It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For all those "Living the Dream" Lego pilots.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This came past my Avgeekery feed this morning. It's a comedic look at the lives of an airline pilot as portrayed by Lego people:

www.avgeekery.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Going to have to show that to our resident twelve year old Lego/aerospace enthusiast. I just helped him build a custom F-35 to add to his fleet. He's most proud of his microfigure scale 747. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Going to have to show that to our resident twelve year old Lego/aerospace enthusiast. I just helped him build a custom F-35 to add to his fleet. He's most proud of his microfigure scale 747. Thanks!

Is the F-35 you are speaking of the 3 in 1 one? I built that with my son last week, it is awesome!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I have way, way to many LEGOs...It's bad, really bad.

That's only about 3/4 of them. I have about 1/4 more. Some are "seasonal" like the Haunted Mansion:

I still haven't put together the Parisian Restaurant:

2,469 pieces on that one. The only one close to that I've done was the Tower of Orthanc. That one had like 1,900 some:

My name is MystikMushrom, and I am a Legoholic. If anyone wants to talk LEGO with me, just shoot me a PM.

ON TOPIC:

How often do pilots really mess around or get "known" for joking around on the radios? Is there a certain amount of "give" you can get away with?

Also...I don't know what a "holiday" or "day off" is either. They usually take leave away from me, use it or loose it.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I love these! Especially the maid knocking. Sadly, most of the truths about the aviation industry are why I never really pursued it. It's a horrible job for about the first 5-7 years. And even after that, there's very little job security and any health issues can completely screw your career.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Heh, guys, should we tell him about guns and cars and tools?

Nah... this is cheaper.

Mystik I give you a hard time, so I'm not going to stop. Your wife lets you display all those? Share your secrets. When I moved in with the girlfriend there was a ban on my framed Vader recruitment poster. There was a slight protest this is my house! but she won. Not trying to knock you, but she was right.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Dude, no Lego Death Star?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Witty comments on the radio are often welcomed if they're in good taste and in an acceptable environment. Like if a guy accidentally makes a PA on the radio, expect a litany of good hearted jokes directed his way. But in that video the whole "On Guard" stuff is frowned upon because of all those Guard Nazis out there who often step on someone when they are trying to broadcast a legit emergency on Guard.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sammamishman

Dude, no Lego Death Star?

No...Good catch though. I have the UCS R2-D2 still in the box. Heh. I bought it on Amazon for under $200 sealed/new ... it's now selling for $419. And that's with Prime shipping, from the same seller I bought it from originally. LEGO -- an overlooked investment.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: justwanttofly

When you say "guard" are you referring to the National Guard?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:52 AM
link   

No. There's a radio frequency that is only used for emergencies or to contact aircraft that are out of contact that's called Guard.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   

121.5, the dedicated emergency frequency. The vast majority of commercial aircraft monitor it on radio 2.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Gotcha.

Do you guys forsee using sat comms for commercial airlines anytime soon? That would effectively negate the "out of range" aspect for communication...

To expensive to bounce messages to/from space?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:30 PM
link   

They already do. Some airlines have used it for years now.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Do they do it for trucks too? I mean they have Sirus radio, why not also have satellite CB radio, that might be fun ... you could talk to people all over the world that way.

I bet the airline industry has either their own dedicated sats or gets some kind of corporate rate. I also imagine they probably only use that form of communication when they're out of normal range of towers and other planes -- say out in the middle of the ocean?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   

They use a computer system that is supposed to be satellite based to send messages to the truck and track your location, but that's it. You can put a normal radio in and talk to people half a world away. We used to do radio checks in Hawaii and get replies from Australia.

They use companies that send data over satellite.
edit on 1/7/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

People keep giving my 8 year old grandson (who I raise) LEGOs.

He's a hyper high functioning autistic.

Guess who gets to put all of them together.

Just did the Mini 3D Pixel Pac Man. So many tiny pieces.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Ouch... lol I've been slacking and haven't seen what new LEGO stuff is out there. Pac-man sounds like a lot of tiny, YELLOW pieces. I hate LEGO builds where it's all the same color. A lot of the SW stuff is all grey, and that kinda gets boring.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Had to build Elsa's Sparkling Ice Castle on Christmas morning.

Yes it was for my daughter, I promise.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 03:28 PM
link   
See guys?! Aren't LEGOs fun even as adults?! It's kind of sweet to just follow detailed instructions and before you know it be like, "woah, look at what I just put together! Go me!"

On topic of the two OP videos...

Why do they load planes from the front to the rear? Why not load the rear seats first, moving forward? I can't tell you how much it sucks having to fight past people to get to the back few rows when boarding.

If they want to pamper the 1st and business class people, let them on last while they continue to sip drinks or be pampered in some kind of lounge. Let us miscreants hobble into steerage first so we're out of sight/smell of the aristocracy.

And I'll tell you this...if you take the overhead storage over MY seat and you sit like 5 rows in front of me? We're going to be having some words...and your bag is going to be yanked out, thrown into the isle and mine put above me in MY space that I paid for that accompanies my seat. I'm sorry other people are dragging their entire wagon train of crap onto the tiny pressurized capsule of hell that comprises "coach"...not my problem.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join