It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I need help with email file paths on windows 7 . Anyone .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Here is the thing , late last year i was retrenched along with a few others . Nothing odd about that except the choices they made were rather odd . The company refused to show us the selection criteria saying it was private and confidential . I just lost my job and they would not show me where my weak points were , bullsh!t they did now have any criteria except their mates . Moving along at the first hearing they were ordered to produce the selection criteria . Well they tried to argue their way out of it but were told i no uncertain terms to produce it . Well they emailed a copy to our reps and a couple of days later i went in and tried a little experiment . I had the email forwarded to my hotmail , right clicked ( or left ) and up in the right hand side a box opens up . I select file path traced it down a bugger me theyhad started editing the document about 45 mins before sending , finished editing 3 mins before sending then sent the document .

Now for my problem if you are still with me .

My old computer died and it was running windows 7 ultimate and the file path was fine . Now with the new windows i no longer have the file path option . Perhaps it was because the old computer was a lenovo and this one is a HP i just dont knowv . I have even considered swapping over the hard drives but money will soon be an issue . On a brighter note the document itself has a few give aways . I tried mucking around with it in hotmail but got nothing . When i copied it to documents i could open it up and bugger me it was another companies document edited on the day of the hearing .

Heres an incentive even though i know my fellow atsers wont need one . This has become not so much about getting my job back or the money but about getting this low life lawyer to lie in court . I just want him to say this was a xxxxxxxx document then prove he lied .

Any responses will be much appreciated , thanks in advance hutch622 .
edit on 5-1-2016 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Are you trying to locate the document, or show that it's been altered? If they sent it, there should be sent copies that show the actual original text. I am not sure how you can see that they edited.

Are you till using Win 7? Is this in Windows Mail?

I am not a pro here, by any means, but can try and ask someone I know who is far more tech savvy, with enough details.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I have the origional document and can prove that it was not my companies and that it was edited . What i am after is the whole file path from the lawyer to my reps . This information also includes modification times . In other words it shows when the final email was sent , when they began modifying the document , when they finished modifying the document and then sent it . This was all available on my old computer and silly me i did not make a copy . All i can bring up onthe new computer is view source .

ETA i rang around and found a company that will restore file paths for 99 dollars , seems a bit dumb to get them in if it is a simple fix . PS they were very confident they could do it .
edit on 6-1-2016 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

Oh and cheers for your help .

edit on 6-1-2016 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 12:52 AM
link   

What email client were you using? I am assuming that you have an email with an attachment that you consider unaltered and later the altered document ended up in some kind of litigation?

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

It sounds to me you are looking for the email header information, is that right?

If that is the case you need to click view source from a right click menu.
edit on 6-1-2016 by Jonjonj because: addition

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BIGPoJo

I am using hotmail . The document loads ok but the file path shows it was altered shortly before sending . Also when i send the document to documents and open it , it shows another company authored it back in 2013 , it also shows it was edited shortly before being sent to my rep . That information in itself should be pretty damning but if i can marry it up to the file path the lawyer should be back peddling .

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

View source is still there but the file path was much more accurate for want of a better word .

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:13 AM
link   

I am not sure I understand, if you are using a browser for reading the email, as opposed to an email client, all the relevant header information should still be there.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

I am not sure how to explain . I used to be able to open hotmail , right click an un opened email and a box would open up with everything that had happened from its inception . Talking ip addresses , who it was sent to with the time , also any changes that had been made .

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Try a different browser. Strange as it may seem, some browsers offer different options, I think firefox has an advanced headers option available for example.

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

I dont even know how to explain it , the file path comes up under a new box and has every alteration/email recipient in order with a timeline . Nothing can be hidden if you have changed a document .

posted on Jan, 6 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I dont even know how to explain it , the file path comes up under a new box and has every alteration/email recipient in order with a timeline . Nothing can be hidden if you have changed a document .

Can you post a screenshot of your email client and this feature you are talking about?

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hotmail will open on any web connected computer. Go find an older (vista or XP) computer and try there.
I know what you are saying although I could not find any examples or info. At best all my headers show is the computer name and real IP. I remember using outlook 2000 or 03 many years ago and it would show the file path for the attachments. I thought it was funny what some people named their desktops and how they organised their files. I tried with Outlook and I also tried the "view source" in hotmail using IE 11 and Chrome.
Sorry.

posted on Jan, 7 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: staple

Thanks for the reply , i tried opening the file path on another computer and found the required information . The display has changed somewhat though from when i last checked in 2015 . Perhaps hotmail has changed the format , previously it was quite easy to find what i was looking for . I guess i have a few options , highlight and print , print the lot and i am guessing it would be a lot of pages , or take my laptop with me and remember roughly how far down the page in which to start looking . Below is what i was looking for .

Staff.pdf";
size=186947; creation-date="Tue, 2015 03:58:00 GMT";
modification-date="Tue, 2015 04:54:20 GMT"

This kind of tells me they had a need to change the document and along with other things he forgot to cover up hopefully i can expose him for the snake he appears to be . PS i took the date out of the quote .

new topics

top topics

join