if the doctor has a male patient suffering from bleeding hemorrhoids and polyps, warning him that anal intercourse could exasperate his suffering seems like logical doctorly advice.

What he can't do is pick and choose his patients based his personal proclivities, religious or not.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What is he being forced to participate in?

This article has some interesting features 1) there are no religious views being claimed to oppose,

Of course, FOX doesn't say what actually happened... The man has been harassing the hospital about their participation in LGBT Pride for 4-5 years. They warned him, but he wouldn't stop.

ANY employer who gets repeatedly harassed about their policies has every right to fire the employee.

He was fired in March of 2015. Of course, FOX brings it up now...

Through emails to hospital officials and later posting on the hospital’s Intranet system, Dr. Church cited irrefutable medical evidence that high-risk sexual practices common to the LGBT community lead to (among other things) a higher incidence of HIV/AIDS, STD's, hepatitis, parasitic infections, anal cancers, and psychiatric disorders.

Promoting such behavior, he said, is contrary to the higher mission of the healthcare facility to protect the public welfare and encourage healthy lifestyles. Dr. Church also reminded the administration that its staff and employees represent a diversity of moral and religious views, and many believe that homosexuality is unnatural and immoral.

Source from June
edit on 1/6/2016 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Oh my, I didn't read that.

Doctor Church...........Bwaahaha

Priceless!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I too would like to know why this doctor equates the dangers and unhealthy 'lifestyle choice' of the LGBT community to that of smoking cigarettes.

I guess it just goes to show you can hold a high degree in school and still be an idiot
might e coming from the same sort of mentality of climate change/ caugh caugh global warming .....Try researching the Hegelian Dialectic and you will come across many unrelated counter arguments to move society to the synthesis . In Canada we are taught that French is the opposite of English lol ....they use what ever tool they an find ...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

]

Some members of the hospital staff were apparently offended by Church's remarks, some of which cited Bible verses, and an investigation into Church was conducted.

Apparently there is some religous views in play here

I dont think his reasons are valid, EVERYTHING we do is dangerous, so if that is his claim, he shouldnt be treating anybody
But still think he should be allowed to choose who he wants to help or not as a doctor, just as i think everybody else should be allowed not to help him in any ways, if they dont want to, no reasons needed other than they right to choose for yourself
But like i stated in my previous post, logic and free will means nothing. power/money/votes decides everything, and there is no such thing as free will, sadly, you have to follow the rules

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I don't see from the article that he was forced to do anything or to like, sign a pledge or something. He disagreed with Hospital policies which affirmed the LGBT lifestyle.

His problem with the hospital stemmed from his emails and vocal complaints about the Hospital policies. So his mistake was in vocalizing his opposition to the Hospital polices and programs.

So, the message here is, you may not agree with a PC agenda, but you had better keep your mouth shut about it and go about your work in silence if you want to keep your job. Its kind of like racism; you can hate whoever you want for any or all of the wrong reasons.........just keep it to yourself.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   

In answer to your question in the title -- No. But I think there's a much greater problem here.

“Behaviors common within the homosexual community are unhealthy and high risk for a host of serious medical consequences, including STDs, HIV and AIDS, anal cancer, hepatitis, parasitic intestinal infections, and psychiatric disorders,” his email said. “Life expectancy is significantly decreased as a result of HIV/AIDS, complications from the other health problems, and suicide.”

What the good doctor is actually trying to say is that patients are being harmed in many ways by the hospital's current approach/attitude to the gay lifestyle -- physically and mentally and emotionally. He wants to treat these patients to the best of his ability. He wants to treat them effectively and appropriately. The hospital refuses to heed his fears and warnings and continue doing exactly what the doctor knows is harmful to the patients.

The greater concern is the coordinated (often abusive) tactics to shut down any talk or discussion of his very real concerns to serve a political agenda, with no genuine concern for the many hurt in the process... and if they can do it in this situation, they can do it any situation. Vaccines perhaps? Medical marijuana? Cure for cancer???

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

So, the message here is, you may not agree with a PC agenda, but you had better keep your mouth shut about it and go about your work in silence if you want to keep your job. Its kind of like racism; you can hate whoever you want for any or all of the wrong reasons.........just keep it to yourself.
Tells me that there should be a class on ethics and integrity from grade one onward ...but noooooooo.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Don't worry, eventually you'll be given jail time for not wanting a relationship with the same sex.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I don't know why my post would make you go to teaching ethics and integrity. How ever in the world did you get to that?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:20 PM
link   
First many of you are reading something into what I said. so let me clarify

I never said he was being forced to participate in LGBT lifestyle, that is the article that says that.

He BELIEVES that the LGBT lifestyle is a dangerous one and therefore does not want to positively participate in the promotion of it.

I personally don't think that a monogamous lifestyle is dangerous.

Having said that let me reiterate my point.

Should a person be forced to participate in the promotion of (insert your own) something they themselves don't agree with?

He has not discriminated against anyone here, he just wished not to be forced to participate in the promotion of that which is does not agree with.

If you feel they should be forced into participation of something they disagree on please state why

edit on 6-1-2016 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

In answer to your question in the title -- No. But I think there's a much greater problem here.

“Behaviors common within the homosexual community are unhealthy and high risk for a host of serious medical consequences, including STDs, HIV and AIDS, anal cancer, hepatitis, parasitic intestinal infections, and psychiatric disorders,” his email said. “Life expectancy is significantly decreased as a result of HIV/AIDS, complications from the other health problems, and suicide.”

What the good doctor is actually trying to say is that patients are being harmed in many ways by the hospital's current approach/attitude to the gay lifestyle -- physically and mentally and emotionally. He wants to treat these patients to the best of his ability. He wants to treat them effectively and appropriately. The hospital refuses to heed his fears and warnings and continue doing exactly what the doctor knows is harmful to the patients.

The greater concern is the coordinated (often abusive) tactics to shut down any talk or discussion of his very real concerns to serve a political agenda, with no genuine concern for the many hurt in the process... and if they can do it in this situation, they can do it any situation. Vaccines perhaps? Medical marijuana? Cure for cancer???

So people shouldnt swim in the water, cause there is a chance they get eaten by a shark?

I get what your saying, but i dont know what exactly this hospital is promoting? is it unsafe gay sex? or are they just promoting some events? cause there is a difference
Is this guy saying you should always do exactly as the doctor tells you? cause that has been proven to not always be safe aswell...

the question asked in the op Should People Be forced to Participate in Things they don't agree with?
No, so why he worked there in the first place i dont know, but lets turn the question around, should the hospital/other staff be forced to participate in things they dont agree with?? No, it goes both ways
Now he is free to promote what ever lifestyle he think is right, so he should be happy

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join