It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's never too late to introduce myself

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Hi ATS -

I hope all is well.

I wanted to take a few minutes of your time to introduce myself. My name is Tony and I was a child of the 80's. Cable TV was all the rage and by the time the Discovery Channel launched, I was hooked. One particular show made a very lasting impression upon me: Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World. This show was the impetus for future inquiry into the realm of the unknown/other-worldly/paranormal/etc.

The Internet wasn't too far away from being in most homes by high school, so my inquiry was given a very resourceful tool to learn from. Make no mistake about it, I was young, naive, gullible, and a whole host of other things that would create an environment in my mind capable of fostering some 'out-of-the-box' thinking. Not that I would fall for anything just I felt there was something 'else'. Whether it was the existence of ghosts (as a very young child I lived in house that was VERY old and was thought to be haunted) or alien visitation, I wanted answers.

Fast forward a dozen years or so, I find myself googling 'time-slips' and stumbled upon an ATS thread. I think I read threads until 4AM that first night. I lurked for a few weeks before signing up, but never got around to posting an introduction thread. After 15 months I thought I would give it a try, so here I am.

I hope to be able to encourage civil, spirited debate, but also hope to bring myself into the wider ATS community by posting an introduction.

Any and all manner of replies/questions are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Cheers,

Tony
edit on 6-1-2016 by BeefNoMeat because: Omission

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Welcome Tony. It's a bit late, but I think you'll like it here. Topics range from mind-numbingly thought provoking to tinfoil hat craziness. Up to you to decide which is which.

edit on 6-1-2016 by BlackmoonJester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Welcome Tony! I'm an 80's kid myself, I used to have a pager! Who remembers those!

You'll find a lot of interesting discussion here when you participate rather than lurk, just don't be discouraged by any negativity you will inevitably occur!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   

As a 70's kid. Leonard nemoy took me in search of.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

Did your pager give phone numbers or actual text?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

numbers, #420 was a common one

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   

LMAO! Nice!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Bwhaaaaa. Haaaaaa. Haaaaaa. Beep me!!!! I had one of those big ones that took text Input by an operator!!!!!

Welcome home Beef!!!!

We've all been waiting for you!!!!

PS, pass me the cable box,., will the cord reach??

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Hell, I dunno, I always made pirate boxes, just never SOLD them

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Welcome!!! =D

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Welcome to the boards Tony, look forward to your contributions!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Thank you all for the welcomes.

I totally forgot about pagers... from what I remember the number paging you would generally have some 'code number' (e.g. "420" 'putting it in the air'; "911" 'stop avoiding me and call your girlfriend back ASAP'; etc) following it. Damn, dem were the days.

Looking forward to future discussions. Hope everyone has a better 2016 than 2015.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 11:27 AM
link   
LOL!! Hi.

I remember the my little ponies, the creepiest most plastic halloween costumes, and the crazy bang flip that took a whole lot of hairspray in order for my older sisters to achieve. I was on prodigy by the time I was 12 and I still remember the dial up sound. Wow, things escalated pretty quickly, didn't it? Neat tho.

Cool intro.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

Definitely remember my little ponies -- I have a younger sister. Speaking of which, there's an entire sub-culture of my little pony followers called, "bronies". They're generally middle-aged, white men that dress up. The Stern Show has a guy drop in on their annual convention and interview attendees. I thought it was a joke at first. Nope. Not a joke. Bronies are for real. If you have heard of them before, you know exactly what I'm talking about, otherwise it's really hard to capture the true astonishment I had upon learning how big and widespread the sub-culture is.

Thanks for the compliment on my intro

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Greetings and Salutations! It's Grand to Have You aboard MotherShip ATS!!

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Welcome Tony,

I'll offer you a virtual handshake. I'm very fond of the '80's, hit the teen years back then myself, thought I was grown but not even close. Better day's, or so we thought anyway. I remember my lil ponies, pagers, bag phones and even when there were pay phones everywhere. Definitely remember Mr. Spock but I really liked Kirk although it wouldn't have been the same without Bones and Scotty. A lot of the stuff going on now was brewing and in the works back then and even before, but as you already know this is a good place to dig into all of it. Glad you finally decided to jump in, might as well make it with both feet. See ya 'round the boards i'm sure.

Oh yea,

Live long and prosper.
edit on 1/6/2016 by InconspicuousObserver because: Forgot something

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS, Tony

Totally remember Mysterious World!

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Welcome Tony.

I am a new member here too but with quite a few years experience with ATS as a whole.

Thank you for your welcome on my introduction and looking forward to sharing points of views with similar thinking people such as yourself and bringing a little more respect and decorum here.

Kindest

Lags

posted on Apr, 11 2016 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I hope to be able to encourage civil, spirited debate, but also hope to bring myself into the wider ATS community by posting an introduction.

Thus far, based on this statement your participation has been a total failure.

I recommend rereading that statement and making a more truthful attempt at civil discourse.

new topics

top topics

join