It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Bradbury Reads His Poem "If Only We Had Taller Been"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Hello everyone I made this as part of my graduating project and I really want to share it with the world. The main goal of my project was to capture 21st century human society by analysing it and then translating this information in to visual design. Using this to help accelerate the global discussion on humanities future. This way I want to destroy that what already exists and make people see beyond the hyper-real. This way I want to make people aware of their surrounding so they can reflect critically on what is really happening around them.The speech is absolutely timeless, such a beautiful work of art. So much meaning, so much potential. It gives me goosebumps every time. I hope you guys will enjoy this, I certainly did whilst editing it.

The story comes in 6 chapters. You can view the others here

Collaboration is the key to evolution.

Seven.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: sevensheeps
I listened to it twice. Thanks for posting that. Very moving

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Fahrenheit 451 and the Illustrated Man were among his best. In there he challenged the paradigm, better yet.

I don't now about this poem of his, like everything else back when, the written word was designed to appeal to the most people to be more popular to earn more for Publishers.

Mixing The rockets red glare and god is on our side kind of droll is outmoded, I thought.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Neysa

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I loved Fahrenheit 451, Bradbury was almost spot on, though I personally think we live in the worst of those worlds. Part one of my video series is inspired by those books www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:10 AM
link   
The poem is a wonderful summation of his career as a writer.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Thanks for reminding me of My Dinner with Andre, truer worlds were never spoken.

Everyone should listen to the linked YouTube by OP. A whole five minutes of your time, please.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Haha I know, amazing speech taken from an movie that is so relevant for our time. I filmed that in Pelješac, a peninsula in southern Dalmatia in Croatia.If you can hook up a good sound system because the music is so much better. We have a small house on the coast. Amazing place to be, I recommend everyone if you can go. Dark skies, pure foods, beautiful wine. I should have posted this on member art, I hope the mods forgive me..
edit on 6/1/16 by sevensheeps because: spelling

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

I've heard that poem so many times during the edit and it still takes me away every time again. The guys was almost prophetic.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Amazing place to be, I recommend everyone if you can go. Dark skies, pure foods, beautiful wine. I should have posted this on member art, I hope the mods forgive me..

Sounds nice. One of those redoubt bubbles Andre was speaking of?

Shhh… must be why you are so un-polluted, very refreshing.

I live in the US, west coast, sf gay area, silicon valley in an HOA, with my infirmed main scream mother.

The worst of all those places. The only thing saving me from the infection of modern mind meld is I periodically go unplugged to see it from the outside and maintain my objectivity. inoculation from this monstrosity we have built we call we call civilization.

Bradburys poem, reaching to get beyond to evolve to some new understanding. I get that, just leaving out the rockets. Everyone is going there, we can't get there from here, we have to pass first.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Sounds nice. One of those redoubt bubbles Andre was speaking of?

Yes exactly, haha. The changes that have taken place in the last 50 years alone resulted in a world where there is more and more information, and less and less meaning. Modern day culture is akin to a factory producing standardised cultural goods that are used to manipulate mass society into passivity. The culture industry undermines our individual choice and it fosters a powerful distraction which ultimately destroys any meaningful appreciation of reality. Like I said before we world where there is more and more information, and less and less meaning. Very interesting material. Anyone interested in further reading on this should check out "The Culture Industry: Enlightenment as Mass Deception"by Theodor Adorno.

I live in the US, west coast, sf gay area, silicon valley in an HOA, with my infirmed main scream mother.

Sounds nice, I live in the South of The Netherlands. People are iceskating on the road up North.

Bradburys poem, reaching to get beyond to evolve to some new understanding. I get that, just leaving out the rockets. Everyone is going there, we can't get there from here, we have to pass first.

I'll be playing this speech the first time I'll go into orbit I'll tell you that.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hi Ray fans.

Very nice poem, BUT, WHY do I have the feeling I heard
that BEAUTIFUL music before ??!! B-)

Blue skies.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I for one am glad to have stumbled upon your thread and review the links.
Culture Industry, surely one means of control. Part of the gilded cage we all set in to some extent, well mostly all.

At least some see it as a cage and want to change it.

I've been off grid most of my life, I have always marched to that other drummer. Not a popular place as we can see from the attention garnered here. People are off arguing the ramifications of this and that cultural icon somewhere else.

Ho hum. Bookmarked that dinner with Andre except you used in your YouTube video for future reference. Needs the right thread to get wider dispersal.

Have a better one.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I for one am glad to have stumbled upon your thread and review the links.
Culture Industry, surely one means of control. Part of the gilded cage we all set in to some extent, well mostly all.

At least some see it as a cage and want to change it.

I've been off grid most of my life, I have always marched to that other drummer. Not a popular place as we can see from the attention garnered here. People are off arguing the ramifications of this and that cultural icon somewhere else.

Ho hum. Bookmarked that dinner with Andre except you used in your YouTube video for future reference. Needs the right thread to get wider dispersal.

Have a better one.

Dinner with Andre is best viewed with a drink.

Take care!

new topics

top topics

join